Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 20, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #4,321 of 4,588
Still using Asgard 2 and the first generation modi. Thinking of upgrading the dac to replace the modi first gen. Any recommendations?

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #4,322 of 4,588
Still using Asgard 2 and the first generation modi. Thinking of upgrading the dac to replace the modi first gen. Any recommendations?
You should replace the Asgard 2 first. It isn't a good amp.
If you still want to upgrade your dac. I can say the modi multibit v2 is incredible (the first / early version is not so much). But you will not ( or very difficult) hear any difference between dacs with the Asgard 2

Sep 20, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #4,323 of 4,588

that's his opinion. I still love my Asgard 2 and have heard many amps. i noticed an improve sound when I upgraded to Modi 3 dac

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #4,325 of 4,588
Unless you are running out of power doubt you will gain much if anything changing the amp but i did find going to a multibit made listening to my music collection more enjoyable.

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #4,326 of 4,588
You should replace the Asgard 2 first. It isn't a good amp.
If you still want to upgrade your dac. I can say the modi multibit v2 is incredible (the first / early version is not so much). But you will not ( or very difficult) hear any difference between dacs with the Asgard 2

Modi Multibit is indeed very good, I have the v1 Modi Multibit upgraded with the new v2 firmware. It is possible to order an upgrade chip if you ask Schiit about it even though it’s not listed on their site. I asked to have it added when I ordered a few other items.

Anyway, having swapped the old firmware to the new and reassembling the Modi M I didn’t think I heard very much of a difference (if any at all). YMMV of course. This was with a Magni3 as amp, I don’t have Asgard2 so I can’t comment on that.

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #4,327 of 4,588
Modi Multibit is indeed very good, I have the v1 Modi Multibit upgraded with the new v2 firmware. It is possible to order an upgrade chip if you ask Schiit about it even though it’s not listed on their site. I asked to have it added when I ordered a few other items.

Anyway, having swapped the old firmware to the new and reassembling the Modi M I didn’t think I heard very much of a difference (if any at all). YMMV of course. This was with a Magni3 as amp, I don’t have Asgard2 so I can’t comment on that.
I don't know if it is about firmware or hardware related. I bought the Modi Multibit right after it was released. I used it for a few years. Then i bought a new v2 Modi Multibit and a Modi 3 in late 2019 just because of my curiosity.
The Modi 3 was really good, it sounded familiar to the sound from my computer/phones/ portable players..but more smooth and separated. And it sounded cleaner, less thick, faster and more sparkling compared to the v1 Modi Multibit.
The v2 Modi Multibit kept all the strengths and removed the weaknesses from 2 other dacs. I was very pleased.
The Magni 3 is a nice amp.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #4,328 of 4,588
Unless you are running out of power doubt you will gain much if anything changing the amp but i did find going to a multibit made listening to my music collection more enjoyable.

agree with you. using mine with an iFi iPurifier 3.0. have no plans to get rid of it unless i can trade it with cash towards a bifrost 2 or gungir.

Oct 16, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #4,333 of 4,588
I hope this is okay to re-post here (I posted this in the Help & Recommendation section of the site but haven't gotten any responses as of yet). Please forgive me if it isn't!

- - -

I kinda need some help getting these two dacs connected to my single Eitr, using either an RCA Y-splitter cable (that I made sure works fine with coax cables) and / or an RCA switch (for 2-in / 1-out). I've actually had them both hooked up and working before, but for some reason the Mimby hadn't wanted to output actual sound in a couple of weeks and I'm pretty much starting over re-connecting everything to see what might be the issue. Only thing is that it would help a ton of anyone would be kind enough to possibly explain to me how they've connected it all step by step or something similar; even pictures of the back of their Mimby / Eitr / Loki units would be a big help (or anything similar as well). My pc recognizes the Eitr, Mimby, and Airist just fine, and I do know only one can be used at a time and I keep one turned off when using the other. I'd really appreciate any help whatsoever!
That's an interesting case. 1 Eitr to 2 DACs. I've never attempted this so I'm speculating about the following.
Do typical RCA splitters work for coax SPDIF signals? In the analog domain, (i.e. 1 DAC to 2 amps) is not a problem because an amp's line level inputs usually have very high impedance (≥10 kOhms) so the DAC can drive both amps easy.
I'm not sure how the analogy works in the coax SPDIF domain. Does it work by impedance bridging (low source impedance into high load impedance) or by impedance matching (equal impedance from source to cable to load)?

Interesting problem you brought. Hope somebody has a more expert opinion than me.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #4,334 of 4,588
Thanks for replying, man. Aa far as I know, the RCA Y-splitter cable was made to work with coax. It's the Monoprice Onix Series IIIP Male RCA to 2 Male RCA Pigtail cable; made with RG-6 / U and double braided copper shield. I believe it's got a 75ohm impedance as well. Really well made, and as far as I remember worked well before. Honestly, dealing with this thing has gotten a bit too complicated and has become frustrating as heck lol.
The coax between my Eitr and Modi Multibit is a Monoprice Onix as well (not a splitter, just a straight 75 Ohms coax cable). Solid cable for a good price.

You said it worked well before. Did you ever get the Eitr to drive the 2 DACs? What changed?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back