Has anyone heard the Harman Kardon HD970?
Mar 20, 2006 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jas_kidd32

100+ Head-Fier
I wanna know how good this CDP is as a standalone source and as a DAC? I'm thinking of using its internal DAC to convert the digital signal from my PC soundcard.

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 7
A built in DAC will never be as good as an external one, it'll probably be subpar at best. Not to mention Harman hasn't really been kicking out high quality products in the past few years, there have been a lot of breakdowns.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
A built in DAC will never be as good as an external one, it'll probably be subpar at best.

Some people say just the opposite, that it's best to keep signal paths short to reduce jitter and that internal DACs will sound better. I'm sure it really depends on a number of factors, and it's best to compare specific examples rather than making any blanket statements.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Some people say just the opposite, that it's best to keep signal paths short to reduce jitter and that internal DACs will sound better. I'm sure it really depends on a number of factors, and it's best to compare specific examples rather than making any blanket statements.

Um, as a general rule in the rough price range of that player, I've found that there are significant benefits to be found with a dac - especially if someone is attempting to run a signal from a computer to a player to use its internal dac. Personally, I would reconsider the options. IMHO of course.

The HK cd players have a bad rap here in the states because they are only available as changers, which have had serious reliability problems. I do think that they sound descent and I've found that their DVD players sound very nice for the money and have not experienced any reliability problems with them, which apparantly use the same/similar mechanism as the single cd players.

Apr 15, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 7
I have the HD970, and i have to say it's VERY good for the money (paid 300€).
the sound is very detailed, and pretty airy; you get a pretty good sense of space with it (sometimes it's like being in the recording studio
wink.gif
).
Over here in Europe H/K recently started regaining their reputation as a hifi brand, with products like the HD970, or the reciever HK970, which is to be said also very good for the money.
And virtually every Hifi magazine gave it excellent ratings. It even won a price, something about the best European hifi products or so.
But unfortunately i cannot comment on the DAc, as i haven't used it yet - i have the Corda Aria as well....

But it's a pretty nice idea after all. Other brands should copy this, i mean when you pay for a hifi cd player, why not use the DAC for something different as well
eggosmile.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 7
rg: Just for the record, the HK 970 is an integrated amp - the recent stereo receivers are the HK 3380 & 3480.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 17, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #7 of 7
thanks teacher lini
wink.gif

but of of course you're right. ihope nobody bought it now because of me, and tries to figure out how to start that damn radio
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back