Has anyone of you done a cable upgrade for your computer monitor (or even TV)?
Jul 15, 2006 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Zorander

Headphoneus Supremus
A lot of people are using upgraded cables above the standard copper freebies for their audio gears, but I rarely hear of anyone doing the same to their computer monitor, TV and other visual devices. Is it because the improvements are not as significant for video applications or is it because too few have tried (and reported) it?

For example, I am using the stock D-SUB VGA cable for my Sony Trinitron monitor. It looks bloody good from the first time and even now. Given all this cable madness, I am curious whether a cable made from a 'higher-grade' material such as silver, spc, gpc, etc. would make a noticable difference to the stock video cable.

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 22
Hmm... I am more interested in hearing your personal experiences.

p.s. Has anyone tried upgrading their CRT monitor cable?
biggrin.gif
I'm sure some of our in-house DIYers have done this.

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 22
The stock (removable) cable is quite thin on most Sony models. We've had trouble with them in some batches. If you simply get a good D-Sub cable, you should be fine. Models with a fixed cable in general had much thicker wire, and no problems whatsoever. You shouldn't mess with those unless there is an immediate problem.

Primary things to look for are cable thickness (thin wires generally show more loss in SQ), shielding (check specs of the mfg), filtering (most cables without filtering at both ends are really, really low end) and caps (screw on types in general only used on higher end cables). There's no real need for gold: if the environment is so humid your connectors get corroded, your monitor itself is lost anyway.

Jul 16, 2006 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonvB
Primary things to look for are cable thickness (thin wires generally show more loss in SQ), shielding (check specs of the mfg), filtering (most cables without filtering at both ends are really, really low end) and caps (screw on types in general only used on higher end cables). There's no real need for gold: if the environment is so humid your connectors get corroded, your monitor itself is lost anyway.

Okay, I want to build one for myself. I have a few questions that I hope some experienced people can help me with.

1) Are there requirements to be followed in regards to wire type? Will normal (stranded) SPC cable work? I have read a bit around the net and it looks like coaxial cables have to be used with some of the pins (which?).

2) How necessary is copper shielding? I don't have any spares with me and they are expensive to order.

3) I'm going to hunt for a ferrite ring on Ebay. What internal diameter size should I look for? Any particular seller you want to recommend?

4) What is the expected cable diameter once finished (AWG or mm)? I'm going to order some techflex for sleeving.

Thanks!

Jul 16, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Is it because the improvements are not as significant for video applications or is it because too few have tried (and reported) it?

I think it's because "seeing is believing" and you'd have to physically point out improvements on a display. In an audio application you can *think* you hear improvements which aren't really there.

Jul 16, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 22
Any analog connection deserves a proper cable. The good thing is that with video it is much easier to point out a better signal than with audio. If your TV is properly calibrated (and it should be, get yourself one of those DVDs to do it, video essentials or whatever) you will notice more picture depth for example, and you are also much more likely to identify the benefits of proper shielding.

Jul 16, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 22
I use aftermarket cables on my video equipment.
The plasma in my lounge has Mark Grant custom component cables feeding it, my DVD player uses QED PCV1 component, Sky+ uses IXOS scart, the Xbox has IXOS upgraded cables, my bedroom LCD uses IXOS scart and Profigold HDMI.
The only one that doesn't really provide much difference to me is the HDMI, the stock cable seems to be about as good as the aftermarket.

I find the video differences easier to recognise than the audio ones, I'm still not sure of my own opinion on audio cabes.

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 22
Please read more carefully guys: he's talking about a Sony Trinitron MONITOR. So we're not talking about TV's and aftermarket video cables.

Quote:

The only one that doesn't really provide much difference to me is the HDMI

HDMI is flawed by several things:
- The connector is small, and easily breaks esp. inside the equipment itself. Even in perfect conditions the contact area is limited.
- The cable itself is thin and has lots of lines. This leads to huge amounts of loss. Esp. on longer cables (5m), the loss of information is easily visible, even when using the more expensive cables. It shows up as noise on the screen, and is cleaned up only by using a much shorter cable.

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonvB
Please read more carefully guys: he's talking about a Sony Trinitron MONITOR. So we're not talking about TV's and aftermarket video cables.

Oh I think we are, look again
wink.gif

Anyway, every kind of video monitor needs proper calibration to show its full potential, computer-screens included.

Jul 19, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 22
Does anyone have any pointers on building a VGA cable? I have spare 22AWG SPC cables that I can use for the RGB channels (and 24AWG CAT5 wires for the H&V synch. signals - I believe these do not require high quality cables?). I am curious though whether using 75 Ohm cables, e.g. Canare 31AWG 3-conductor component video cable, would have been a better idea?

Jul 19, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 22
What about bluejeanscable? I have my computer monitor into an hdmi switch (dvi-->hdmi) and also a dvd player into the switch. It is a computer monitor, so I use the dvd player to play various stuff.

Would it be smart to order a vga/dvi-hdmi/dvi/etc cables from bluejeans?

Also, do power cables matter? My monitor and computer power cables (iec) keep getting disconnected because they are generic and aren't very firm / stable (the connection that is), so I'm planning to get some cables with good connectors, and I'm not sure if it's worth investing in good AWG and stuff.

Oh, and how is proper calibration done? I've had my dell 2005fpw for exactly a year (I believe I got it 1 year today.)

Jul 19, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Anyway, every kind of video monitor needs proper calibration to show its full potential, computer-screens included.

A Sony Trinitron monitor doesn't need extensive calibration. If you put the monitor in auto configuratio, and put color configuration in RGB mode, and set it to 50,50,50 you've got it 98-99% correct. You'll need tools to get it to the next level. But be prepared: only in 1-2% of the cases it'll improve any further. You can use the old Nokia monitor tool to test things (Nokia used FD tubes in their last monitor series). I'm sure it'll float around on the internet.

A good 6' aftermarket VGA cable can be bought well below 20$, and that's already with good shielding, thick wires, filtering and goldplated caps (not that that matters).

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
What about bluejeanscable? I have my computer monitor into an hdmi switch (dvi-->hdmi) and also a dvd player into the switch. It is a computer monitor, so I use the dvd player to play various stuff.

Would it be smart to order a vga/dvi-hdmi/dvi/etc cables from bluejeans?

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/member.php?u=8411

Quote:

Oh, and how is proper calibration done? I've had my dell 2005fpw for exactly a year (I believe I got it 1 year today.)

http://www.colorvision.com/profis/pr...iew.jsp?id=602

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

How much bettter can good caliberation do for an 20" LCD widescreen monitor like my dell 2005fpw?

For your bleanjeans, how much did it run all together (too lazy to calculate now) for thgose video cables, and was it very easy to tell the difference (more or less I am asking if it was a huge difference worth buying the cables right away.)

Still curious about the power cords btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back