Has anyone tried the new AKG 77 or 99?
Aug 26, 2008 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
Just curious if these are worth trying or not. Looking to see if they have a large sound stage or are just beaters.

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 14
Dammit. Am I going to have to buy a pair to find out?

I know these are not vintage enough for Fitz but thought maybe somebody has heard them.

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 14
Well, then they are m'eh. Just wanted to know if they were ok for cheap movie/gaming cans.

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 14
If I would have seen the AKG 77 before I purchased my SB40 and the Zalman Mic, I may have ordered them to try them out. They look a lot better and more comfortable than the SB40, but who knows about the sound quality.

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 14
yeah. since I or apparently nobody has ever heard them....

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #10 of 14
I know I'm bumping an older thread, but I have a pair of K77s. They have balanced overall frequency response to my ears, although the highs are a little disappointing. Bass is better (not thumping or cheesy) than the K110's I compared them too. They also isolate very well (with no leakage) and are reasonably comfortable. I am looking to replace them for two reasons:

• They are REALLY light plastic. This might be a plus for some, but they don't feel particularly durable to me.
  • The sound, while fairly flat, is "muddy." It's hard to differentiate different instruments, and the soundstage is small.

All that said, I have enjoyed them in my dorm because of the comfort and isolation. They are not too bad for $50.

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 14
Stop bumping threads! Just kidding.
I'm actually glad you did and I saw these at Guitar Center and wanted to know more about them.
My location seems to have two cheap (small) pairs of AKG headphones.

They do look a bit silly though.

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 14
I bought a pair of K77s to bide me over until I bought a pair of decent closed cans for my portable set-up. They are ok cans, quite neutral sounding, not exactly hi-fi, flat and a little muddy would be how I would describe them; I guess they would do for gaming/movies. Fairly comfortable, and isolate well without clamping too hard. They are ugly as sin though and you look very silly with them on, and the lower band moves while you walk and makes a horrible noise, so you definately don't wanna wear them out and about :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back