Happy Mother's Day (US-March 9th, 2004)
May 9, 2004 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bootman

King o'Ping
To all Head-Fiers:
Please remember your mother today.

If you are a mom, Happy Mother's day to you!
biggrin.gif

Do any other country celebrate a similar holiday?
(I know of the UK's Mothering Sunday coming up on the 21st)

May 9, 2004 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 16
Hmm...

Is this a post thats been thrown up by the archives in error... or is there an error with the date?

UK Mothers day was a couple of months back
confused.gif

May 9, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 16
It's mother's day here in Finland too. It's like a real holiday where lots of stores actually close.
smily_headphones1.gif

I sent my mom a card, but I don't know if I should call. I don't think she really wants to hear from me. But if I don't, then she might be angry. Of course, she might be angry if I do call. Either way, she'll probably be angry. This is how my parents are now, so living in another country has its privledges.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2004 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Hmm...

Is this a post thats been thrown up by the archives in error... or is there an error with the date?

confused.gif

You folks in the UK celebrated it on March 21. Seems like the rest of the world celebrates it today (May 9). Go figure.

D.

May 9, 2004 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
It's mother's day here in Finland too. It's like a real holiday where lots of stores actually close.
smily_headphones1.gif

I sent my mom a card, but I don't know if I should call. I don't think she really wants to hear from me. But if I don't, then she might be angry. Of course, she might be angry if I do call. Either way, she'll probably be angry. This is how my parents are now, so living in another country has its privledges.
smily_headphones1.gif

If I had a vote I would say call her. Someday I think you will be amazed at how you wish you had taken more time with your parents. The conflicts that seem so large today have a way of diminishing in importance when it is too late to resolve them.

May 9, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
If I had a vote I would say call her. Someday I think you will be amazed at how you wish you had taken more time with your parents. The conflicts that seem so large today have a way of diminishing in importance when it is too late to resolve them.

For those who don't have «normal» family this advice is, despite his obvious wisdom, difficult to follow. It could even add to some guilt about not having this «normal» family in the first place.......

Désolé John but it had to be said.

Amicalement

May 9, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 16
I would say, call her. When she's gone, you will have wished you did.

Even if you think the present situation is impossible, going out of your way to swallow your apprehension and present feelings, will set in with your mother and she will thank you in the end.

Just my .02.

Happy Mother's Day to all.

May 9, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Hmm...

confused.gif

My error. i thight it was the 21st of this month.
i forgot that it has already passed.
redface.gif

May 9, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 16
From what I've heard (from a friend who is usually very well informed),
Mother's Day was a creation of Hallmark (card company). Other parts of world have a different day to celebrate women, e.g. March 8th is International Women's Day which doesn't get celebrated in US/Canada, I'm guessing for the same reason May 1st isn't celebrated (and there's a "Labour Day" in September instead). Also in some parts of Europe Mother's Day is on Sunday 2 weeks before Christmas (and Father's Day a week before). I don't know what the reason and motivations are but judging by insane number of ads in newsprint and TV urging us to buy, buy, buy, I do have a feeling that this is a Hallmark holiday, created in order to boost sales in the dead season. So whoever is celebrating today, I hope they do that by showing love to their mothers, spending a day with them, and not by getting them an expensive gift (and a card) and promptly heading back to work.

May 9, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 16
Over here in Germany, it's also Mothers' day, today. And I've just called my mum up, too... It's important to her to hear how her son's doing, now he's up north with those Prussians...
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 9, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by aos
From what I've heard (from a friend who is usually very well informed),
Mother's Day was a creation of Hallmark (card company). Other parts of world have a different day to celebrate women, e.g. March 8th is International Women's Day which doesn't get celebrated in US/Canada, I'm guessing for the same reason May 1st isn't celebrated (and there's a "Labour Day" in September instead). Also in some parts of Europe Mother's Day is on Sunday 2 weeks before Christmas (and Father's Day a week before). I don't know what the reason and motivations are but judging by insane number of ads in newsprint and TV urging us to buy, buy, buy, I do have a feeling that this is a Hallmark holiday, created in order to boost sales in the dead season. So whoever is celebrating today, I hope they do that by showing love to their mothers, spending a day with them, and not by getting them an expensive gift (and a card) and promptly heading back to work.

My family takes this holiday to basically be a joke for the same reason.

May 9, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 16
I don't want people to think I'm angry at my mom. It's really not me. It's her. I don't think I'm turning out how my parents woulda liked. But hey, what kid ever does? There's no hard feelings on my part, honestly. And I do wish I saw them more. I haven't seen them in 4 years now. It's a very expensive trip, and as the kid, I'm the one who's expected to come home, and every year something has come up. That, and June-August are the worst months to visit Charleston, SC and the best to visit Helsinki. I say they should come here.
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #14 of 16
I spent most of the day with my Mom. Took her to lunch and dinner. A nice relaxing way to spend a Sunday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
That, and June-August are the worst months to visit Charleston, SC and the best to visit Helsinki. I say they should come here.
biggrin.gif

I have several friends in Charleston and surrounding areas (e.g. Summerville). It's a small world.

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back