Has Anyone Heard from ZZZ lately?
May 30, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #46 of 67
A properly built KGSS at $1500 is an audiophile bargain.
But it appears that some builders may have "bit off more than they can chew".

antness has gone thru a couple of different board revisions on the
kgss. The current one is about as perfect as it can get. Same thing
with the power supply. Small nuances in the layout can make a very
large sonic difference. Sizes and lengths of traces. One of the reasons
my layouts take so much time.

I can assure you that many famous companies out there have revised
their products over time changing circuit boards and component values.
Audio Research is absolutely famous for this. One of their preamps has
gone thru 7 revisions. Same thing with some of the levinson products,
their preamp has gone thru at least 3. Krell is not imune either, changing
the dac board on their 2 top cdplayers a couple of times.

speaking of audio research, on another forum pictures of a brand
new amplifier of theirs that toasted itself were posted. Circuitboards
still hand layed out. No solder Mask. No component identification.
Cathode resistors soldered directly to the circuit board without any
kind of ceramic lifters. This kind of amateur build quality from a company
more than 30 years old selling very expensive stuff.

I'm afraid that in order to fullfill back orders that some "cutting of corners"
will take place and customers might not get exactly what they thought they are getting.
(ex. cheaper/inferior parts substitution)

The parts are the parts. No one is using cheaper/inferior parts that i know
of. The parts cost on the amp is far less than the labor. ZZZ did not
spend the time to think out the ramifications of some of the design changes
he made. Nor did he calculate the thermal loads resulting from some of
those changes.

I shudder to think what 20 hours of Dr. Gilmore’s labor is worth.

Internally to northwestern university my labor rates are $75 an hour.
(goverment supported funny money)
Some consider this very expensive, some consider it a bargain.
Depends on how you look at it. I stopped doing outside consulting
about 4 years ago. At the time my rates were $150 per hour and
many considered that cheap.

May 30, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #48 of 67
These days i'm an analytical chemist. NMR, Xray and Mass Spec mainly.
I do electronics for fun.
I do software only because i have to.

let me rephrase that. I do audio electronics for fun.

May 31, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #50 of 67
Denis and I have been exchanging emails back and forth tonight.

May 31, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #52 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
and?

I am in the process of deciding whether or not I want to go thru with the deal. I found out he did indeed include a 15v psu in my KGSS, and he only has a single mod in the Weebl to change it from Dr. Gilmore's original design. I PM'd Dr. Gilmore to see what he thought of the change he made and the choice in his 15v psu, and once I hear back from him I'll decide for myself.

Denis did change schools, and his classwork has taken all of his time, and he expressed his apologies for not letting me know what was going on. He also offered to refund my initial payment on the Weebl, which is what I am debating as I type. I REALLY want one, but am not sure that it will sound its best with the mods done to it. I am not sure anyone can answer that question, maybe not even Dr. Gilmore himself, but I have to decide one way or the other soon.

May 31, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #53 of 67
if he's offering you a refund .. i hope the cary 306/200 ($2k or so) that he listed along with that IC on audiogon sells, and quickly.

May 31, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #54 of 67
Me too, but I hate to see anyone sell their equipment for reasons like this could end up being.

I wonder if Grinch is still having his Weebl built by zzz? Does anyone have a way to contact Grinch for me and just ask if he's still having his Weebl built by zzz?

May 31, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #55 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
I wonder if Grinch is still having his Weebl built by zzz? Does anyone have a way to contact Grinch for me and just ask if he's still having his Weebl built by zzz?

Yeah, I'll ask him. Last I heard he was pretty upset with the whole situation and I think he wanted a refund, but I'll let you know what his final decision is.

- Chris

May 31, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #56 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Yeah, I'll ask him. Last I heard he was pretty upset with the whole situation and I think he wanted a refund, but I'll let you know what his final decision is.

- Chris

Thanks Chris. It would be interesting to find out that this little fiasco with these two Weebls forced the sale of some gear on Denis' end. I hate to do it myself, but it appears that I won't have much of a choice. I bet that this amp can't be finished in time for my departure, and that is not acceptable.

May 31, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #57 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Thanks Chris. It would be interesting to find out that this little fiasco with these two Weebls forced the sale of some gear on Denis' end. I hate to do it myself, but it appears that I won't have much of a choice. I bet that this amp can't be finished in time for my departure, and that is not acceptable.

I wouldn't feel responsible. If school was so pressing for him that he was unable to do so much as respond to email, then I doubt he was listening to his rig very much, either.

- Chris

May 31, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #58 of 67
after all, he's had -- what? $5,000? more? -- of other people's cash around for months, with no product being delivered. i'm amazed that up till just recently, there were still people who didn't think he had scammed them. i was thunderstruck that he hadn't run off with the money for good .. i'm still not convinced that "too busy" is the only reason.

May 31, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #59 of 67
Headamp seems to be making BH's as well.

Jun 14, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #60 of 67
I got an email from zzz yesterday stating he was going to send me a check for the refund of my deposit on my Weebl order. I really wanted to go thru with this order, but it will take him too long to get it to me, and I'll be in South America before he finishes it. He was very gracious, and I wish him all the best on future orders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back