Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Mar 29, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #4,126 of 4,588
LCD-4 which I seldom use. Wanna buy 'em ... $3,500 all day includes shipping.
Yeah, I like my LCD-2f, but not willing to go beyond that cost. Or at least past the GS2000e, which is the most expensive and still my favorite overall. Curious about the HD800s and HE6SE, but not enough to shell out yet. Love my Gumby too, but hard to say if it’s worth it over my Bimby for headphones. For speakers feeding a pair of mono blocks, yes, but I can’t tell the difference with headphones.

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #4,127 of 4,588
Yeah, I like my LCD-2f, but not willing to go beyond that cost. Or at least past the GS2000e, which is the most expensive and still my favorite overall. Curious about the HD800s and HE6SE, but not enough to shell out yet. Love my Gumby too, but hard to say if it’s worth it over my Bimby for headphones. For speakers feeding a pair of mono blocks, yes, but I can’t tell the difference with headphones.

I've heard good things about the GS2000e.
I owned the BiFrost back when the MB tech wasn't yet available for the BiFrost or Gungnir DACs.
Then decided to go balanced so sold the BiFrost.
I got a bit carried away ... the LCD-4 actually aren't for sale: they sound too good to sell :)

Mar 30, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #4,128 of 4,588
OK here's a nifty design detail by Schiit Audio.

Louie's mini-stack will be Eitr - Mimby - Loki - Magni3.

The floor wart has four outputs. 2x16VAC, 14VAC, and 6VAC.
Those outputs exactly match the needs of the mini gear, so the one wart will drive 'em all.
Cool, eh :)

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #4,130 of 4,588
Here's a mixed bag stack mimby > sys > CTH > Basx a-100 to power The fostex T-XO & Unifi UB5'S. The SYS gives me the input from the component rack for CD & turntable playback.Massdrop CTH also for driving the T-XO or 553 pro's.

Jul 16, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #4,131 of 4,588
I'm only 3 years late with this review, but here it is:

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #4,134 of 4,588
Well done, Amos. Very clear description of the PC board (interesting) and the benefits of the MB design.

I had the pleasure of helping my son-in-law setup his first real Schiit stack:
iPod touch (ALAC) -> Apple camera cable -> USB cable -> Eitr -> ModiMB -> Loki -> Magni3 -> HD650.
All cables (except the Apple) are Schiit PYST.
Total rig cost ~$1,100 including the HPs, not counting the iPod that was on hand.

I tested the rig with my HD800 headphones and was pleasantly surprised by the SQ and how well the rig drove them.
Thanks for the tip about the Vali2 amp sounding better than the Magni3. Christmas is coming :)

Cheers,
RCB

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #4,135 of 4,588
Well done, Amos. Very clear description of the PC board (interesting) and the benefits of the MB design.

I had the pleasure of helping my son-in-law setup his first real Schiit stack:
iPod touch (ALAC) -> Apple camera cable -> USB cable -> Eitr -> ModiMB -> Loki -> Magni3 -> HD650.
All cables (except the Apple) are Schiit PYST.
Total rig cost ~$1,100 including the HPs, not counting the iPod that was on hand.

I tested the rig with my HD800 headphones and was pleasantly surprised by the SQ and how well the rig drove them.
Thanks for the tip about the Vali2 amp sounding better than the Magni3. Christmas is coming :)

Cheers,
RCB
That is a legit great sounding setup

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #4,136 of 4,588
I have one of these that Ive been trying to sell, for quite some time actually, and for some reason people keep trying to offer me 150 for it...has the value on these really tanked that bad or am I just dealing with a bunch of lowballers?

Jul 25, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #4,137 of 4,588
I have one of these that Ive been trying to sell, for quite some time actually, and for some reason people keep trying to offer me 150 for it...has the value on these really tanked that bad or am I just dealing with a bunch of lowballers?
"One "guess" is Schiit has upgraded the modi. I see some people's profiles listing the Mimby with "Schiit Modi MB (v2 Firmware)."

To me, that would immediately make the older mimby drop in price in the used market? I'm getting a new DAC and might just give mimby to my son. For the money, it is a great DAC, even without the v2 Firmware (I have no idea how that would get installed if a person wanted it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back