has anyone heard of this card?
Jun 9, 2004 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MikoLayer

1000+ Head-Fier
the newest ESI flagship

Juli@ is a really queer name IMO... the card looks really sweet tho, reminds me of white crunch chocolate bars
biggrin.gif
supposedely they just released it to korean domestic market at MRSP of 290,000 Won (roughly $250)

below is a blown up pic for your pleasure...
Julia-lg.jpg

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 9
Well not totally related to sound quality but right off the bat, the specs of the DAC are lower than the emu's.To some that would make it "worst".

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 9
Taken straight from their website :

Quote:

High quality 24bit 192kHz stereo Audio/MIDI interface with swappable I/O socket
Juli@, a PCI based 2-in 2 out audio & MIDI interface. Juli@ provides 24-bit/192kHz recording quality with S/PDIF digital I/O and 16 channels of MIDI. Juli@ is equipped with RCA (unbalanced) and TRS (balanced) connectors at both ends of its unique swappable I/O socket.
User can select his prefered configuration
simply by turning around the analog part of the PCB. The digital and analog parts are totally separate as they are placed on two different PCBs, providing excellent audio quality. This makes Juli@ a new reference for audio quality in this price range of audio interfaces.

the main going thing about this card appears to be the ability to swap the 'interface add-on module' to chose between RCA and TRS - no idea what thats supposed to do tho
redface.gif

all this makes me believe the card is more of recording oriented piece of hardware more so than it is for quality music playback. the manufacturer claims the card is superior to all other competitors, but only time will tell...

i am sure you guys have already read this, but here it goes again :

Quote:

Specifications.
- DirectWIRE 3.0 support
- high quality 24-bit 192kHz ADC: 114dB dynamic range
- high quality 24-bit 192kHz DAC: 112dB dynamic range
- 2 anlog inputs and 2 analog outputs with unique swappable I/O socket design: users can choose between unbalanced RCA I/O (-10dBV) and Balanced TRS I/O (+4dBu)
- Built in digital optical output - 5.1 Dolby digital support
- Digital coaxial I/O (with support for up to 192kHz) - 5.1 Dolby digital support
- MIDI I/O with 1 input and 1 output
- Complete internal digital mixer – enables to monitor digital I/O as well
- PCI compatibility – designed to suit for +3.3V and/or +5V PCI slots
- EWDM driver support for Windows 98SE/ME/2000 and XP

Jun 9, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 9
common Envy24 solution, basic oscilators, better DAC, switchable board balanced/unbalanced, otherwise nothing.. can't hold a candle to E-MU
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
common Envy24 solution, basic oscilators, better DAC, switchable board balanced/unbalanced, otherwise nothing.. can't hold a candle to E-MU
wink.gif

Except it has RCA-type outputs in addition to those stupid 1/4" TRS. Reminds me somewhat of an improved Audiophile 24/96. Layout of the board looks pretty sweet, and well documented (for interested modders). Has Win9x drivers, and more likely to work under Linux than the Emu. Might be worth a look for some people, depending on the price (IMO $250 is just a bit much).

Jun 10, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 9
actually improved ESI Waveterminal 192X I had before.. don't know why are you so mad about having RCAs, I like TRS better myself, having balanced output rather then unbalanced taking same place on the rear panel..

Jun 10, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
don't know why are you so mad about having RCAs, I like TRS better myself, having balanced output rather then unbalanced taking same place on the rear panel..

Because RCA's are standard for stereo audio gear, and most interconnects have male RCA plugs. Also, what's the non-pro use of balanced output? None that I can think of. I can't see why anyone except musicians and mixing engineers would prefer TRS.

Jun 10, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 9
But it does remind me of how ironic it is that the people who mix and monitor the music we listen to don't give a rat's ass about the cables and are more than happy to use TS/TRS
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back