happy happy joy joy:my new Canon Powershot A75 (contains some pictures)
Jun 12, 2004 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Spent&Bent

500+ Head-Fier
Here's the first "artsy" pic I shot with my new camera, (it is underexposed but on purpose)
I'm not too impressed with the picture sharpness but the color is great, especially outside (I shot some great pics of the countryside just outside my city today)
Maybe if I mess with the focus settings the sharpness might improve, is there anyone here who also got a similar powershot that knows how to improve the sharpness???
resolution had to be less for photobucket btw, I have shot everything at highest quality settings.
I bought the camera for shooting pics of my gear (could not do this before)
I haven't been particulary excited by digital camera's before but I must admit it's fun to be able to see results so quickly instead of having to send some film off to be developed, hope I don't get camera upgradeitis soon
biggrin.gif

The amp is my EMP btw....

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

4147f3b3.jpg

adcda97e.jpg

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 22
Nothing beats a Canon. I've owned a number of them, and never had a problem with picture/build quality. Have fun with your new toy.
tongue.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 22
Yup, Canons A-series is nice (at least from the A60 up), indeed - offering very good picture quality and already quite a few advanced features. Personally I wouldn't buy one of these, though - as I've never needed their advanced features so far, and because I prefer smaller models. The Digital Ixus' are nice, too - though I found the earlier models to look more classy than the recent ones, which have too many different silver tones for really noble looks. Handling is fairly good despite the small size, though.

The ideal compromise for me seems to be Nikon Coolpix 3100 (or the successor 3200, with slightly different button layout and SD instead of CF card) - with good to very good picture quality and really superior ergonomics. Also quite nice is the Kodak CX6230, which offers fairly good picture quality and really simple handling at an attractive price point - at least over here, because the Media Markts over here celebrate their 25 years jubilee and sell the Kodak for 99 Euro.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 12, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 22
Something seems up with your resize filter. Might look into that if it's not being done by your camera.

Jun 12, 2004 at 9:16 AM Post #5 of 22
yay!

I recently got the A75 too...pretty good.

..I'm struggling with manual mode, though....pictures seem to be turning out a bit more grainy, esp in low and artificial light conditions....even on superfine 2048X1536....

I wonder what I'm doing wrong....

Jun 12, 2004 at 9:25 AM Post #6 of 22
Welcome to tean Canon... The make nice camera, as pointed out by others. I have a PS s45, which I'm very happy with, though I don't use it as much as I would like to. I like the picuture of the stork. Do you got many storks in the Netherlands?

Jun 12, 2004 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 22
sorry, this may be out of topic,but how do you attach a few pictures (especially bigger ones like those) on to your post ?

i tried to post pictures, and the best i could get was in attachments and cant be more than 20Kb or something.

thanks.

Jun 12, 2004 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 22
either upload them to fx photobucket.com which will give you a direct link to the pic. you can then use the [ img ]link[ /img ] command. If uploading to headfi you'll have to upload the pic first, open it, copy the address, and use the img command. I don't think you can upload to headfi, and get the img showed without editing.

Jun 12, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman
Nothing beats a Canon. I've owned a number of them, and never had a problem with picture/build quality. Have fun with your new toy.
tongue.gif

Thanks
cool.gif

Lini I wan't aware that these mediamarkts existed for so long, they are in the netherlands for only a few years now.
They have pretty good prices, especially considering they are regular stores.

ooheadsoo the resizing was not done by me but by photobucket, they use a very crude algorithm appearantly.
I have photoshop for that if needed but need to reinstall it sometime.

Hero zero: maybe it's your ISO setting that is too high, try to keep it as low as possible, I have seen several warnings about using too high settings, these camera's cannot do this well compared to more expensive camera's.

pank2002: funny you ask, I was on my roadbike riding around when I came upon this stork in a park located near our city.
We don't have that many storks here in the area, it was pretty unique to meet one this close.
When I was done photographing the stork I met a couple of men down the road.
One of them started joking to me saying I would have a baby in the house soon (we have stories here that storks deliver baby's....).So I laughed and said that I came upon it by luck and wasn't looking for one so please no kid right now lol.

dj_mococ like pank2002 says it's not that hard but everything bigger then 250 KB filesize will be reduced in res, like my pics have and they are crude when they do that so keep them under 250 kb yourself.

Jun 13, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Something seems up with your resize filter. Might look into that if it's not being done by your camera.

Noticed that too especially with the grass. Try using irfanview's freeware program for resizing. You can resize it to less than 250kb (normally images not larger than 800x600) so that photbucket won't re-resize it.

Also for close up shots (reference the EMP image), using a small tripod & macro mode will yield a sharper/better image.

Jun 13, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spent&Bent
Lini I wan't aware that these mediamarkts existed for so long, they are in the netherlands for only a few years now.
They have pretty good prices, especially considering they are regular stores.

Well, Media Markt was founded by four people from Munich, then - some of them coming from Elektro Egger, as far as I remember. Anyway, the Media Markt in Munich/Euroindustriepark was the first one (I know it well - first time I bought something there must have been ~ 1981). Later on, they sold the company to Kaufhof, which belongs to the Metro holding (just like Saturn, btw...).

The prices used to be better, though - in the beginning you could more or less always trust them to be about as cheap as it gets and always below the msrps. Nowadays, they more or less stick to msrps over here (which they can, because they pretty much dominate the market and push huge amounts into advertising) - with the exception of a few special offers. Nevertheless, as they are virtually everywhere, it's very convenient to go to a Saturn or Media Markt...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 13, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by hero zero
..I'm struggling with manual mode, though....pictures seem to be turning out a bit more grainy, esp in low and artificial light conditions....even on superfine 2048X1536....
I wonder what I'm doing wrong....

Make sure the ISO number is set to the lowest which in this case would be 50. (Don't forget to use a tripod!) Also take a multiple number of pictures of the scene using difference exposure settings. Unfortunately, all the non-DSLR digital cameras have problems with the noise levels at higher ISO's and when there isn't enough light available. Another possible solution is to use a powerful external flash.

Jun 13, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by N@Z
Noticed that too especially with the grass. Try using irfanview's freeware program for resizing. You can resize it to less than 250kb (normally images not larger than 800x600) so that photbucket won't re-resize it.

Also for close up shots (reference the EMP image), using a small tripod & macro mode will yield a sharper/better image.

Thanks for the tripod advice, I will probably get one soon for my birthday if my hints to family have come across well enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back