Happy with Juli@, but interested in going up a step or two
Dec 21, 2006 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BushGuy

Headphoneus Supremus
The title about says it all..........I like my Juli's........but starting to think of a Lynx version or RME, etc.. What have you experienced above the Juli@ that is worth the additional expenditure?

Dec 22, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 10
Are you going from line-out to headphone amp? Then I'd rather suggest to consider an external dac than investing in another soundcard...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 22, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 10
Yes, going from Juli@ out to Corda Prehead (or) Corda HA-2 (2 setups)

Dec 22, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 10
Use a high end DAC for the digital out and your in with about the best. My Lavry can be bested but you have to pay the price.

Dec 22, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 10
I agree with the previous posters...don't bother with a more expensive soundcard like Lynx or RME (their digital output is about the same as the Juli@ anyway), go for an external DAC (Zhaolu if you are on a budget, used Benchmark DAC1 if you can double that budget, Lavry DA10 if you are limited to around $1000, or expensive-DAC-of-the-month if you want to spend more than that).

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 10
BushGuy, been there and it's not worth it. Focus on amplifiers and speakers/headphones, source is always better than you expect it to be.
Some will say garbage in-garbage out...yes but first you gotta have near perfect amp/speakers to hear that "garbage" then buy external DAC and connect Juli@ into it.

Dec 23, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 10
nuhi: Check his profile - he's already pretty much reached the maximum in amplification, and his headphone collection has also reached audiophile class. Imo, that really leaves the source as weakest link in the chain in this case - so stepping up from a good soundcard to some middle-class cdp or priceworthy dac would indeed seem to be a good idea (of course, alternatively one could also consider modding the output stage on the Juli@, try some rf shielding et cetera...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 23, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 10
lini, oh right, haven't looked.
Then the answer is like others already said, the DAC. Soundcard digital output isn't that different between different models as the DACs are.

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 10
Soundcard digital outputs can differ actually, if you take wordclock sync into account anyway since only a select few soundcards have that (Lynx, RME, m-audio firewire 410 and emu1820M), but then again it probably doesn't matter if you aren't going to get a DAC with word out.

Dec 27, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 10
I've been M.I.A. on this page for a few days and have to apologize to those of you who supplied cogent responses to the question. Mea maxima culpa
Thank you all
smily_headphones1.gif
..........I now know one avenue not to pursue, and have a few other ideas as a result.
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back