Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Apr 22, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #4,441 of 4,588
So, I tried with the laptop and established that the Modi was fine. I tried rebooting the iMac and what do you know, problem is gone. Maybe there was some corruption
with the USB system? Thanks Dana Reed for your input.
Yeah, my first computer tech support option is always reboot, whether it’s MacOS or Windows or whatever. I just set up my Roon core Mac mini to reboot every 2 weeks on a schedule to avoid weirdness and that’s helped .

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #4,442 of 4,588
Some pigs waiting for their Schiit to happen!

So iv been trying to get hold of a mimby (v2) for quite some time here in India. Been waiting from February 2021 when i placed the order. The dates just keep getting pushed further and the last update from Schiit was 17June 2021. Waiting to get my hands on the coveted lil wonder but COVID really not making it easy for either Schiit or me! Eventually got my hands on a used v1, requested for an order cancellation.

With the v1 on the way, my soul is 'partly at rest' :) Now the chase begins for ordering the v2 upgrade, have emailed Schiit to help out with this. Though with the continuing shortage of parts, COVID supply chain bottlenecks, etc. i'm bit sceptical that the upgrade chip will be shipped anytime soon.

My hearts set on v2 and having read 'all 297' pages sifting through posts on the incremental gains of v2 over v1, it seems to be well worth the wait. Holed up indoors thanks to Covid, with music being the only source to uplift one's spirits, the mimby became a real need.

Any placebo suggestions to quell the yearing would be welcome :D

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #4,443 of 4,588
Some pigs waiting for their Schiit to happen!

So iv been trying to get hold of a mimby (v2) for quite some time here in India. Been waiting from February 2021 when i placed the order. The dates just keep getting pushed further and the last update from Schiit was 17June 2021. Waiting to get my hands on the coveted lil wonder but COVID really not making it easy for either Schiit or me! Eventually got my hands on a used v1, requested for an order cancellation.

With the v1 on the way, my soul is 'partly at rest' :) Now the chase begins for ordering the v2 upgrade, have emailed Schiit to help out with this. Though with the continuing shortage of parts, COVID supply chain bottlenecks, etc. i'm bit sceptical that the upgrade chip will be shipped anytime soon.

My hearts set on v2 and having read 'all 297' pages sifting through posts on the incremental gains of v2 over v1, it seems to be well worth the wait. Holed up indoors thanks to Covid, with music being the only source to uplift one's spirits, the mimby became a real need.

I really hope they can ship it, awaiting their revert (even if it costs me $35+ $70 shipping). Unnerved, oscillating between keeping my hopes up for the upgrade being shipped ASAP or just conceding/ being content with what i have 'now' rather than yearn for what i could have (later)?

Any placebo suggestions to quell the yearing would be welcome :D
Yeah I think a lot of Schiit products (not just Modi Multibit) are short on parts. Really not helping the case, hopefully you can get your v2 upgrade parts soon!

Now I have another question for other people, like you said you read through "all 297" (dude you're insane) pages to see if the v1 to v2 upgrade is worth it.

I'm trying to revisit the "using Eitr instead of USB" upgrade to see if it's worth it.

I keep hearing people say "your mileage may vary" but it seems like the 2 things Eitr address is fix the clock timing and power (since Eitr come with linear power supply, but doesn't Mimby come with linear power supply anyway?). So it sounds like it mainly address imaging and naturalness but tonality and timber is the same.

Right now Eitr is discontinued so it's a bit pain in the butt to source one, I can either wait for the B-stock to come back (I've seen it come back once, missed my chance), or find alternatives.

Would you guys suggest:

1) Wait for Eitr, it's worth the wait, and make the stack look pretty.
2) Get the Douk Audio USB Converter

https://www.amazon.ca/Douk-Audio-Co...&keywords=douk+audio+u2&qid=1623525966&sr=8-5
3) Get Topping D10S and use it just for the digital out.
https://www.amazon.ca/Topping-D10s-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
4) Or just forget about this altogether and sell the Mimby and get a higher end DAC (someone suggested Allo Revolution or Geshelli J2).

I'm in Canada so the price of Eitr will most likely be about the same as price of Topping D10S.

What do you guys think?

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #4,444 of 4,588
Yeah I think a lot of Schiit products (not just Modi Multibit) are short on parts. Really not helping the case, hopefully you can get your v2 upgrade parts soon!

Now I have another question for other people, like you said you read through "all 297" (dude you're insane) pages to see if the v1 to v2 upgrade is worth it.

I'm trying to revisit the "using Eitr instead of USB" upgrade to see if it's worth it.

I keep hearing people say "your mileage may vary" but it seems like the 2 things Eitr address is fix the clock timing and power (since Eitr come with linear power supply, but doesn't Mimby come with linear power supply anyway?). So it sounds like it mainly address imaging and naturalness but tonality and timber is the same.

Right now Eitr is discontinued so it's a bit pain in the butt to source one, I can either wait for the B-stock to come back (I've seen it come back once, missed my chance), or find alternatives.

Would you guys suggest:

https://www.amazon.ca/Douk-Audio-Co...&keywords=douk+audio+u2&qid=1623525966&sr=8-5
https://www.amazon.ca/Topping-D10s-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
4) Or just forget about this altogether and sell the Mimby and get a higher end DAC (someone suggested Allo Revolution or Geshelli J2).

I'm in Canada so the price of Eitr will most likely be about the same as price of Topping D10S.

