HAROLD & KUMAR Go To White Castle
Jul 17, 2004 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

chan130

100+ Head-Fier
"... follows two likeable underdogs who set out on a Friday night quest to satisfy their craving for White Castle hamburgers and end up on an epic journey of deep thoughts, deeper inhaling and a wild road trip as un-PC as it gets".

http://www.haroldandkumar.com/ - official movie site
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1000535988 - review

I saw the movie preview and laughed so hard i almost peed my pants.
What are your thoughts on previews/promos/movie ...?

Jul 17, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 62
I really want to see it, if for no other reason than it was written by alum of the school I go to (University of Chicago).

Jul 17, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 62
the movie was filmed in Toronto [hometown] and set in NJ?

I saw the stars John Cho and Kal Penn at the theatre and hours earlier at the "Crave at Dundas Square" in downtown Toronto ... free food (burgers), stickers, t-shirts, cigarette wrapping paper, concert, etc... and free movie passes.

Jul 17, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 62
I saw the preview earlier this year, it looks like a contender to be quite possibly the single most idiotic movie ever made. These kinds of things were funny when I was ten, but now, well....
rolleyes.gif

Jul 18, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 62
So is it just one big advertisement for White Castle?

Jul 18, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by k.ODOMA
So is it just one big advertisement for White Castle?

Although there is gratuitous product placement involved ... the movie is not about White Castle. it represents the destination ... the movie is about the [epic]journey.

Jul 18, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 62
Saw the preview, thought it looked great, will see it. I spent an entire school year in Chicago without getting to White Castle. Once a friend and I were waiting in front of one for a bus, and got so hungry (we were on our way to dinner) we ran into the store and were about to order but the bus pulled up and we raced out again. Must get there in the fall.

Jul 18, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
I really want to see it, if for no other reason than it was written by alum of the school I go to (University of Chicago).

Mmmm...Monday night wings at The Pub. One of the few things I liked about my time there.

Jul 18, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #9 of 62
Wow, White Castle. I had almost forgotten about the place. I haven't been to one since I moved to Massachusetts from Ohio about 10 years ago. People around here used to look at me funny when I asked about them right after I had moved.

Jul 18, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 62
I'm interested in the minority representation in this movie. Two minority leads in a movie that isn't completely ethnically-based (ie, kung-fu movies, Monsoon Wedding, etc.) makes for a possibly historic, albeit stupid, movie. And I believe this is especially significant *because* the movie is so mainstream.

Personally, if the movie didn't have the lead actors that it does, I probably wouldn't be so interested. Be you Asian, non-Asian, intelligent sea invertebrate, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Jul 18, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by LobsterSan
I'm interested in the minority representation in this movie. Two minority leads in a movie that isn't completely ethnically-based (ie, kung-fu movies, Monsoon Wedding, etc.) makes for a possibly historic, albeit stupid, movie. And I believe this is especially significant *because* the movie is so mainstream.

The title has *huge* symbolic possibilities. Two minority guys go on a Quest to The White Castle, literally the stronghold of white-dom, the Castle of The Man. It could be so awesome!

Alas, the actual movie looks pretty standard. You've got the stereotypical Asian guy who's shy and quiet and can't ask a girl out, and you've got the stereotypical smart, social Indian guy whose parents want him to go to medical school.

Jul 18, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #13 of 62
I think it is one of the first movies with two minorities as the lead roles, and it being directed to the mainstream. Kal Penn(that's not his real name) is the same guy who was Taj in van wilder. Basically I think the movie CAN and probably will be funny. And this is coming from an indian, which wodgy described be darn well.

Jul 18, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #14 of 62
I also feel this movie sets a precedence with the minority leads.
Here in Toronto, there is great diversity in cultures...collectively,minorities make up the majority. It is easy to appreciate and relate to the ethnicity in the movie.
The movie should do well with the right promotion.

Jul 18, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #15 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Wow, White Castle. I had almost forgotten about the place. I haven't been to one since I moved to Massachusetts from Ohio about 10 years ago. People around here used to look at me funny when I asked about them right after I had moved.

I"m still waiting for my first pilgrimage to a White Castle establishment. I have to settle for the frozen ones up here, but man, I love these, and they really come in handy for a quick snack when I get home from work at night.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back