Has anyone had problem with Ebay before?
Nov 24, 2008 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

HelloMotto

New Head-Fier
Im thinking of buying an IEM from ebay. I'm going to buy from a seller with like thousands of feedbacks and like 98% positive feedback. The seller looks legit to me but can ebay really be trusted?

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 23
Well, most the people that buy high-end IEM's from eBay are first time high-end IEM buyers, so they wouldn't notice the difference either way! Most 'audiophiles' buy IEM's from trusted sites supported by the IEM producer. This way you get a legit warranty and less problems
biggrin.gif

Personally I think it won't make a difference at all
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 23
If you pay via Paypal they insure your payment against fraud up to $200. They may have changed that. If you buy via Ebay you will also have to take warranty into consideration, some companies will only warranty sales from authorize dealers.

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 23
It's all a matter of trust and luck.

You have to assume if the price is too good to be true, it probably is.

Saying this, I bought a pair of Denon C751's from a seller on there for £65 and am biting my nails.

The feedback was good and he'd sold 3 pairs before with good feedback, so I'm hoping that the people who bought them from him knew what to look for.

NOTE: If you're buying sennheiser CX's of basically any kind from ebay , theres an awful lot of convincing fakes about.

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 23
i buy from a local shop. they had my proof of purchase from almost 2 years ago which is helping me get my phones warrantied right now
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm pretty cautious about buying anything off the net for various reasons, and warranty is one of them. But hey, it's up to you.

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 23
There was speak of fake Shure's before, there's a sticky in the portable headphone section that this thread's in.

Other than that, I'm not too sure, theres clones of in ear apple phones about, but I should hope you're not looking for them anyway
beyersmile.png

I've seen a guy warning of a fake audio technica over ear phone he got from ebay, too.

Generally, you have to sceptical of anything too cheap, or dare I say it, from China. That's where I'd say most of the fakes are made, and sold from.

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 23
Could be the postal service that's lost them, what does it say when you put the tracking number in, just that it left on the 14th?

Either that or they're just taking their time.

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 23
Bought my Audio techic CKM70's off ebay, from a company in Japan.
Ordered on the Friday, arrived on the Monday. Better packaged than anything i have ever bought before off ebay, and look/sound real enough to me.

If i am ever sceptical about a seller, i look at their history and feedback, and email buyers who have bought off the seller before (the same item), and ask them their honest opinions of the product and the seller. Most will reply, and be genuine about how they feel, and they can write a lot more information than what they can write on the small line on the feedback they have originally left.

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 23
I've been lucky on Ebay....no hiccups...thus far.

But..my brother...had been scammed TWICE...one for a pair of speakers...and one for a HD Camcorder.

History and Feedbacks check...ask the seller some questions...purposely ask the wrong question see if the seller would know to correct it.....at least that's how to test out the seller.

Good Luck.

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 23
Caveat emptor.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 23
i've had plenty of problems from "sellers" on ebay, the worst is the Meizu MP3 player that I never received. the main thing is to get in quick if you think things are going south.

don't hang on a seller's promise. give 'em one chance to sort things out then hit them hard. contact paypal within...45 days (now) and open up a dispute.

if the seller tries to slow the process down, don't listen. Like i've said, i've been done big time, and have trusted the seller to come through. in the end i've always come off worse. now i get in there quick. stuff their seller rating, it's your heard earned we're talking about.

if you have any resorvations, remember that people also sell used gear on amazon. I've had no problem from amazon sellers i have to admit, and i've bough loads of used headphones from the amazon site.

please remember the only real difference between amazon anbay is that ebnay you bid. having never had a problem from an amazon seller, i can't say how good the customer service is, because i've never had to use it.

there are some genuine stores (or that's what oi thought when i bought my Meizu) on ebay and some good bargains.

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 23
My Denon's arrived today, special delivery and all
biggrin.gif

As long as you know what you're doing, and know how to analyze feedback, you should be fine.
Just don't buy too cheap to be true stuff from China/Thailand etc, or from anywhere for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back