Harbor Freight FREE multimeter
Aug 7, 2010 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jdkJake

1000+ Head-Fier
Okay, it doesn't get any cheaper than this, so, no excuse not to own at least one functional multimeter.

Harbor Freight is offering one of their already cheap multimeters for FREE with any online purchase. Not sure if they will honor the deal at their stores or not.

The meter in question:

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

Just add to your cart and and use the coupon code FREEMETER.

No, it is not a high quality meter, but, it is functional and tests diodes and transistors as well. I have one as a "no care" meter and it works just fine for most projects. Although, I think I paid seven bucks for it. :wink:

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 14
Yes. I bought two and gave one to my son. They are commonly on sale for $2.99. They work fine, but likely won't do well if dropped. With a multimeter nearby there is always something  to check.

F

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 14
Hmm... I'll think about it. Could use an extra multimeter. Harbor Freight is just very meh...

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 14
No doubt.

Harbor Freight is like a dollar store for the Home Depot crowd.

There is ALWAYS something worth buying. At least that has been my experience.

In any case, if you need what they have, you can get a free multimeter. Not a bad deal. If not, no worries. Just wanted to make folks aware. You can never have too many tools in the shed.

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Hmm... I'll think about it. Could use an extra multimeter. Harbor Freight is just very meh...

Quote:
I tend to agree from my personal experience.

Yeah, you need to be fairly selective when buying from them. If it's something you expect to use only occasionally, for light duty, they have some good bargains. (They also have a lot of just plain junk, not worth even buying once. Fortunately, I have one not far from my house, so I can look before I buy.)

If you expect to use the item a lot, or to do heavy work, then buy a good one. I have one of the HF multimeters for home, and it works well enough for the few times I actually need a meter at home. I have three Fluke DMM's at work, if I have any critical work to do.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Hello everybody, my name is Leo.
And I'm the harbor freight multimeter's manufactory in China.
Glad to see your comment here, we will study and improve it, thank you!
Any questions you can chat me VIA MSN: yuefengmo@hotmail.com

Very well - I liked the older models that had the turned points with slots on the probes.  The newer ones are simply giant pins with little feel of precision.  I also like the yellow color better than the red.  Keep up the good work, though - a wonderful introduction to multimeters!

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 14
This is the same multimeter I use most of the time because it does what I need, it's small and lightweight, and I'm not worried if I break it since it's so cheap. I keep my good one stored away except for rare occasions now.

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 14

How about "The world's ugliest meter"? (about half-way down) http://www.hndme.com/productcart/pc/home.asp

The description: autorange. Hah! I get it. Funny.
regular_smile .gif

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 14
Hi Leo,

I would not mind the addition of a continuity tester to the meter.
I agree with TomB about the probe leads.
I like the red or yellow color, but suggest considering orange too.
I have found the instrument to be quite useful.

F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back