hard drive stero
Mar 16, 2006 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

luke16

New Head-Fier
i have an old computer and an old stero and was wondering if i can combine them to make 1 hard drive stero. i have some questions though...

1. can you put in a hard drive into a stero without much custom work?
2. will i be able to use most of the salvaged parts (lcd, computer cd drive, etc).
3. would i need any frimware or anything?
4. how hard would this project be?
5. can i expect anything good (if done correctly)?
6. is there anyone who has done this or knows something about this?

sorry if my questions are "noobish" but i am a beginner. thanks in advance for all replies.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 8
I suppose you could gut the stereo case and fit a mini ATX computer inside. But just adding a hard drive to a stereo? Nope, not gonna happen.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by luke16
i have an old computer and an old stero and was wondering if i can combine them to make 1 hard drive stero. i have some questions though...

1. can you put in a hard drive into a stero without much custom work?
2. will i be able to use most of the salvaged parts (lcd, computer cd drive, etc).
3. would i need any frimware or anything?
4. how hard would this project be?
5. can i expect anything good (if done correctly)?
6. is there anyone who has done this or knows something about this?

sorry if my questions are "noobish" but i am a beginner. thanks in advance for all replies.

Have you considered building an HTPC? I plan on building one with all of my spare computer parts that I have laying around. I will use an EMU0404 sound card, TV tuner, etc with windows media center.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-lc18.htm

http://www.origenae.com/product_x15e.htm

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 8
www.mini-itx.com

nano-itx motherboards are only 4.7 inches squared

then fit a 6 inch touch screen into the stereo.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 8
About the closest I have seen from trying to combine a stereo and HD player is the Apex DVD player mod. The Apex unit is a cheap one from Wal-Mart, but since they use commercial DVD-Drives in them, you remove the drive and install a Hard Drive. Having it connected to the TV allows you to move around the folders and all that. The downside is that you have to remove the HD and install it in your computer to add or delete mp3's.

Mar 16, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ECM
About the closest I have seen from trying to combine a stereo and HD player is the Apex DVD player mod. The Apex unit is a cheap one from Wal-Mart, but since they use commercial DVD-Drives in them, you remove the drive and install a Hard Drive. Having it connected to the TV allows you to move around the folders and all that. The downside is that you have to remove the HD and install it in your computer to add or delete mp3's.

Wow, I'd be very interested in something like this - any instructions/guides? Search came up with nothing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back