What do you guys think?
I can comment on options 2 and 3. Either of them would be a worse option than option 1, at least from an engineering standpoint.

Eitr has true electromagnetic and electrostatic isolation. As far as I know, the source USB powers only the USB receiver and the Eitr's power supply powers the rest of the circuit (clocks, SPDIF conversion, etc).

Options 2 and 3 don't have separate power supplies so the source USB has to power everything. Even if you get the benefit of conversion to SPDIF (no power thru coax cable), the circuitry used for the conversion is still powered by the source USB. Depending on how noisy your source is, you may not see much benefit from options 2 and 3.

Also FYI, Modi MB has a linear power supply.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #4,445 of 4,588

Would you guys suggest:

What do you guys think?
Hey @Hyde00

I wrote to Schiit and they responsed - will be able to ship the upgrade ROM...fingers crossed, it should get here soon

My 2 cents - get a coaxial transport (Allo Digione/Digione Signature/Pi2AES/similar) and feed the mimby through Coaxial/SPDIF - thats better than USB. Serves as a network streamer as well and you keep the mimby. The topping D10s conversion may not give you better results than EITR, so EITR would be a better bet from ecosystem integration perspective. Only upside with D10 s - you get a back up entry level dac. so its AlloDigione> EITR> D10s

DAC upgrade option is different ballgame altogether!

Jun 13, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #4,446 of 4,588
I can comment on options 2 and 3. Either of them would be a worse option than option 1, at least from an engineering standpoint.

Eitr has true electromagnetic and electrostatic isolation. As far as I know, the source USB powers only the USB receiver and the Eitr's power supply powers the rest of the circuit (clocks, SPDIF conversion, etc).

Options 2 and 3 don't have separate power supplies so the source USB has to power everything. Even if you get the benefit of conversion to SPDIF (no power thru coax cable), the circuitry used for the conversion is still powered by the source USB. Depending on how noisy your source is, you may not see much benefit from options 2 and 3.

Also FYI, Modi MB has a linear power supply.
Yeah I think I previously thought Eitr was too expensive for what it is, but after learning about what goes inside the unit now I understand why it cost how much it is.

But I can also see why it didn't sell well and they had to discontinue it, I'd imagine most people were like me who didn't understand what goes inside the unit and thought it was too expensive. And with all their newer units coming out with updated USB it makes Eitr less and less necessary.

That being said since I still have the Mimby so I'll wait for b-stock Eitr to come back then lol. Thank you for your advice!
Hey @Hyde00

I wrote to Schiit and they responsed - will be able to ship the upgrade ROM...fingers crossed, it should get here soon

My 2 cents - get a coaxial transport (Allo Digione/Digione Signature/Pi2AES/similar) and feed the mimby through Coaxial/SPDIF - thats better than USB. Serves as a network streamer as well and you keep the mimby. The topping D10s conversion may not give you better results than EITR, so EITR would be a better bet from ecosystem integration perspective. Only upside with D10 s - you get a back up entry level dac. so its AlloDigione> EITR> D10s

DAC upgrade option is different ballgame altogether!
lol nice! Hopefully you'll get your unit soon!

As for your suggestion, doesn't the Digione need a Raspberry Pi? I currently don't have a Raspberry Pi and I think the cost would be too high at that point.

I'm ok with Eitr b-stock being at $89, but any higher I feel like I'll just wait to upgrade my dac entirely lol (i.e. Allo Revolution).

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Jun 13, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #4,448 of 4,588
Go for the Eitr, it did improve my Modi Multibit V2 (and even my friend's Topping D7s) greatly

If not, sell your Modi Multibit and head for a Biifrost 2 since it already has Unison USB by default which should sound better than the Mimby+Eitr stack
Hmmm I previously had a Asgard 3 on my desk and thought it was too bulky, I much prefer the footprint of Mimby + Vali 2+ stack that I have now.

I might shoot for the Eitr first and go for bigger upgrade a little bit later down the line.

Time to refresh the b-stock page and head-fi classified everyday now LOL. Thanks!

Sep 30, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #4,453 of 4,588
How does performance compare between Modi Multibit, Bifrost multibit and Bifrost 2
On scale of 1 to 5, If MM is 1 and BM is 2 then Bifrost 2 is 5 ?
the BF2 is as good as a denafrips ares 2, thanks to the dual chips they use in the gungnir multibit. Its been called the mini yggy for that reason. if ur looking to dip your feet in the schiit multibit pool and have a limited budget, modi multibit 2 is fantastic value for money, just ensure u can feed it with a good SPDIF source. Older versions of modi multibit and bifrost have older ROMs which tend to make bass loose and bloomy. It sounds good but ul miss layering/growl in bass notes with older models. V2 versions fixed that while keeping the bass slam intact. of the 3, Bifrost 2 is the best, so yes closer to 5.
Cheers

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #4,454 of 4,588
You can't beat the Modi multibit for $250. I had one and sold it to try something else and missed it so much that I bought another one several months ago and now use it exclusively with my Audiolab CD6000CDT transport.
I've owned a Modi 3, Bifrost 4490, Bifrost multibit, Modius, and Topping D50. The Modi multibit is still my favorite. I've been intending to buy a Bifrost 2 but the Modi multibit has kept me happy, as has my Asgard 3. $1500 headphones and a $250 DAC and $200 headphone amp but it works for me. My birthday is this month so I'm finally going to take the Bifrost 2 plunge. I was considering an Ares II but I'm going to stay loyal to Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back