Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Nov 10, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #4,546 of 4,588
Mimby is history? Happy to say i have one as an alternate in my main system, though i could swap it into a different HP-only system easily enough. My main 2-channel system has a locally made VTV amp (Hypex NC250) which only has balanced inputs. Originally i used a Schiit Saga with RCA-to-XLR cables. Thinking that was a SQ bottleneck of some sort i eventually added an SMSL HO200, primarily as the preamp, as it has balanced inputs/outputs. Doubles as an HP amp. i gave my Saga to my son, who has most of my old stereo equipment. Bought a Mimby in January of this year. I was on the fence, figuring it was a five-year-old design, and perhaps they'd be updating it soon (i'd also given my son my Modi 3). Glad i got it, the sound is similar to the Burr-Brown DACs i like. If it's not feasible for Schiit to make it again then i'm more than glad it's here.
But having that audio-fool itch, i got an SMSL D300, in part for a fully balanced signal chain, also in part for remote volume control (the HO200 was six feet away from my listening chair for manual volume adjustment!) and for having a different chip, the Rohm BD-whatever. Having both DACs in parallel i could do a non-blind A-B and to my ears the sound was all but identical, such that the convenience of the remote volume became the deciding factor in mostly using the D300 chain. That said the HO200 also has SE inputs, and i used those for other gear, ultimately asking for my Saga back and piggy-backing that onto the other preamp, so as to have use of the Saga's set of inputs. Nothing blew up, lol. The system as it is now includes three CD source options (one has the old Pacific Microsonics HDCD processor, and i found, back in the day, that i really enjoyed the sound of those), i can listen old-school through their internal DACs, or two through the Mimby, one through the Rohm, so five options to convert the signal of any one CD to analog (my son has all my old vinyl). Kind of Rube Goldberg, a lot of fun, but i can get lost in the weeds. i spent a lot of time listening to the Elvis Costello - Burt Bacharach "Painted from Memory," an HDCD, three different ways, one after the other, good thing i took notes i can refer to because i can't remember which sounded best! (the main difference was how the vocals presented in the mix). The music is what matters most, and the mind meets it halfway, which is why you can love music through a little transistor radio. It's about set and setting, though the "set" isn't just mindset but what you got, glad i got that Mimby, even if it's mostly a second-string player.
Actually........ I just read not long ago that there will be Mimby 2 coming December with Unison USB.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-modi-3e.962813/page-4#post-17230765

But that's a good tip, I will check out SMSL D300 lol.

Thanks!

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #4,547 of 4,588
Mimby is history? Happy to say i have one as an alternate in my main system, though i could swap it into a different HP-only system easily enough. My main 2-channel system has a locally made VTV amp (Hypex NC250) which only has balanced inputs. Originally i used a Schiit Saga with RCA-to-XLR cables. Thinking that was a SQ bottleneck of some sort i eventually added an SMSL HO200, primarily as the preamp, as it has balanced inputs/outputs. Doubles as an HP amp. i gave my Saga to my son, who has most of my old stereo equipment. Bought a Mimby in January of this year. I was on the fence, figuring it was a five-year-old design, and perhaps they'd be updating it soon (i'd also given my son my Modi 3). Glad i got it, the sound is similar to the Burr-Brown DACs i like. If it's not feasible for Schiit to make it again then i'm more than glad it's here.
But having that audio-fool itch, i got an SMSL D300, in part for a fully balanced signal chain, also in part for remote volume control (the HO200 was six feet away from my listening chair for manual volume adjustment!) and for having a different chip, the Rohm BD-whatever. Having both DACs in parallel i could do a non-blind A-B and to my ears the sound was all but identical, such that the convenience of the remote volume became the deciding factor in mostly using the D300 chain. That said the HO200 also has SE inputs, and i used those for other gear, ultimately asking for my Saga back and piggy-backing that onto the other preamp, so as to have use of the Saga's set of inputs. Nothing blew up, lol. The system as it is now includes three CD source options (one has the old Pacific Microsonics HDCD processor, and i found, back in the day, that i really enjoyed the sound of those), i can listen old-school through their internal DACs, or two through the Mimby, one through the Rohm, so five options to convert the signal of any one CD to analog (my son has all my old vinyl). Kind of Rube Goldberg, a lot of fun, but i can get lost in the weeds. i spent a lot of time listening to the Elvis Costello - Burt Bacharach "Painted from Memory," an HDCD, three different ways, one after the other, good thing i took notes i can refer to because i can't remember which sounded best! (the main difference was how the vocals presented in the mix). The music is what matters most, and the mind meets it halfway, which is why you can love music through a little transistor radio. It's about set and setting, though the "set" isn't just mindset but what you got, glad i got that Mimby, even if it's mostly a second-string player.
Supply issue with the Analog Devices chips brought the end to the Mimby as we no it. There's a Modi Multibit 2 in the works though!

