Has anyone put a *really* good 12AU7 tube into the Bravo Ocean?
Jul 7, 2017 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Shawn39

New Head-Fier
I'm wondering if it's worth the money for maybe a $100+ Mullard or would I be better off putting that into a better amp in the future? Like if I add a $100 tube to this $100 amp will I get a $200 amp or is that too much makeup on the pig?

Has anyone done this and was it worth the money? I have the Genalex 12AU7 in my Ocean now. Not bad, but could be better.

I guess this applies to the other Bravo amps as well.

Thanks!

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 6
I think the last time I read up on the topic (since I also own the Bravo audio ocean) the concensus was that the tube in this hybrid amp behaves more like an amplification buffer, which is why it has a relatively high power output for such a small and cheap amp.

And since there is also a solid state component in the amplification, tube rolling won't offer significant benefits as they would in pure tube amps.

I'm also curious if anyone has tried it though. It might be fun changing the tone slightly with a cheaper tube.

Jul 10, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 6
I think the last time I read up on the topic (since I also own the Bravo audio ocean) the concensus was that the tube in this hybrid amp behaves more like an amplification buffer, which is why it has a relatively high power output for such a small and cheap amp.

And since there is also a solid state component in the amplification, tube rolling won't offer significant benefits as they would in pure tube amps.

I'm also curious if anyone has tried it though. It might be fun changing the tone slightly with a cheaper tube.

Well the buffer would just be a unity-gain thing, so the power is coming from the transistors. Even if this is true (and it probably is) you'd still expect *some* sort of contribution from the tube or why use a tube at all, right? I just wonder how much difference a really good tube might make but I think the only way to know is to buy one and see, and that's a lot of cash just to put on a hunch, for me anyways. I'm using a Genalex in my ocean now and it sounds pretty good but it's still only half way broken in and I don't have anything else to compare it to. I'm buying a DAC next so maybe after that I'll spring for a good tube and we'll see (or hear!).

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm wondering if it's worth the money for maybe a $100+ Mullard or would I be better off putting that into a better amp in the future? Like if I add a $100 tube to this $100 amp will I get a $200 amp or is that too much makeup on the pig?
Has anyone done this and was it worth the money? I have the Genalex 12AU7 in my Ocean now. Not bad, but could be better.
I guess this applies to the other Bravo amps as well.
Thanks!
I really doubt adding a $100 tube to a $100 (or $80 shipped from China) Bravo Ocean is worth it.
But you might try reading up and asking on this thread.
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/4948/bravo-headphone-amplifiers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back