Have 931's Now, What To Buy Next?
Oct 7, 2002 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello again,

Oh supreme headphone wisdom collective. I currently have the Beyer DT-931's and the Corda HA-1. I've converted to headphone listening for 3/4ths of my music for about a year now. This was originally due to the fact that the time that I have available for listening is almost always while on the pc, and my main system is two floors away.
Over the course of time, I have indeed been hooked on the enjoyment of headphones. Unlike many/most of you, I dont plan to have a sizeable collection of them. I've been quite happy with the 931-Corda combination, but, of course, you always want to improve the quality of your listening if its possible. In that regard, I will likely have Kurt W Blue my amp soon.
I think I need to acquire another pair of headphones to experience what else is out there. The trick is, there are simply not any of the upper echelon headphones available anywhere near my area to audition in person and so, I'm going to have to rely on your group expertise to help me out here. I've been dutifully reading this forum for some months now, so I have an idea of what to expect.
I did have the chance to try the Sennheiser HD600's and thought they were excellent phones, but I didnt find them superior to my 931's. I enjoy the sound of the 931's a great deal, but I do sometimes wish for more bass than they provide.
And so, here is the situation. I only plan to purchase one, or, at the most, two more headphones to cover all my needs for the future. Certainly if someone came out with the "next ultimate headphones" that represented a quantum leap in technology and sound quality, somewhere down the road, I would look at that at the time, but based upon what exists currently, which one or two headphones would you recommend I purchase given all of this?
I listen to a fairly wide range of music, including quite a bit of rock, folk, celtic, film soundtracks, new age, and a lot varying styles of female vocals.
Just off the top of my head, having read everything posted here for quite a few months, the Grado RS-1's, RS-2's, Sony CD-3000's, and maybe the AKG K1000's all seem to be possibilities (missing out on the Headroom blowout on the K1000's is STILL really ticking me off though). Since I cant audition any of these, I would truly appreciate your perspectives, thoughts, suggestions and advice. Thanks.

Oct 7, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 10
Nightfall

The DT931 is awesome. Stick with it and don't worry about the other headphones until or unless you get ready to do something major.

The KurtW mods are very good I can vouch for. If you like Meier's sound and ideas, you might decide whether his upcoming preamp is right for you or not, too. But then of course, you might want to sell the HA-1 if you couldn't use it anywhere else.

I didn't look to see what your source is but you might want to look there too. If you use the PC as a source a lot, an outboard DAC is my preferred next step.

Also, you did see the thread in this forum about DT931 after market cables right? I'm sure the StefanArt would give you more bass. In fact, I wonder a lot if I might prefer the DT931 & cable to my HD600/Cardas.

Oct 7, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 10
Kelly,

Thanks very much for the advice. I REALLY am happy with the 931's. My source isnt the pc though, I have a Sony XA20ES that I use in the pc location. Maybe the Blue mod, and the Stefan cable are all I should be thinking about. Thanks again.
Oh, and just as a suggestion, if you like his music, the new Peter Gabriel "Up" cd, which I am listening to at the moment, sounds incredible on headphones!

JC

Oct 7, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 10
Originally posted by kelly
Nightfall

The DT931 is awesome. Stick with it and don't worry about the other headphones until or unless you get ready to do something major.

The KurtW mods are very good I can vouch for. If you like Meier's sound and ideas, you might decide whether his upcoming preamp is right for you or not, too. But then of course, you might want to sell the HA-1 if you couldn't use it anywhere else.

Any guess how much Meiers preamp is likely to run? I've been wondering about that, as an alternative to having my Corda modded to Blue.

Oct 7, 2002 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 10
I've been listening to Up quite a bit too and I agree.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 10
If you are like DT931 alot AND want to try other phone, then try SR-325.

DT931 is a better phone over all, but SR-325 has very sweet mid, impactful bass and very strong 3D that DT931 is missing. However, some might consider colored sound, mega-bass feeling and tiny soundstage.

Beside SR-325, no other phones I have heard similar to DT931.
What kind of sound characteristic you are looking for from the new phone? For under $100, you may want to try AKG501. 180 degree different from DT931, very light sound and supreme up-mid, but no bass.

Oct 7, 2002 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 10
I have to say.. if you are very happy with your phone.. save up the money for other use. There are so many wonderful things that can be done and not only headphone. As soon as you realised that you have spent too much on headphone.. you will start regretting your action( at least I do.. bought impulsively..).
Unless you have no other hobbies ,then may I suggest that you look for weaknesses in ur dt931.. then u buy a headphone that will compliment ur dt931.

Oct 8, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
So...

How does DT931 + Blue Corda match up?

What CD player would make that shine, without being "overkill"?

Hmmmmmm...........well, I know what the standard Corda and the 931 sounds like, Kelly knows what the Corda Blue sounds like.......but I dont know that he has tried these together........
someone must have tried this combo and be able to answer this question....................

Oct 8, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 10
>_< *winces at mention of "a quantum leap in technology and sound quality"*

tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back