Has Anyone Made One of These
Oct 3, 2007 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ChicagoNB

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone been able to create an interconnect where the plug comes out of the headphone jack at a right angle BUT lie virtually flus with the side of whatever it is plugged into? You know, not sticking out a 1/4 inch but but nearly flat surfaced. So if you stick it in an ipod headphone jack the cable becomes trim to the bottom of the iPod and not a large sticking out plug.

If so I would love to see it.

Also has anyone been able to create a lineout that is as thin as the new Nano with a cable coming out the side like EFN did with his.

Would be interested in something like this.

Chris.

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 15
Im looking into doing the same thing. Currently looking at a self braided silver 24-28 awg wire. The right angle nutrik i was looking at wont fit the canare or mogami quads. Where are you located? Interested in splitting the cost? I wont mind churning out an extra one =)

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 15
Sure. PM me.

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 15
it doesn't sound like the cables aych is making match what you're describing, ChicagoNB. i don't know of any neutrik connector that would sit flush or close to flush with the surface of the device it's plugging into.

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 15
You might be able to get part of the way there by using a right-angle Neutrik, but with something like epoxy or heatshrink instead of the metal shell.

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 15
Yeah I checked out Neutrik and agree. Does anyone know who might sell such a connector or cable? I done some searches but can't find anything that's more than just basic prefabbed cables.

I guess the question is it even physically possible to do?

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I checked out Neutrik and agree. Does anyone know who might sell such a connector or cable? I done some searches but can't find anything that's more than just basic prefabbed cables.

I guess the question is it even physically possible to do?

such a connector would be very tough to DIY, for sure... it's difficult enough to solder the connections and isolate them from one another in a plug with a normal-sized body, so it would be devilishly tough to do so in a connector with essentially no body at all. what you're describing would basically just be the plug itself, and then probably a small flat piece on top (~1/8") that contained all the connections. i don't know of any connectors that are set up like this. if you find one, certainly post it here, because i'd be interested as well.

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 15
I've got a photo of a little right angle adapter I made in my signature.

I use it with a SiK Imp to go from iPod dock connection to portable amp for lineout.

Sik makes a similar cable but with a male connection now, so the DIY adaptor is kind of 'old school' now.

None of this is even close to 'flush' to iPod body however...

I could imagine taking a phono plug and grinding it down to nothing, soldering the leads in, and encapsulating the leads and connections into a super flush / compact plug made of epoxy or similar resin. Very custom, and a lot of work, but clearly possible to do.

Doing the same with a dock port / lineout is probably possible, but maybe another order of magnitude harder IMO.

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 15
No but your right angle connector is the closest I have seen to what I am looking for. What type of connector is it? Can it also be converted into an interconnect witht a male plug at each end?

I don't have enough experiene where to even look for a place that carries such connectors to even begin searching. Let alone even trying to make one. I fear it would be a year long trial and error before I was able to finish or get one to work since I've never made a cable before in any form.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Chris.

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No but your right angle connector is the closest I have seen to what I am looking for. What type of connector is it? Can it also be converted into an interconnect witht a male plug at each end?

I don't have enough experiene where to even look for a place that carries such connectors to even begin searching. Let alone even trying to make one. I fear it would be a year long trial and error before I was able to finish or get one to work since I've never made a cable before in any form.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Chris.

PortableSetups008.jpg

The right angle plug I used is this: http://www.westlake-electronic.com/s...0083/index.htm

Switchcraft 35DRANN are very popular for interconnects, being good and solid, and fairly easy to work with. I've ordered quite a few from the website I linked to.

A straight 3.5 mm plug was 'carved up' rather significantly, so could be merged into the body of the Switchcraft 35DRANN plug. The one I used was a just something laying around at the time - didn't really matter much. The gist is to put the straight plug in an electric drill chuck, spin it, and use a small file to grind the outside of the plug base down so it fits out through the 35DRANN screw-on cover.

The two plugs are joined together with a direct plug-to-plug soldier joint, and extremely short wire jumpers to make the connections.

It isn't really all that hard to do, just smallish.

One can easily make a more conventional interconnect using similar componants, and a short cable instead. A conventional interconnect is a bit easier to do than this adapter.

There's a very good (and quite long) thread on making cables. It's a good and easy way to get started on DIY.

Here's the link: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52044

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 15
so which is better to use quality wise the Switchcraft or the Neutrik? I may have a crack at making a cable by myself. I cant imagine that it would be rocket science but more that connect the dots.

What type of cable would you recommend? looking for a silver clear coat. What gauge?

Why couldn't you take the right hand plug that you made into a flat head/flush mount connector? Then take a small piece of aluminum and fashiona cover to the whole thing to cove and make it look asthetitc?

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 15
Also, has anyone tried making a dock connector where the wire out goes out the back of the assemble or the side similiar to EFN did. I would think having the wire go out the back would be most beneficial to keep the end from getting pinched or crused when put in a case or pocket. How hard is it to make a dock connector?

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 15
the nutrik rules the switchcraft anyday sir imho.
dock connectors aren't too bad if you have a easy clip end and if its only for the line out. if you wanted the line out and the usb and all the features, the 30 some wires are more of a pain. otherwise its only about 4 or so, not a prob

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 15
You could cast a piece that has the same width and thickness as the iPod, with a 90degree connector cast into it. It will add to the overall length of the ipod, but will appear as a flush fitting piece and won't snag anything.

Generally, you can do something like this:

Get some expoxy potting compound or bondo. Wrap the botom of the iPod in a very thin layer (one wrap) of plastic wrap, then coat the plastic wrap with the epoxy/bondo. this will give you a mold that's pretty close to the shape of the bottom on the iPod.

You will need to shape the top of the casting to fit the bottom of the iPod as well, so put some release agent in your mold and fill it with epoxy. When dry, revmove this casting, which will become the top of the mold.

You then need to cast the connector. Drill a hole in the top of the mold in the same spot as the headphone jack and slide your connector into it. Line the inside of the mold with a release agent again, and fill it up with epoxy, then push the connector and wire into it along with the mold top, squeezing out some of the epoxy.

Then it's just filing to get it smooth and some paint.

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 15
try modifying the cable that comes with the iphone.
those are really small docks, and uses a spring instead of an actualy locking clip to the dock port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back