Happy with my AT ath-m40fs...
Feb 5, 2005 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wildebassman

100+ Head-Fier
600smile.gif
Yesterday I subscribed to this forum and today I received my new cans! After years without headphone use I put on my sennheiser HD450II set.
I started using my cans more and more and decided I wanted a pair of closed cans. After reading some reviews I ordered the ath-m40. Believe it or not I liked them straight out of the box, nice flat honest sound. As a recording bassplayer I like pro gear and honest sound reproduction. The cans are now beeing played constantly to give them at least a few hours break in. Some people on this forum find these cans too flat sounding and like the senns or sony phones better but I'm happy I bought these.
eggosmile.gif

Having a headphone gas I also ordered a pair of Equation RP-20 phones.
I found out they are relatively unknown but are sold at some pro-audio shops in Britain and France as for Europe. Living in the Netherlands I heared some people raving about them and I ordered a pair at an ebay seller called Studio 34, at a $69.99 pricepoint I dared to buy these unheared. I will give them a review when I have received them. For those interested take look at the manufacturers site: http://www.equationaudio.com/rp20specs.html
I am happy I found this forum and will enjoy communicating with you folks!
orphsmile.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 17
rolleyes.gif
Man I feel kinda lonely out here... am I the only one beeing happy with his ath-m40fs phones?? Sure it doesn't matter but I'd love some input here. BTW, did anyone around here try the equation rp-20 cans?
Still very happy with my new ath-m40's!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 17
I own the m40fs and thought they sounded quite nice... until I joined headfi and got me a HD600
600smile.gif

Get out of here while you still can!
evil_smiley.gif

Just kidding of course... Welcome to headfi. Sorry about your wallet!

Feb 7, 2005 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 17
Lucky you! I know the HD600 pretty well and I think they're great, but I need my phones also in the studio and my budget is tight at the moment I have recently invested €4500 in my bass equipment....
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 17
Never heard of the headphones you mentioned. So I can't comment on them.

Welcome to head-fi. And take that "sorry about your wallet" to heard. It's really tru. If you stay here you will spend a lot of money on headphone gear. So if you're happy with your headphones, leave now before it's too late.

Maar ik vind het wel gezellig hoor, een Nederlander erbij.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Maar ik vind het wel gezellig hoor, een Nederlander erbij.
smily_headphones1.gif

Natuurlijk ? =)

Wildbassman, you should allocate more Euros for your phones ... it feels good to be wildphonesman.
580smile.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 17
I bought ath-m40 for a set of cheap closed cans, but unfortunately they are just too small for my large ears. If only they had more space inside, I would be quite happy with them (I only need closed cans as backup for when it is too loud at home to listen to better sounding open cans I already have).

Today I checked several Beyerdynamic cans and the DT-150 is absolutely fantastic with regard to comfort (extremely light and lots of space for ears inside), but they are too expensive for me at the moment.

Feb 7, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 17
Sure, if we make some money with the cd we're makin' I will spend some more on phones..... for now it's water and bread....

Ja leuk dat er ook nederlanders op dit forum zijn!
basshead.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Natuurlijk ? =)

I said it's nice to have another Dutch person around. He agreed that it is nice that there are Dutch people on this board.

Really not worthy of a translation but since you were so curious.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Natuurlijk ? =)

Ehm?! Is this really Dutch?!
tongue.gif

If so how come you speak Dutch?
confused.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 17
Natuurlijk = genuine dutch = naturally ...

Only knew one or two Dutch words, reason being we hosted Dutch for quite some time here.
wink.gif
One of ancestor / grandma actually a Hollander as well.

edit - post nummer een duizend twee honderd vier en dertig =)

Feb 8, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 17
Funny how a thread can take off talking about languages...
I'm happy communicating with you people, gave my new cans another night of music in the burn in cycle.... 8 hours of Incognito, tonight it will be some classical stuff..

Groetjes ( greetings )

Dennis.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 17
I listened to these cans today at Guitar Center and they sound very nice. But the cans have no ear room. I couldn't believe the depth of the can was only about 1/2", and it pushes your ears inward. Otherwise, I would have bought them.

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #14 of 17
I have a pair that came with my digital piano. The lower frequencies are nice but I find the mid-range very flat, nasal and veiled. It's like the curtain was lowered 1/2 way on an orchestra.

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #15 of 17
Hi

I recieved a pair this morning by purchasing online, and I notice that the phones, (ATH-M0fs) have a slight crack on the bottom part, and on the outside of the cans, I am currently in process of checking this out..., can anyone tell me if they have the same thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back