has anyone tried Boostaroo amp?
Aug 6, 2002 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rex545

New Head-Fier
i am looking for a inexpensive portable headphone amp and i stumbled across one called boostaroo for only $20 http://www.boostaroo.com/ anyone tried this or could you suggest a inexpensive good one?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 10
HI: I started out with them form radio shack. I bought 2 of them and dasey chaned them toghther and enjoyed them at the time. This was befor I got here and gave them to a friend of mine who really likes them. I offered her my total airhead and she said no thanks what she has is good enough.

Aug 6, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 10
If you search the forums, I think you will find that the boostaroo has a large suck factor, try and get yourself an Apheared 47 or Meta 42 built by someone (like JMT), or try and build it yourself (www.headwize.com has the plans).

Aug 6, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 10
The forum also says that the sony mdr v900 sucks to but I think it sounds very good for a closed can. Where can you get an amp made for 20.00? Now in time you can move up to way better stuff for way more money.

Aug 6, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 10
Laugh all you want, y'all. As I have written before, the Boostaroo allowed me to enjoy the benefits of amped Koss SportaPro's for a long time until I sprung for a decent home system. It seems to work well with that lineup of cans in particular. I think it has to do with the middle-ground of their ohm rating (60ohms). they take advantage of any amplification thrown their way yet do not make the "hiss" from the Boostaroo so noticable (a commonly cited flaw).

For the money it may have given me my best return on the dollar of any equipment I have purchased, in terms of $$::hours of use &enjoyment. Yeah, my Sony DV-500+DiMarzio IC's+Creek OBH-11+Senn 580's sound leaps and bounds better, and I find it difficult to go back. But it all cost more than a bit more.

Aug 6, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 10
jpelg
HI: radio shack has the same thing. Have you tried dasy chaneing 2 of them together. My friend has them now and whont get off them. She has the koss-35 that I gave her also and whont use her pcdp without the two amps. She says wow what a difference they made. I never heard any hiss buy the way with the radio shach ones.

Aug 10, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
If you search the forums, I think you will find that the boostaroo has a large suck factor

oh my god this quote is probably the funniest damn thing i've read on head-fi so far

Aug 10, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 10
lol I agree isotope240 (oh... and, welcome to Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif
)

The only one comment i'll make is simply, you get what you pay for... as long as you don't expect miracles from the boostaroo it won't disappoint... but if you then start demanding more and more from it, it'll let you down in a big way

Aug 10, 2002 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 10
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for the welcome! i must admit... i am a little embarrassed that my first post was in regard to the Boostaroo, but i guess we've all gotta start somewhere, and right now, even the legendary Boostaroo is more than i have! however, i did just reserve an HA-1 and DT931 from dr. meier, so wish me luck. oh and i realize this thread isn't getting many views, but i'd like to thank everyone for all of your generous and helpful posts... i'd be REALLY lost without you guys!
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 10
You're welcome isotope240
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully the Corda and the Beyers will be just what you're after... be sure to write up a review at some point
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back