Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Nov 19, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #4,171 of 4,588
bifrost has the better USB, and I've never heard weird glitchy artifacts in it from its USB. modi multibit, I had initially had that issue, so I got the Eitr to fix it.
modi, I've also had the occasional "ringing" issue where the sound in one channel gets weird, and the only solution is to power cycle it. Not sure if that's fixed in the firmware upgrade that been discussed here, or which version of the firmware I actually have for that.

Other than those issues, I can't tell them apart in A/B. The Bifrost is heavier, stacks better with my Asgard 2, and doesn't move around on the table as easily.

The other claim to fame with the Bifrost is that it can be upgraded. While this is true, I found the cost too prohibitive to upgrade my Bifrost 4490 considering currency exchange and shipping costs. Instead I simply sold my Bifrost 4490 and purchased a Modi Multibt.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #4,172 of 4,588
The other claim to fame with the Bifrost is that it can be upgraded. While this is true, I found the cost too prohibitive to upgrade my Bifrost 4490 considering currency exchange and shipping costs. Instead I simply sold my Bifrost 4490 and purchased a Modi Multibt.
I had the Modi Multibit first, and bought the Bifrost Multibit when the Gen5 USB came out. I probably won't upgrade to Unison USB, since the Gen 5 works perfectly, and if it ain't broke...

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #4,175 of 4,588
Hi guys, i have Modi Multibit and it's amazing little dac, unbeatable for the price (i use usb directly from laptop), but i would like to upgrade and thinking about entry level R2R dacs from Audio-GD, Soekris or Denafrips for 700-800$. Do you think it would be significant increase in SQ? Or it's better just to save money and add the Eitr and new firmware chip to the chain, because the difference won't be night and day? Unfortunately i have not option to listen to these dacs. Thank you for any advices.

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #4,176 of 4,588
It’s a Modi MB thread so your post is kinda out of topic. Anyways, are you looking to keep the sound sig of Modi and just elevate the technicality? IMO, you won’t get the best out of those DACs you mentioned if you’re going to use USB since I haven’t heard a USB solution better than the Unison from the Bifrost 2. Can’t compare the Bifrost 2 from those DACs since I haven’t heard them but Bifrost 2 is clearly a noticeable step up from Modi MB especially through Unison

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #4,177 of 4,588
Hi guys, i have Modi Multibit and it's amazing little dac, unbeatable for the price (i use usb directly from laptop), but i would like to upgrade and thinking about entry level R2R dacs from Audio-GD, Soekris or Denafrips for 700-800$. Do you think it would be significant increase in SQ? Or it's better just to save money and add the Eitr and new firmware chip to the chain, because the difference won't be night and day? Unfortunately i have not option to listen to these dacs. Thank you for any advices.
I have the modi multibit and the Denafrips ares. The ares is more than 2x the price of the modi, and actually is quite a bit more interesting to me in my tradtional two channel stereo. I have the modi now serving as the DAC on my PC based music system. That being said, I don't use the USB input in the Denafrips, just the coax and toslink. I would think a more interesting comparison would be the new bifrost v2 to the Denafrips....kind of a shoot out between a traditional r2r ladder dac (denafrips) and the chip based bifrost solution. One thing to bear in mind if you want to try a Denafrips, it is a Chinese based company with no returns. They have a decent warranty, but buying their stuff is a bit of a leap of faith, although it seems to resell well. Ifout, I the bifrrost 2 was already out when I bought the Denafrips, I probably would have gone that route...

Dec 2, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #4,178 of 4,588
It’s a Modi MB thread so your post is kinda out of topic. Anyways, are you looking to keep the sound sig of Modi and just elevate the technicality? IMO, you won’t get the best out of those DACs you mentioned if you’re going to use USB since I haven’t heard a USB solution better than the Unison from the Bifrost 2. Can’t compare the Bifrost 2 from those DACs since I haven’t heard them but Bifrost 2 is clearly a noticeable step up from Modi MB especially through Unison

I have the modi multibit and the Denafrips ares. The ares is more than 2x the price of the modi, and actually is quite a bit more interesting to me in my tradtional two channel stereo. I have the modi now serving as the DAC on my PC based music system. That being said, I don't use the USB input in the Denafrips, just the coax and toslink. I would think a more interesting comparison would be the new bifrost v2 to the Denafrips....kind of a shoot out between a traditional r2r ladder dac (denafrips) and the chip based bifrost solution. One thing to bear in mind if you want to try a Denafrips, it is a Chinese based company with no returns. They have a decent warranty, but buying their stuff is a bit of a leap of faith, although it seems to resell well. Ifout, I the bifrrost 2 was already out when I bought the Denafrips, I probably would have gone that route...
Thank you for your reply. The option with Bifrost 2 is really interesting, the difference between Mimby and Bimby v.1 was not so big.
I just want to upgrade my DAC (although I like Modi, that's why I was thinking just to add Eitr and be happy with it), but I want to find some affordable multibit DAC that's not going to break the bank. Thanks again.

Dec 2, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #4,179 of 4,588

I don’t know about those DACs, but from the Modi Multibit the Bifrost2, to my ears, is a significant - and immediately noticeable - step up in SQ, in just about all regards.

Dec 5, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #4,181 of 4,588
anyone know how the mimby fares against the Topping D50s?
In what way? If you want the lowest possible SINAD, then a multibit DAC won’t beat the D50s.
My only complaint on the mimby was the USB implementation had audible noise. I fixed that by using an Eitr, but you could use any USB->SPDIF for that. And anything higher than mimby, I haven’t had any USB issues.
For the Topping, the main thing I’d worry about is warranty/repair work might be harder to get done than with Schiit. I have a DX7s, which hasn’t had any problems, but if I did I don’t think, I’d have much luck. I got it on massdrop and you get 30 days there.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #4,182 of 4,588
In what way? If you want the lowest possible SINAD, then a multibit DAC won’t beat the D50s.
My only complaint on the mimby was the USB implementation had audible noise. I fixed that by using an Eitr, but you could use any USB->SPDIF for that. And anything higher than mimby, I haven’t had any USB issues.
For the Topping, the main thing I’d worry about is warranty/repair work might be harder to get done than with Schiit. I have a DX7s, which hasn’t had any problems, but if I did I don’t think, I’d have much luck. I got it on massdrop and you get 30 days there.

Nothing Technical, just for overall musicality & detail.

I used to have the D30 and Modi 3 but unfortunately I sold them before getting the mimby. I am just curious how the mimby stacks up against the d50 for anyone who has heard / owned them at the same time. I understand the mimby has a more holographic analog like sound.

BTW, what changes do you hear when using the Eitr? I have a Fiio E10 which has coax out but when I use it on the mimby, it sounds clean but thin and compressed in the mids compared to USB which makes it sound quite bright. Is this sound change something similar to what you hear with the Eitr?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back