Has burn-in changed your IE8?
Feb 5, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 132
Yeah guys how much Burn in time is required? DavodMahler what did you find?

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 132
Yes, my comments on IE8 burn in can be found here

Here are some of my burn in points, from memory:
- 20 hours of burn in the soundstage opened up and the bass extended
- 70 hours the treble started to come out
- 100 hours the mid-bass hump was greatly reduced
- 150-170 hours they surpassed the Phonak PFE (w/black filters) in detail. Mid-bass was down even more from 100 hours, and the treble was opening up. The soundstage seemed to widen quite a bit more.
- 200 hours the treble kept opening up and the mid-bass hump was down even more leaving a warm presentation
- 250 hours the treble is fully opened up, audible to 17KHz (my hearing might be limiting that) see here for more detail.
- 250+ hours, really enjoying them
biggrin.gif

Burn in time depends upon personal taste and what other headphones you listen/compare to. Some people like it out of the box, some don't. I didn't, but now I am loving it!

I believe it takes somewhere between 200 and 250 hours to fully burn in, YMMV.

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 132
@average_joe: What reference did you compare the changes to? Did you have a pair of fresh IE8 on hand for A-B test all through the burn in period for comparison?
And all through 250 hours, have you always used the same equipment (source, amp, cabling) and accessories (tips, bass settings, etc)?
Thanks!

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 132
i think with 250 hours of burn in...its your ears that are burned in..not the headphone.

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 132
^ hows your IE7 burning in?

i ran them on pink noise one nite..and noticed the soundstage really improved

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 132
I liked the IE8 immediately, and didn't think they sounded crap at all out of the box. But I liked them a whole lot more after 10 hours or so, not because I noticed any major changes - but because I adjusted to the sound signature pretty fast. When I had my TF10, I remember thinking they sounded plain weird out of the box (and balanced armatures don't need any burn-in), but it did take me a few hours to adjust to the different sound, by which time I loved them. So my 'ears' adjusted, but the sound didn't change. With the IE8, I like them more all the time - but I'm not convinced it has anything to do with burn-in. I think it's just because they sound amazing!

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 132
Im noticing slight changes constantly its so hard telling what is burn in and what is just me becoming more in 'tune' with the sound signature of them but either way im absolutely loving it, never had phones i enjoyed so much

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 132
I agree with soozieq for the most part. I thought they sounded good..not great out of the box. As the days went by and I burned them in while not using them, I think the sound improved a thousand %.. but I am not sure if it was me getting better seal/tips or if it was just burn-in. It was probably a combination of both. Either way I am loving them. Just wish the stalk was a tad longer to go further in ear...that is my only complaint. Small price to pay though for the sound the produce.

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #12 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with soozieq for the most part. I thought they sounded good..not great out of the box. As the days went by and I burned them in while not using them, I think the sound improved a thousand %.. but I am not sure if it was me getting better seal/tips or if it was just burn-in. It was probably a combination of both. Either way I am loving them. Just wish the stalk was a tad longer to go further in ear...that is my only complaint. Small price to pay though for the sound the produce.

a thousand % huh?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back