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #4,548 of 4,588
& for SQ alone the Mimby is bang-for-the-buck winner. i like to have good budget stuff (if i had more self-control i'd have less of it and so maybe a Gungir), at $250 for the SQ vs $400 for pretty much the same SQ (similar enough to my ears) of the D300, but like i said the additional features nailed it for me.

Nov 11, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #4,551 of 4,588
Nov 23, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #4,556 of 4,588
Absolutely, still a bargain for sure, just wish the chassis was the bigger Modius size. As much as I like the mini Schiit it can be too small.
I'm the opposite, if they can deliver the same sound in as small as possible then I'd go for that LOL.

Imagine Modi Multibit 2 sounding very close to Bifrost 2. One can dream.......

Nov 23, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #4,557 of 4,588
I'm the opposite, if they can deliver the same sound in as small as possible then I'd go for that LOL.

Imagine Modi Multibit 2 sounding very close to Bifrost 2. One can dream.......
My one gripe with the Modi Multibit was the power supply and coupled with the fact that R2R should be left on 24/7 meant lots of strain on a wall wart.
If it could have a decent power supply in a somewhat compact form factor, then that would be chef's kiss.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #4,558 of 4,588
My one gripe with the Modi Multibit was the power supply and coupled with the fact that R2R should be left on 24/7 meant lots of strain on a wall wart.
If it could have a decent power supply in a somewhat compact form factor, then that would be chef's kiss.
As far as I am aware, with it being an A.C. Supply, there would only be a transformer in the wall wart. Transformers tend to be the most hardy of components unless it is under specified or the windings are loose.

The most fragile part of the unit is likely to be the cable.

Andrew

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #4,559 of 4,588
Over the years i have bought and sold the modi MB a few times and never really felt it was what i was looking for. But, after hearing about the op-amp swap to liven up, enhance clarity and generally improve the sound qualities of the modi mb I decided to give it a try. WOW

I am more than surprised by the result of the simple swap involving 3 op amps on the bottom side of the board, including the I/V and buffer, and the DC offset OPamps on the bottom side of the board. The swap of just three components breathes all new life into the little DAC. Staging, textures and Clarity/Air are the stand out improvements. Its the modi mb 2 that many have been asking for!

the involved parts are the 2x AD8512 with x2 OPA1656 and the 1 AD0821 with OPA2156
opamp swap.jpeg

Of course, it involves risk as the board is tightly packed with components that could easily be damaged with rogue solder or a slip of the iron so please be careful.
I just did this mod today with only x2 OPA1656, do you think replacing the 1 AD0821 with OPA2156 is worth it? So far i prefer it over the stock and notice a huge difference in the staging/clarity, but my setup only consists of a Valhalla 2, Mimby+Eitr with USB 5v line connected with iFi Defender and powered by a Allo Shanti linear power supply connected to a SurgeX SX-1115-RT with HD650 headphones, i dont use anything else.

Jan 20, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #4,560 of 4,588
I just did this mod today with only x2 OPA1656, do you think replacing the 1 AD0821 with OPA2156 is worth it? So far i prefer it over the stock and notice a huge difference in the staging/clarity, but my setup only consists of a Valhalla 2, Mimby+Eitr with USB 5v line connected with iFi Defender and powered by a Allo Shanti linear power supply connected to a SurgeX SX-1115-RT with HD650 headphones, i dont use anything else.
Since it’s already back together and the dc servo makes the smallest of differences i would just skip it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back