Haunted/Possesed Audio Equipment
Mar 25, 2006 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Naga

500+ Head-Fier
Im not trying to make a joke of this; but I am curious if anyone here has had gear in their rig that has shown signs of being possesed or whatnot by spirits, evil or otherwise. And what signs the said haunted equipment had. I would wager it with old/antique stuff thats passed hands several times or simply been with one person for a Very long time before being sold/passed on.

anyway, chime in if you like

Score one for team solid-state, i doubt an op-amp can be possesed with an evil spirit, cant say the same about a NOS vacum tube.

regards

Naga

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 21
well sometimes the transformer in my melos will emit a low level hum that you can hear externally, but never affects the sq of the signal - little ghosts make their presence known in there, but are nice enough to not mess with the signal. until some gremlins entered recently and futzed one of my nice tubes - those ghosts didn't have a chance!

come to think of it, that tube was a first-run tube from holland...the Curse of the Flying Dutchman, anyone?

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsabo
my pimeta doubles as a portable gateway to hell, and my X5 holds back the spirit of adolf hitler.

do you find that the gateway to hell increases the warmth of your amp? would it pair well with grados?

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 21
It is a little known fact that most well designed DACs are Ecto-Containment Units. So you have little to fear
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

well sometimes the transformer in my melos will emit a low level hum that you can hear externally, but never affects the sq of the signal - little ghosts make their presence known in there,

If DC on the AC line can be considered a ghost then you are haunted
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
If DC on the AC line can be considered a ghost then you are haunted
wink.gif

dammit, someone come over and excise it! how do i get rid of this poltergeist? better Monster Power traps? or does it require replacements via body snatching that transformer outta there?

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 21
I bought a pair of K-1000s and there was a lot of negative energy in my bank account. Even before I received them. Can you imagine that?

More seriously, though, I've got a good story. In undergrad, my friend Jeff had an old TV set that would mysteriously turn itself on. I did not believe him at first, but I saw it happen more than once. It was built before IR remotes, so it wasn't someone else's remote accidentally turning it on. Very, very creepy. One of his roommates would beg him to get rid of it.

Unfortunately, there's a rational explanation for it. When I started getting into old radios, tube gear, audio gear, headphones, and the like, I learned that some older TV power supplies would deteriorate and turn themselves on.

As for older gear, I have a bunch of old tube radios and have collected for ten years now. The oldest is a 1920s Atwater-Kent neutrodyne set, but I have a lot from the 1930s through the 1960s. All of them have had previous owners and been exposed to (I suspect) all manner of human activity. That being said, I haven't seen anything that could be considered a haunting. Unrestored sets have done some weird stuff when I bring them up on the Variac (I replace the filter caps immediately, then slowly bring the sets up to see what, if anything, is going on with them). But I've always nailed that stuff down. Sometimes it's an old wire that's shorting a little under the insulation and sometimes it's a carbon resistor that starts misbehaving when it gets warm. But there's always an explanation and there's always a fix. Once restored, they perform beautifully.

As a side note, there are few things better than jacking a good pair of headphones into a 1930s-1950s era communications receiver, aka "boatanchors" because of their weight. They have *excellent* AM and shortwave reception, and are really a joy to listen to, especially with good headphones. You would wish there were more AM stations playing music.

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
dammit, someone come over and excise it! how do i get rid of this poltergeist? better Monster Power traps? or does it require replacements via body snatching that transformer outta there?

excorcist and it aint cheap !

you want I should don my purple robes and come over ?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 21
Dont' know how old i exactly was but i am going to take a guess that i was around 10 during this incident.Was staying the night at my cousins house sleeping in his living room with me on one couch and my cousin on the other.For some reason i woke up,not because something woke me up but becausei just did.Anyways next thing i know the radio behind be which is an old radio turns on and it sounds like it is changing stations.At first i think it is my cousin that has woken up also and is wanting to listen to some tunes but i turn to my right and i see him on the couch asleep.Needless to say i was freaked so much that i did not even bother to turn around.

I told my cousin about it and he was not the least bit surprised.He told me he thinks that he had ghost in his house al along.Other things happened later that day also.

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #14 of 21
here's a story. Back in the day when I was still on dialup, I needed to keep the line disconnected for some reason or another, so I walked over to the phone jack and physically unplugged the cord from the wall. Then I sat back down on my computer and something wasn't right. I was still connected! I started browsing the net and explaining to myself this wasnt possible. The phone plug was lying on the floor, I didn't own any type of wireless connection, I was browsing pages that weren't cached. I got all excited and called the entire family down to see this amazing event. Then I realized, I had just unplugged the cord to the telephone, not the modem
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back