Has anyone scotch-brited their ES7? Too shiny for me.
Nov 3, 2008 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Hanafuda

500+ Head-Fier
It's not just the mirror-polish being too 'blingy' ... it's keeping the damn things looking clean that's driving me crazy. I'm thinking real hard about taking a scotch-brite pad to the stainless cap on both earcups and hopefully give them a 'matte' stainless finish. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 9
I'm not sure if steel wool would leave you anything more than a lot of scratches.

I guess you could try matte spray paints or lacquer, coloured or clear. Just make sure you tape or cover up parts that you don't want them sprayed.

If you are extreme, I'd suggest very fine grade siliconne carbide paper. You'd turn the surface matte and smooth, and removing any printing on it at the same time. drop a few drops of water on it and very gently rub in a circular motion, becareful not to touch any area that you don't want to be sanded, and you could tape it up to be safe.

Or the simplest would be to just get some suitably sized round stickers. May be from auto/bike pimping shops?

Nov 3, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 9
whoa, this is the first time i've heard of someone trying to get rid of the es7s shine, IMO wouldn't the "screen protector" stickers be good enough to keep them clean? not sure hey.. they still might look smudged but safe from scratches

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 9
thx for the input guys.

steel wool is a big no-no ... it'll probably do the job, but what happens is tiny little pieces of the steel wool get embedded in the stainless, and act as rust seeds. Something I learned on gun boards.

stickers .... hmm. i like that.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 9
Maybe look at the ES55? Audio Technica went a more sensible route with these iterations of the Earsuit line, making the finish a matte black or white as opposed to the shiny, scratch and fingerprint-prone "iPod backplate" silver.

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 9
Try a bse skin on them (much like the screen protector chews89 suggested), it should get rid of quite a bit of the bling.

Best Skins Ever, Inc. Home Page

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just going to screw up your headphones dude.

you're probably right.

btw i'm not worried about scratches and normal wear. It's just the fingerprint muck I can't stand. But yeah, I don't want to ruin them. I bet bead blasting would do a great job, but not worth the trouble and expense. I may try stickers if I find just the right thing.

as for the ES55 suggestion, thanks but if ever replace the ES7 it'll be to upgrade rather than a lateral move. I'm really more interested in finding the right full-size circumaural right now though, not another portable supra-aural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back