Have a neck issue. Need a light weight open can.
Sep 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking to upgrade my trusty SR 850s. I have been almost killed 6 times now and although I am a tank in most respects, I still have issues with heavier headphones over long periods of time. 

What modes should I consider? I am thinking maybe the FA-011, Beyer 880. Something with a bit of bass to it. Just unsure if they are heavy as I have had the 880s in the past but can't recall.

Oh and side note, where are all the modded cans on the FS nowadays? Seems like nobody is selling anything modded except Fostex.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 32
The lightest open cans I've encountered were the German Maestro (formally MB Quart) models. I have the old QP 400, but it doesn't have much bass. I recall reading that the newer versions do have more though.

The usual suspects, such as Sennheiser aren't heavy though. HD-598s maybe?

Sep 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 32
I would prefer a 880 over the 598. I guess my real question is the FA 011 lightweight or not? I tend to think not. 

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 32
I am also weary of heavy phones. If you are talking about weight alone, the Grado RS2i is the lightest pair of phone I owned, however whether you can tolerate the somewhat harsh, bright Grado sound with peanut soundstage is another matter. I sold mine eventually.

I also have the FA-011 latest natural wood color version, they are heavier than the RS2i but still easier on the head than your SR 850. However if you buy one of these neck support chances are you will be good with most cans already mentioned.

http://www.calderaintl.com/

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 32
I use the Koss UR40 or Audio Technica Ath AD700 when i want some lightweight non-vise grip goodness. I play em through my Onkyo 8555 stereo reciever which helps with the bass if am in the mood for some thumping.

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:
I have been almost killed 6 times now

R U guys serious?  Four responses so far, and no one is curious about why this guy is living out a Final Destination movie in real life? 
eek.gif

Sep 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 32
Just a couple of near misses. Car accidents, drowning, military fun. The car accidents are probably the cause of the neck issues though. One in particular put my head into the roof with my seat belt on. I am way stronger than I was. Just can't wear Lamba Stax for example. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 32
Sep 24, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #10 of 32
Pioneer looks interesting for the $. Not much info on the sound though. I see one review so far and that one says the bass is weak. Are they kind of a AD700 or what? I do play FPS games so a large sound stage is a plus.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #11 of 32
Some assorted thoughts (and not all of these are current production, stars on models I have not personally heard or owned):

Sony:
MDR-F1 (200g, they feel like wearing a cloud)
MDR-MA900* (under 200g, even larger than F1, should be even lighter feeling)
MDR-SA5000 (around 240g, almost as comfortable as the F1)
PFR-V1* (really no idea about these - I've seen wildly conflicting measurements and reviews, but they're supposed to be the lightest headphones Sony has ever made and they're certainly OPEN)

Grado:
RS-1 and RS-2* (RS-2 is the lightest Grado in production iirc, but both are very light-weight (240-260g) and easy wearing)

Audio-Technica:
ATH-ESW9 (closed, but under 200g, very good sounding too)
ATH-EW9* (spec is like 40g on these, they're on-ear clips, no idea what they sound like - but they're one of the lightest headphones I've ever seen spec'd)

Personally I'd probably try MDR-MA900 first, based on the F1 they should be cloud-like, and they're lighter and larger (which should mean even better). Larger driver should imply more bass response (I've seen this confirmed in measurements, but not measurements I would consider as good as what Tyll produces). The Beyer headphones are in that 350-400g range, and might be too heavy. Same for Ultrasone and AKG - overall they're lighter than say, a STAX or a PRO4/AA, but there are lighter headphones available if you really want'em (woodies or magnesium-framed Sony models, basically). If you want light-weight and bass, I'd go ESW9 (this is why I bought them up) - they're absolutely stellar performers for as small as they are.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:
Pioneer looks interesting for the $. Not much info on the sound though. I see one review so far and that one says the bass is weak. Are they kind of a AD700 or what? I do play FPS games so a large sound stage is a plus.

I wouldn't say that it has a weak low end (especially when amped).  But now that I think of it, no one will ever call them basshead-capable by any stretch of the imagination, except for a little bump in the mid-bass region.  And now that I think about it, it has a remarkably close soundstage given that its open.  Oh well, I'm sure someone will come along with a whole list of suggestions soon enough...

::enter obobs::

Quote:
MDR-MA900* (under 200g, even larger than F1, should be even lighter feeling)

Oops, forgot about that one... plus I haven't heard it yet TBH. 
smile.gif

Well, since obobs is here - and we're talking about lightweight cans and mods - maybe you'll want to give his isobaric Koss KPH7 mod a try:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-august-update-0

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #13 of 32
I am thinking Senn 518, 558 or 598 now. Seems like they are the only do-it-all cans that are both open and light weight.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #14 of 32
Oops, forgot about that one... plus I haven't heard it yet TBH.  :smile:

Well, since obobs is here - and we're talking about lightweight cans and mods - maybe you'll want to give his isobaric Koss KPH7 mod a try:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-august-update-0

The modded KPH7 actually weigh more than the RS-1, or at least feel like it. The stock ones are very light, but beyond decent mids, they're nothing spectacular (they cost a whopping $4.88 though :rolleyes:). The cable is too short though - would need an extension for normal use. Otherwise they're really not bad (again, they are $5).

I am thinking Senn 518, 558 or 598 now. Seems like they are the only do-it-all cans that are both open and light weight.

Eh? I'd disagree. The Sony and Grado cans also fit into that, and imho are much less boring/drab, and the AT woodies are better too. Also these are all lighter and less clampy than the Sennheiser models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back