Hard-drive player life expectancy expectation
Apr 1, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 7
A friend of mine had a 1GB IBM Microdrive that he used everywhere - for his PDA and camera. It lasted 2 years; it just died. Granted, he's pretty rough on his equipment, but don't have unrealistic expectations. Treat it nicely, and it should last a long time - check out the specs for Gs when the drive is running, not just when it is parked.

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 7
I guess part of my question here is how long people would like to have them work. If I pay $300 for a hard drive player and it lasts three years, to me that seems like a lot money per year. But electronics, and especially portables, seem to go down the tubes pretty quick (or at least that's my perception).

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 7
i would expect 2-3 years of regular use, maybe up to 5. but if you don't use it much, it could very well work in 10-15-20 years....

none of the drives in my DAPs have died yet, some going on 2 years so far.

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 7
it really depens on how you use them. I have some exeriece with MD players, and with daily use they would last about a year before they'd develop some errors.

HD players, I'd expect to be even more sensitive, so I kinda doubt how long they would last. if you could use them in save, non-mving situations, I bet they could go on for up to 10 years.

if I were to spend over $300 on a portable device, I'd want it to last somewhere around 5 years. HDAPs are just too expensive to upgrade a lot.

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 7
i bet they could last a good 5 or 6 years for you. the HD might fail somewhere in that period, but im sure it could last after a simple formatting.

the question is, do you WANT it after that long. by that time there will be 10 times cooler stuff thats smaller and has more features and longer battery life. i'd start feeling insecure about my "old" player.

think about the original pjb. 5 gigs of space for 800 dollars to start (although it "settled" to 700). it was amazing and everyone wanted one. it was auctioned off originally on mp3.com for 1700 dollars some times. forgive me if im wrong, but that was 1999. 5 years ago.

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 7
If it's using a Lithium Ion battery that'll probably be the first thing to go. You'll be getting half-hour max charges long before the HD goes. Of course, you can replace the battery... (and the HD too!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back