Hard rock Bass Player here..JUST GOT BOSE-- IE2 few questions please..../burn in/alternate choices/
Feb 2, 2011 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

surfbug

New Head-Fier
Hi

I am a bass player in a heavy metal hard rock classic rock band

think hair metal too......

these bose IE2's are okaaaaaay... but ...

A-- will they get smoother and have more bass with a burn in?  how do I do the burn in....play them 24 x 7 at different volumes for 100 or so hours?

B---any other alternative choices ?  I read here that the bose are overpriced, I might get something better for less--- I know there is a drummer here who just picked up something and is very happy...can you chime in Mr. Drummer?  hahahha  thanks!

Oh, and how do I test our which earphones are the best?  at 100-200 bucks a clip, cant really buy 4 pair and try them....if they are even returnable?  

so, my last question....

C--- How do you guys and gals do your comparisons? 

Thanks!

Allen  aka  RokkittBass

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
Hi

I am a bass player in a heavy metal hard rock classic rock band

think hair metal too......

these bose IE2's are okaaaaaay... but ...

A-- will they get smoother and have more bass with a burn in?  how do I do the burn in....play them 24 x 7 at different volumes for 100 or so hours?

B---any other alternative choices ?  I read here that the bose are overpriced, I might get something better for less--- I know there is a drummer here who just picked up something and is very happy...can you chime in Mr. Drummer?  hahahha  thanks!

Oh, and how do I test our which earphones are the best?  at 100-200 bucks a clip, cant really buy 4 pair and try them....if they are even returnable?  

so, my last question....

C--- How do you guys and gals do your comparisons? 

Thanks!

Allen  aka  RokkittBass

A) Burn-in is usually done by playing music, or static noise at a slightly higher volume than you normally listen to (your rock-out volume, not your casual listening volume). I'm not familiar with the bose headsets, so I cant comment on a difference, sorry.

B) There are several. Again, since I havent heard them to compare, I cant comment or make a reccomendation; unless you care to list what you look for in a pair of headphones (some people perfer deeper bass to clearer, less vailed mids; so on and so forth). Seeing how you're a bassist, you may like an IEM that offers tight and punchy bass, which a Dynamic Driver is often more capable of rendering over a Balanced Armature. If that's the case, you may appreciate a Monster Turbine, or Turbine Gold (Golds offering some of the most extensive bass to date; not to mention they include a lifetime warranty if you buy them from an authorized dealer).
If you have some time, you should check out |joker|'s multi-iem review. It is possibly the most refrenced guide we have to date.

C) Well, we listen!
In seriousness, some IEM's provide some blatant differences, so its usually easy to tell.
For instance, I really like the MetroFi 220's because they cost me $20, and sound very close to my monster turbines at lower volumes (and when listening to lower quality music). On the other hand, the Turbine Coppers have a very balanced natural sound, with very appropriate bass, and they dont fatigue or sound bloaty when the track calls for quick, deep punches (drawback of the MetroFi 220). Also, while my Triple.fi 10's sound a little nasally at first, they have some of the clearest treble extension I have ever heard in an IEM. Highs really come out effortlessly, without sounding glazed or shrilly when being compared to the other two headphones. However, they arent quite as fun as the Monster Turbine Copper's unless you really blast them, and therefore I dont feel right reccomending them as an everyday IEM

Hope this helps some
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 5
You sound like an excellent match for Atrios. Easily the best bass in a mid-priced iem, and I've heard numerous bass players who swear by them. Start reading up...

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 5
There are several options, Denon has the AH-C710 (most bass and treble), AH C560R (bassy but not super punchy but punchier than the IE2), good mids, and very nicely detailed treble much more detailed than the IE2 (I will be doing a review of these sometime in the next couple days) The one thing I like about the 560R is that they offer great detail and a complete sound without being fatiguing which might be important for you. Outside of those the Atrio's were on sale by Ecost recently if they have any left they are a good option. Other than that Meelec has some new offerings that have just been reviewed in Joker's big IEM review thread and a couple are bass oriented IEM's plus he lists many other bass oriented IEM's that might fit your bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back