Has anyone here upgraded to suit new musical tastes?
Aug 11, 2005 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

n00b

500+ Head-Fier
MD-33s were the first headphones that I bought (and I thought they were expensive at the time) for my Karma. I used them mainly for listening to rock, but I found that the bass veiled the clarity of the highs, so I upgraded to e3s a few months afterwards. With the e3s, my rock sounded great, all the guitar had such detail and the vocals were strong, but I kind of missed the body that my MD-33s gave my music. Then recently I've started to grow tired of rock and got into independent hip hop stuff.. So now I have a collection of both rock and hip hop, and rock requires stronger highs and strong mids.. The hip hop needs good bass and mids too.. Listening to hip hop with my e3s actually *hurts*, because of the strong highs mixed in with a lot of snare in the background. I'm also beginning to really notice when people whistle their S's in vocals, and that hurts when I have my e3s amped. I'm thinking about getting super.fi 5 pros, and I am aware of the bass -> veiled highs tradeoff. However, I have read that people only think the highs are veiled when there is a lot of bass in the music, because the bass drowns out the highs. This may be benefitial to my needs when I listen to hip hop, it might lessen the sharpness of the snare, and when I listen to rock, which is not as bass heavy, it could still reproduce the clarity in the highs of my e3s. Is this the case? Can the UEs still reproduce highs when its source isn't bass-heavy? Would they be right for me? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back