Has Anyone Heard the XiangSheng DAC-02A?
Jul 11, 2011 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ChadHahn

New Head-Fier
I have had the DAC-01 for a few years now and generally have been pleased with it but noticed today that there is a new model out.  Looking at the specs on the eBay auctions it doesn't look like there is a lot of difference between the two models.  I imagine that it has a new DAC chip and outputs more sample rates but I can't find any reviews. 

Does anyone have one or read any reviews?

Thanks

Chad

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 18
I would also love to know if anyone has heard it, but doubt anyone will have had the chance yet. It appears the DAC-02A isn't a pre-amp as it can't take analog inputs, only digital. They have also added a BNC input.

A further difference is that they have an upgraded version that has the 5670 tube instead of 6N3, but ALSO has other upgrades (capacitors, resistors etc that can be seen on their website). They also appear to have 2 types of both the normal and upgraded version (ie 4 models total)... the difference being CS8416 or DIR9001 receiver interface. It seems a difference between the CS8416 and DIR9001 is that the CS8416 can accept 192kHz signals, but the DIR9001 has much lower jitter... although their spec seems on XienagSheng  says all versions only go up to 96kHz... and I checked this with them and they have confirmed twice neither can do 192kHz.

The DAC chip is the AD1955, which looks good.

Another difference is the headphone output of 100mW to 500mW compared to the DAC-01A which was 300mW to 1000mW. AND opamp socketed for easy opamp rolling.

As you may have guessed I don't know anything about this stuff, just decided recently (and impulsively) to buy and DAC and ended up at this one! I have bought it and should get it some time next week. I will let you know what I think of it then. BUT I am no audiophile and have never had a decent external DAC for comparison.

Jul 31, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 18
It's a totaly new DAC, since it has an AD1955. Which is a good thing. The old dac-chip of the dac-01 is a carefully concealed mystery-chip. I allways like this sort of candor. Just say what you use so I know what to compare it with.

The tubes are a very sensible upgrade from Chinese 6N3p to GE 5670 which are essentially the same tube, but much better and not expensive.

Shame the analog inputs fell victim to the red pencil. Otherwise it would have been my DAC/preamp of choice: a very good tubed dac with just enough analog inputs and outputs to fire up two T-amps in bi-amp. I like to toss in a swear for that! :frowning2:

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 18
I have one (upgraded version with 5670 tube and DIR9001 ) and haven't too much time to play with it to give my opinion of it... My initial thoughts though are that it is a very nice DAC! With my Pioner A300r precision Amp and Dynaudio Contours it sounds great. Unfortunately I have never owned a dedicated dac before this one to compare it with and where my equipment is now it isn't setup and positioned as well as in other places. However, the clarity and detail in the sound doesn't leave me wanting.

My one BIG complaint would be the headphone output. I have a pair of westone um2 which I love but the level of hissing from the headphone output through these IEMs is too much to make it an enjoyable listen. With the speakers it sounds clean though. I will try my grado sr60s soon and let you know. Sorry I can't give much more info but if you have any questions you can feel free to PM me!

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 18
The DAC-01 doesn't sound that great through headphones either.  I don't get a his but the sound is very solid statey I guess I'd say.  I use the tubed output on the DAC, but even if I use the SS one it sounds good.  I've only listened through the headphone amp portion one time and didn't last very long.

Chad

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 18
I sent an email to an eBay seller yesterday about this DAC.  They said that it USB is only 16/44.  My DAC-01 is the same way and unfortunatly the sound is better through the USB than it is through the optical input.

Chad

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 18
Bought the DA02
Have let it run 7 days after first hour of listning.
I found the tube output nicest sound (less accurate 0.1 % distortion)
On SS output hmmm typical opamp sounding oke more detail but less musical.
Headphone is very poor quality, loads of white noise, i think a cheap opamp. (i don`t use it)
Very good dac for its money, i did listen to dac`s from 300 euro till 1000 euro, this dac does get close to 500 euro types.

I use the dac mostly for my teac vrds 10se as cd drive, with tentlabs clock
On BNC it preform outstanding much better then coax rca or usb, usb is nice for background music from labtop to dac.

Now 2nd week i already took out the WIMA caps (horrible mpk`s, nice for in the 80ties) changed them to audyncap plus, woow far more detail.
Next week i drop all the 3 opamps out, change those to burson discrete opamps.
Rectifiers are also exchanged by Schottky diodes 30nSec fast recovery

Now it is burning in will drop a line of comment after next week
wink_face.gif

Just bought second hand  the burson opamps for exchange the 3x OPA6204ap (halfpriced)

This is a two layered opamp, expensive? yes it is but it overrules every opamp i ever listen to
Interested?
http://www.bursonaudio.com/burson_opamp.htm

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #12 of 18
I did get in the burson opamps, only thing is the casing those opamps are a lot bigger.
Burson opamps wooow i was realy shocked about the difference i now hear.
Loads of more air around the speakers lots of detail never heared came out of the opa2604
Depth is amazing dito weightness i now hear tiny details far behind the speaker set.

As if you listen to a 750-1000 euro price tag DAC.
This mod stays
beyersmile.png

Oct 30, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #15 of 18
Yes the cover is a problem.
But i think i make an other cover, witch is higher.
The bursons realy make the dac better listing to
Those bursons preform very well and far behind the standard opa2604 opamps.
Far more detail getting out of this dac.

Yes this is the improved version DA-02

Be careful the opamp sockets in the dac are more layered pcb.
So just remove them for installing the bursons direct to pcb won`t make it run.
So if you like to get those bursons only those with sockets will be able to get it running.
Do not try to get those sockets out of the pcb just use them to install the bursons (disadvantage cover will not fit anymore)

But the dac just sounds 100 % better with those bursons, difference is great (i was shocked when the bursons where sound tested here)
Well i don`t have kids who try to get there hands on the dac, so i don`t care about the open cover.

I find the standard headphone output very low, lots of white noise.
The SS and Tube output are oke
And now the SS output sounds better then the tube output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back