Has Apple added Gapless Playback for the iPod??
Sep 24, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
it took me a week of hardcore troubleshooting and losing 3 libraries, but i finally got everything working perfectly. it's worth the trouble - gapless is so sweet, i put both Madame Butterfly and Tosca on my ipod last nite!

Congrats, Jahn. I never thought I would see the day that an Apple product required "a week of hardcore troubleshooting" to get working properly. Even though we enthusiasts are iPod customers too, the average joe six-pack has neither the knowledge or interest to perform such troubleshooting. I wonder if Jobs knows what's happening with the 7.0 release?

Sep 24, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4metta
Yes but they did it minus the rockbox crashing.
biggrin.gif

You mean minus Ogg and FLAC support? Of course.

Sep 24, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #18 of 28
Makes me kinda glad I use foobar, now I get gapless and good playback. >.>

Edit: Oh and I have a 4g and I still have gapless. At least I'm pretty sure it was a 4g. I got it replaced under warrenty but it's a 40gig so that should be the right gen.

Sep 24, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #19 of 28
really? that's actually big big news that a 4G can have gapless!

Sep 24, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #20 of 28
Why use either when you have Apple Lossless or aac?

Sep 24, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
Makes me kinda glad I use foobar, now I get gapless and good playback. >.>

Edit: Oh and I have a 4g and I still have gapless. At least I'm pretty sure it was a 4g. I got it replaced under warrenty but it's a 40gig so that should be the right gen.

are you using rockbox for your iPod?

Sep 24, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #24 of 28
I can't help but wonder why iTunes needs to "determine gapless playback information." A proper gapless implementation should simply play all files without introducing additional gaps.

Sep 24, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oga
Its called - choice.

If one uses Lossless, ALAC can be converted to FLAC and vice versa, so really, all the choice in the world. The major issue would be OGG. With lossless, Ogg in many ways is going to be a thing of the past. Massive DAP HD's on the horizon not to mention larger flash sizes means that lossy formats will eventually die out because size won't be an issue anymore.

I'm as much an open source zealot as the next guy, but in terms of music, with lossless transcoding...these worries are a thing of the past (in refernece to music anyway).

As for gapless, I have a 4G 60GB iPhoto...using iTunes 7...still no gapless
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
I can't help but wonder why iTunes needs to "determine gapless playback information." A proper gapless implementation should simply play all files without introducing additional gaps.

That's because Apple goes out of it's way to "Think Different" (sic). Different thinking in Apple-ese usually involves 1) proprietary methodologies; and 2) locking users in to their products (which ties in with 1)).

That said, I admire Apple as a company, and wouldn't mind if they threw me a Macbook Pro.
cool.gif

Sep 25, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Massive DAP HD's on the horizon not to mention larger flash sizes means that lossy formats will eventually die out because size won't be an issue anymore.

I doubt lossy formats will die out. Mainly because space will always be an issue. Not only do you have music on DAPs but now other media as well (video). So I doubt people (general public) will go to lossless and fill up all that space that can be consumed by even more videos. So until DAP capacity gets large enough to hold the average users complete music collection and video collection...I think lossy will be hanging around for sometime.

The only way I can see lossless becoming the standard anytime soon is if the size of the files were decreased considerably. At this size (and drain on battery life) it's just not to popular except to a select few enthusist. When it's possible to get FLAC under 9mbs then that's when I'll switch to only using lossless. Until then I'll use that much needed space for my video collection.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #28 of 28
Which is why Apple's version of aac format is so great. It sounds better than mp3 and takes up less space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back