Have a neck issue. Need a light weight open can.
Sep 24, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #16 of 32
Lol the sennheiser surrounder. I wish they still had them.

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #18 of 32

[size=1.7em] Sony MDR-MA900 or AT AD900 are my current two favorites. Not sure about the new Sony as it appears to have great potential but a weird housing. I want a huge sound stage.[/size]

I have had the AD900 in the past and hated the pads but know how to fix that issue now.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

[size=1.7em] Looks like a good model for me. I have tried the PFR-V1 but that cable is too short and HORRIBLE. I mean, what the heck are you doing with that? Barely even bit enough to conduct electricity lol. I wish it was a wee bit less expensive but I can swing $200.[/size]

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #19 of 32
Just bought a pair of used 558s for $110. Going to mod them a bit, play with the damping material.

Kind of like what I did with my Samson sr850s which might be the ugliest headphones ever now that I changed from blue to lime green fabric.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s204/davidandrewway/DSC01994.jpg

I figure if I don't like them, I can get about the same $$ back.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:
The modded KPH7 actually weighs more than the RS-1, or at least it feels like it.

Oh, well there goes that idea...
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Let's think out of the box on this one:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol the sennheiser surrounder. I wish they still had them.

No, you don't. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Ha! Just get the neck brace hardware mounted on that and you're set!
tongue.gif

All he'll need is neck pads... lots and lots of neck pads.

Quote:
Just bought a pair of used 558s for $110. Going to mod them a bit, play with the damping material.  I figure if I don't like them, I can get about the same $$ back.

As long as the mods are reversible it should be fine. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #22 of 32
The MA900, if the F1 are any indication, will have a very good soundstage. Sony's Auranomic design is exceptional for staging (this is based on all of the other Auranomic models I've heard). swbf2cheater wrote a review of them a while ago if you're interested. Regarding the PFR-V1 - they're designed to use the booster in-line, hence the shorter cable. Cable thickness is really not a big deal for headphones, especially sensitive ones, because you're talking about extremely small values. I wouldn't worry about it (and honestly a lot of headphone cables are pretty small conductors and a lot of insulation).

The Sennheisers you picked are also a good choice - I just wanted to make clear on the previous page that they aren't the only choice. I'd probably agree with ditching 3D Wing - I couldn't get that system to fit my head right. :xf_eek:

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #23 of 32
Just not enough data on the Ma900s yet. I do not like the pfr v1 stock at all bc of the cable and the bass tubes just are a tough sell. I tried the grommet mod and it worked a bit. I still found the sound weird.

So I went with the safe bet. No harm in that. I used to have $$ to burn. Now I can't afford to make mistakes.

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #25 of 32
i second the ad700, they are very light and comfy.

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #26 of 32
Got the 558s. Did the foam removal. Very good, neutral can. You can listen to them for hours. I think I prefer a more lively sound though. Like Beyer for instance. Any other open headphone that compares to an 880 for under $200?

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:
I am thinking Senn 518, 558 or 598 now. Seems like they are the only do-it-all cans that are both open and light weight.

The 518s were some of the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever worn. I didn't like them at all. The bass is very bloated and boomy, and the ear pads will have you sweating within 20 mins. I don't often rip on headphones cause I know there are people who own and like this model, but if you go with the Senns I'd really encourage you to go with a different model. 

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

The 518s were some of the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever worn. I didn't like them at all. The bass is very bloated and boomy, and the ear pads will have you sweating within 20 mins. I don't often rip on headphones cause I know there are people who own and like this model, but if you go with the Senns I'd really encourage you to go with a different model. 

Quote:
Got the 558s. Did the foam removal. Very good, neutral can. You can listen to them for hours. I think I prefer a more lively sound though. Like Beyer for instance. Any other open headphone that compares to an 880 for under $200?

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #29 of 32

Not to be the guy to say "told ya so" but...:rolleyes:

Anyways - Grado SR-225, Sony MDR-SA3000 or 5000 or F1...what else was in my original list'o'suggestions...:xf_eek:

Might also step up your budget a bit and just get the 880s if thats what you like (I've seen them, and/or the 990s, for around $200-$250 on Amazon from time to time). :cool:

For example:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Beyerdynamic-Open-Studio-Headphones-Ohms/product/B0011UB9CQ
http://camelcamelcamel.com/beyerdynamic-DT-880-Premium-250/product/B000F2BLTM

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #30 of 32
i cant recommend the Beyers as they dont really seem that light. They are pretty tight on the head and are kind of side heavy. so if your leaning your neck at any angle you will start to feel the pressure.  Maybe the T50's or DT 1350's will work(if you want Beyerdynamics), as those are probably the lightest Beyers out now. That's just my two cents on the Beyers.

I'm purchasing either the sony MDR-sa5k's or the f1's as i want a really light weight super open designed headphones, i have minor neck problems myself, probably no where near your level, but my reasons behind the Sony's are because i record and edit live recordings and listen to those type of sounds, and want to have the same sensation of extremely airy sound like some have described these headphones to be. Personally the lack of bass isn't relevant as i will be using my Subwoofers along with them when i need deep bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back