Has the fake ath-m50 arrived?
Sep 22, 2010 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 384

ourfpshero

Headphoneus Supremus
take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Headphones-M50-ATHM50-Bulk-/250699341276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5ed85ddc#ht_921wt_704

seems to be. a sad day for us due to counterfeits once again.
frown.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 384
Fakes prevent me from buying anything internationally... I want to buy a MTPC and what if what I bought turns out to be a fake? Can't return them, money wasted...
frown.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 384

Quote:
How do you know that the Headphones are fake?

1: it's from china 2: he's selling ten pairs 3: each one is sold as is, phones only, those reasons seriously raise questions on the validity of these phones because what ever the hell happened to all ten boxes and the accessories?

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 384

Quote:
1: it's from china 2: he's selling ten pairs 3: each one is sold as is, phones only, those reasons seriously raise questions on the validity of these phones because what ever the hell happened to all ten boxes and the accessories?

also, bulk packaging?...they might not come with the accessories, but they should arrive with the factory box no matter what

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 384
     Quote:

Quote:
buffalowings said:

also, bulk packaging?...they might not come with the accessories, but they should arrive with the factory box no matter what

Yea i know, they are really strong indicators. I wouldn't purchase from him. But i meant, how can tell that the phones are fake from looks irl?
Just so that i can tell the difference if i decide to purchase a second hand pair.

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 384
theres no specifics since its a new fake and not many people have it/know they have it.

But general build quality, sound quality and unsmooth edges on the plastic would be your best bet in looking for a fake.

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #11 of 384
Haha, out of concern I googled "fake ath m50" and this thread came up as #2. So you`re all pumping the drama, yet another possible fake headphone is yet another thorn in the eye for the audiophile. (lolz)

I`m going to post some pictures and take the phones to a nearby store to compare with a authentic set to see if we can spot some differences between the two. 
Kind of hoping that they are refurbed in China, the Chinese do good on making broken/old new again. And the excel in making copies of anything, so I fear for the latter.

So stay tuned folks, it`s going to the next level, ONE WAY OR THE OTHER!
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//redface.gif" title="
redface.gif
" width="" />

(Man, I can almost TOUCH the tension..!)

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 384
Just Wondering,

I received a pair of Ath-m50's (COILED CABLE) from ebay for ~$95 (Including Shipping). I cannot retrace the exact seller of the product, but the headphones were NOT from China, but either from Hong Kong or California. These headphones were bought around August, but what puzzles me is the color of the box.

From these videos and images :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPJbs4j-5sY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN2F3HrEKvk&feature=related

, the color of the box is BLUE with a flap covering half of the headphones.

The box in which I received my headphones are instead, TEAL, and did not have a flap covering the front of the box. It also did not have the top part of the box, the "Hanger-like"flap used to hang the product on shelves, etc..

I remember the product description on Ebay stating that the product has the 1 year Audio Technica Warranty. I received that in the box, the leather carrying bag, the adapter, and manuals / other printed documents.

The left side of the headphones, just around the swivel area, there is a small circular dot that sticks out just a little bit.

I'm personally really satisfied with the audio quality, headphone construction, cable durability, etc.. , but just the strange color of the box and random dot on only one side of the headphones that really puzzles me. I currently do not have a picture of the box, but I will update my post as soon as I find it.

Anyone else have similar issues with the Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones?

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 384

Quote:
Just Wondering,

I received a pair of Ath-m50's (COILED CABLE) from ebay for ~$95 (Including Shipping). I cannot retrace the exact seller of the product, but the headphones were NOT from China, but either from Hong Kong or California. These headphones were bought around August, but what puzzles me is the color of the box.

From these videos and images :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPJbs4j-5sY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN2F3HrEKvk&feature=related

, the color of the box is BLUE with a flap covering half of the headphones.

The box in which I received my headphones are instead, TEAL, and did not have a flap covering the front of the box. It also did not have the top part of the box, the "Hanger-like"flap used to hang the product on shelves, etc..

I remember the product description on Ebay stating that the product has the 1 year Audio Technica Warranty. I received that in the box, the leather carrying bag, the adapter, and manuals / other printed documents.

The left side of the headphones, just around the swivel area, there is a small circular dot that sticks out just a little bit.

I'm personally really satisfied with the audio quality, headphone construction, cable durability, etc.. , but just the strange color of the box and random dot on only one side of the headphones that really puzzles me. I currently do not have a picture of the box, but I will update my post as soon as I find it.

Anyone else have similar issues with the Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones?

Yes, do update with a picture. Although, mine are from an authorized dealer, my box doesn't look like the one pictured above either. I think the one you're describing are the newer ones. My box, the top lid folds up and the color is light blue-ish, the rest of the box white, and the dot on the swivel part, I think all m50's have that.

As long as you didn't buy it from a bulk dealer based in China which (Hong Kong is in China btw), I think you're fine.

Mine was made in Taiwan.

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 384
Got mine today, they are NOT new. The screws / some parts of the headphones has bumps/small signs of "I`ve been dismantled". They are not fake though, as sound quality is as fuc*ing amazing as the ones I tried @ the local electro store. 

So refurbished headset, authentic drivers/cans. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #15 of 384
You know, quite often these days the fakes are produced in the same factory as the originals. That is how they get them to be so authentic. They run the same designs out of hours making a few shortcuts. Either that or someone leaks all the design data to a competing factory.
I had a fake Jabra bluetooth headset off ebay. Confirmed fake by Jabra. The audio quality was almost indistinguishable from the authentic ones and included all the same features and presumably that means the same electronics. Also the box was indistinguishable apart from a tiny bit of a misalignment in the different inks used around the hologram (which was also done perfectly).
You can't trust anything except Authorised dealers really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back