Hard alternative rock recommendations?
Oct 6, 2017 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 281

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
Hello there Head-Fiers. I'm trying to develop my rock library (it is very pathetic at the moment) and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for hard alternative rock music that is well produced. I do not like metal music, so please stick to hard rock recommendations.

The recommendations don't have to have good sound quality (although, given which website I'm posting this to, I definitely would count good sound quality as a positive thing). If it helps, my favorite album is Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and "Sir Psycho Sexy" is my favorite song. I also like Nirvana.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 281
Bump (focus of thread changed again)

I've tried listening to some pre-alternative era hard rock (including your suggestions @Fixxer6671 , thank you for those), and what I think I've found (I had suspected it already) is that I prefer alternative rock to older rock. So I've edited this thread to reflect this fact.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 281
Bump (focus of thread changed again)

I've tried listening to some pre-alternative era hard rock (including your suggestions @Fixxer6671 , thank you for those), and what I think I've found (I had suspected it already) is that I prefer alternative rock to older rock. So I've edited this thread to reflect this fact.

Not sure if these will float your boat, but check out The Black Angels, and Torche. The National is pretty big, so you've probably heard them. One of my favorite bands ATM is Wolf Alice, but they're a little more alt than rock.

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 281
Howdy Double-A,

Let's stick with the current topic of "hard alternative". :) That's a fairly broad subject, but one that's worth exploring imo. And I don't really see another recent thread with a similar topic. Except for this more general one, which is probably also worth checking out...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/exp...ethereal-wave-etc-appreciation-thread.807227/

There are definitely a few alternative artists (including some punk/post-punk) with a harder edge there,... which is the way I'm going to interpret this topic.

I haven't heard some of the newer bands mentioned here. I think some of mikeofearth's suggestions are pretty good though, based on a quick sampling of some of the groups' tracks. His suggestions lean a little more toward the ambient side than Nirvana and RHCP though. So the latter may be a little easier to "rock out" too.

RHCP's Blood Sugar Sex Magik (and their music in general) is a blend of different styles, principally punk-rock and funk. But with elements of metal and hip-hop thrown in (Anthony often "raps" his lyrics, for example). And probably also a bit of psychedelia as well (think Doors and Hendrix). I'm pretty sure they were/are George Clinton/P-Funk fans, like many of the gangsta rappers in the 80's and 90's.

In terms of "old-school" rock bands (and I'm talkin like the 70's and 80's), I'd suggest groups like Iggy Pop & the Stooges, and David Bowie, rather than Aerosmith and Metallica. I have nothing against metal. And even like quite a bit of it... But Iggy and David get closer to an alternative vibe.

After those guys, you might try groups like Joy Division/Warsaw, Peter Murphy/Bauhaus/Love & Rockets, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Smashing Pumpkins, and NIN. Some of these may be a little too "gothic" for your taste, but they all do pretty good stuff. And certainly fit the criteria of "hard" and "alternative".

I'll put my thinkin cap on, and try to come up with some other harder-edged groups that might be a little more the flavor of RHCP and Nirvana though. And will post as they come to mind, along with anything else I can think of.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #13 of 281
90's was the best !

Smashing Pumpkins <---------------- #1
Metallica
Marilyn Manson
Korn
Bush
Radiohead
Pearl Jam
Slipknot
Foo Fighters
Silverchair
Rage Against The Machine

Canadian bands:
Econoline Crush
Moist
Our Lady Peace

Girls:
Alanis Morissette
Hole
Veruca Salt
Elastica
Tracy Bonham
L7

Many many others. But those should be on your 90's hard rock list for sure :)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 281
Deftones
Papa Roach

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #15 of 281
90's was the best !

Smashing Pumpkins <---------------- #1
Metallica
Marilyn Manson
Korn
Bush
Radiohead
Pearl Jam
Slipknot
Foo Fighters
Silverchair
Rage Against The Machine

Canadian bands:
Econoline Crush
Moist
Our Lady Peace

Girls:
Alanis Morissette
Hole
Veruca Salt
Elastica
Tracy Bonham
L7

Many many others. But those should be on your 90's hard rock list for sure :)

Thank you! Very nice list.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back