Hard drive based player?
Sep 26, 2008 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 16, 2002
Posts
1,149
Likes
11
Does anyone make a portable HDD player that is at least 80 gigs in size, has an EQ and isn't an iPod?
 
Sep 26, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 18

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 16, 2002
Posts
1,149
Likes
11
I've already got an H140 but the electronics are dieing. Ugh, If Microsoft would just enable the EQ feature on the Zen, I'd by it. I guess I'll just have to wait until flash based players capacities reach the 80 gig range.
 
Sep 27, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 18

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 16, 2002
Posts
1,149
Likes
11
Ugh, I just cannot justify spending so much money on devices that are so restrictive and/or limited. EQ is a necessity and the Itunes world is a place I must stay from.
 
Sep 27, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 18

gilency

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 30, 2007
Posts
2,310
Likes
92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EQ is a necessity and the Itunes world is a place I must stay from.


why? I know the limitations of the equalizer in iPods, but the obverall sound quality is pretty good IMHO. I use Apple Losseless format in my 160 Classic and I realy like the sound quality.
 
Sep 27, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 18

RubenNYC

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Posts
381
Likes
10
You'd probably be happiest picking up another H140 on ebay and replacing the drive, if you can find one. Or, if you're handy taking apart and rebuilding electronics, you can pick up a used Rio Karma and try out the ZIF drive mod.
 
Sep 28, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 18

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 16, 2002
Posts
1,149
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why? I know the limitations of the equalizer in iPods, but the obverall sound quality is pretty good IMHO. I use Apple Losseless format in my 160 Classic and I realy like the sound quality.


The source is only 1 component in the chain of components that determine sound quality. The environment is included in this also. A good/clean source can be ruined by poor headphones, a bad seal for those of use that use IEMs (like myself) when on the go, a poor recording, or a number of other things. A half way decent EQ is a good way of compensating for these short comings. I just cannot spend the money for one of these hard drive players without a half way decent EQ, even if they sound good in a controlled environment. Besides, I'm certainly not one of those purists who feel that music must be played the way the artists, engineers and the label want you to hear it. If those people and entities had Audiophiles in mind, they would not be compressing the dynamics and pushing up the signals until clipping (and nearly EVERY modern recording is clipped). I tailor the sound until I like it (which starts and ends with EQ).

Also, I'm just not a fan of the Itunes environment. Last I heard, it doesn't handle large databases well (I've got 16000 songs to handle), and the product associated with it is low on features for the price you pay for it. Not to mention, I'd rather support a company that doesn't use DRM when handling digital music files (although this point applies to Microsoft's products too).
 
Sep 28, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 18

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 16, 2002
Posts
1,149
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd probably be happiest picking up another H140 on ebay and replacing the drive, if you can find one. Or, if you're handy taking apart and rebuilding electronics, you can pick up a used Rio Karma and try out the ZIF drive mod.


I'd rather just wait until Microsoft regains its sanity or until flash based memory matures until the point where it is as dense as its hard drive brethren.
 
Sep 28, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 18

RubenNYC

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Posts
381
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rather just wait until Microsoft regains its sanity or until flash based memory matures until the point where it is as dense as its hard drive brethren.


I don't think the Zune ever had a custom EQ, though, only a bunch of canned presets. (I hate canned presets.)

Now that we are seeing 32 GB flash players, hopefully we'll start seeing 64 GB options sometime in '09.
 
Sep 28, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 18

tds101

Formerly known as nywytboy68
Joined
May 5, 2008
Posts
4,629
Likes
106
The Zune 30 has presets - all the others have none at all. Sound is better w/none though. I got a Touch just so I can make a decision on my own: crappy EQ on or off. Sounds better with it off, but I like the option to choose for myself. If the Zune had a custom EQ it'd be perfect IMO. Still, I'm already vested in my Touch 2G so I really can't complain. Well, I'd have liked a 64gb model, but no dice.
 
Sep 28, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 18

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 16, 2002
Posts
1,149
Likes
11
RubenNYC, that's what I'm counting on.
 
Sep 29, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 18

Myrdin

Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Posts
61
Likes
0
The Cowon A3 and Q5 both come in 80gig versions. They also have a very nice user adjustable EQ. The O2 flash memory player has 32 gigs built in and an SD memory card slot, so you can add quite a bit more storage. Given their ability to drive higher impedance headphones and compatibility with so many formats, it is surprising so many audiophiles don't know about cowon. edit- here's an address:www.cowonglobal.com
 
Sep 29, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 18

TheRockies

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Posts
27
Likes
11
Hmmm... How about setting your sights on a 5.5 generation 80GB iPod and then adding Rockbox which breathes new life into it? I did this because after using Creative's Zen Vision M and Iriver's, I found the iPods just plain boring. But with the Rockbox option, you get awesome equalizer options plus other neat stuff like different themes, file drag-n-drop, ogg vorbis/wma/FLAC support, MSC/UMS and much more! You even get the A-B option for playback! You can dual boot back to the original software anytime you want. Lots of things to tweak and play with AND IT'S FREE!!! Go have a look at their iPod Video sections and see if you're interested: Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware

Best of luck!
 
Sep 29, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #15 of 18

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 16, 2002
Posts
1,149
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Myrdin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Cowon A3 and Q5 both come in 80gig versions. They also have a very nice user adjustable EQ. The O2 flash memory player has 32 gigs built in and an SD memory card slot, so you can add quite a bit more storage. Given their ability to drive higher impedance headphones and compatibility with so many formats, it is surprising so many audiophiles don't know about cowon. edit- here's an address:[ Welcome to cowonglobal.com ]


The reason I glanced over them is because they've got large screens designed for viewing video, something I'll likely never do on a PMP. I'll give them a second look though.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top