Has anyone heard of Periapt cables?
Jul 21, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #76 of 121
So I followed the FAQ on their website for the Sennheiser 6xx cables to insert them correctly, but I found out that the instructions actually made me insert the pins backwards. I noticed that 1 pin is bigger than the other and after pulling them out with great difficulty, 1 of the cables came separated from the plug. I saw that I pulled some plastic out too. Sort of concerned that I destroyed my headphone's insides. The old cable inserts fine and the sound is fine but I'm afraid the bigger pin made the what would have been the smaller hole lose contact.

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #77 of 121
New member-first poster here. Lurking around for a while. Great amount of info for researchers and those who want to educate themselves on all aspects of headphone related audio. I have been considering upping my game and experiences in the headphone world. I would like to get a dedicated amp, DAC, and balanced cables to get the most out of my Massdrop HD-6XX. I wanted to learn more about the Periapt cables and wanted to get user feedback and experiences from those who use them, and lo and behold, here it is. After reading and watching the reviews it appears they are a quality cable, nicely constructed, reasonably priced. Great customer service and response from one of the owners. All good. Even the negative issues are informative. Which leads me to ask about the microphonics some have complained about. Has this been addressed in their cables to date? That is an issue for me. What if anything have they done or can do to minimize or eliminate this? Is that something that is a customization that has to be requested and is that for additional cost? Thank you Head-Fier’s for your help and feedback.

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #82 of 121
Yes, for me the cable is microphonic.
Is there a brand of cable that isn’t microphonic? Is the problem of microphonics in the external covering of the cable or in the construction of wiring in the cable. I think I need to learn more about the reason and causes as I search for a balanced cable. Thank you for your responses and observations.

Jul 24, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #84 of 121
I see there is a great deal of information on this subject after a quick search. Time for reading and learning.
There is indeed. If I'm using my Periapt cables (I've not purchased one of their portable cables), I'm sitting and listening, so I really don't much care about microphonics, as I'm not doing seated aerobics whilst listening. Any cable that has an outer casing of paracord or something similar will exhibit some microphonics that vary on what you're wearing (i.e., what your rubbing that cable against). I don't worry, since I'm sitting and listening, not moving much. For a portable cable, I prefer rubberized. But the cables I have from Periapt are sturdy, sound great, and are built like a tank. No complaints here.

Jul 24, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #85 of 121
There is indeed. If I'm using my Periapt cables (I've not purchased one of their portable cables), I'm sitting and listening, so I really don't much care about microphonics, as I'm not doing seated aerobics whilst listening. Any cable that has an outer casing of paracord or something similar will exhibit some microphonics that vary on what you're wearing (i.e., what your rubbing that cable against). I don't worry, since I'm sitting and listening, not moving much. For a portable cable, I prefer rubberized. But the cables I have from Periapt are sturdy, sound great, and are built like a tank. No complaints here.

Yeah. I am sitting and listening as well all the time

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #86 of 121
Sitting and listening I have not had any hint of microphonics from the Sennheiser stock cables, Audeze stock cables, Audioquest stock cables, and Forza AudioWorks after-market cables. But sitting and listening I had enough microphonics from the Periapt cable to notice it and dislike it whenever I turned my head a bit. Maybe it's particular to the pairing with the closed Nightowl headphones.

Aug 10, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #87 of 121
I just got my cables a few day's ago, turn around is a bit longer due to covid but they got them here when they said they would. I absolutely love them, got a pair for my he400i and 6xx and for my needs I don't see how a more expensive product could add any sort of value. I've had a few sets of cables for my he400i and they were all garbage in one way or another, not so for these. I'm not an overly picky person in general in my life and that extends to headfi, but I haven't noticed any sort of draw back. I guess I am picky about the peripherals on my computer and this is one of them. I've gone through 4 or 5 keyboards and 5 or 6 mice to find the right ones, now I've got the cables that I enjoy. The keyboard And mouse that I settled on were both the cheapest of all of them but they fit my needs perfectly. These cables are the most expensive I've had but they're in no way expensive in the hifi world. I know where I'll be getting my cables any time I need them.

Attachments

• CAP_0406.JPG
    CAP_0406.JPG
    822.2 KB · Views: 0
Aug 13, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #88 of 121
Ordered one for my Ananda. I have no doubt it will be better than the crappy stock surgical tube. Are Hifiman purposely trying to sabotage there own headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back