Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Mar 4, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #4,081 of 4,588
Thanks to all for your sage advice. Y'all are right about the want of a Mimby.
I'm a MB fan after doing the Gungnir to Gumby upgrade a couple years ago.

Will look into the Eitr. That was my #1 concern, that the iPod USB wouldn't be robust enough.

It would be good if Schiit would upgrade the Modi to the Gen5 USB (like my Gumby).
It is very much better than the old Gen2, but I understand about limited space in the box.

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #4,082 of 4,588
OK, I'm almost convinced to do the Eitr.
What RCA cable are y'all using between Eitr and Modi ... is the PYST cable on Schiit's website good enough?

Mar 4, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #4,084 of 4,588
I decided to go with the Eitr along with the Modi MB + Magni.
Looking forward to hear this rig, myself. A fun project here.
Thanks all, for your help.
Head-Fi you folks rock :)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #4,086 of 4,588
I decided to go with the Eitr along with the Modi MB + Magni.
Looking forward to hear this rig, myself. A fun project here.
Thanks all, for your help. Head-Fi and you rock :)

You will like what you hear.

OK, I'm almost convinced to do the Eitr.
What RCA cable are y'all using between Eitr and Modi ... is the PYST cable on Schiit's website good enough?

Sure. With such a short distance any shielded cable will do. I use Monoprice's.

Bluejeans also make good cables for a decent price. I used one of theirs in my Eitr/Mimby setup. Sounded great.

Mar 5, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #4,087 of 4,588
Bluejeans also make good cables for a decent price. I used one of theirs in my Eitr/Mimby setup. Sounded great.

Yup. Based on recommendations on Head-Fi, I ran all Blue Jeans cables through my multiple headphone amps.

I started building my Home Theater setup shortly after, and I have all Blue Jeans RCA and subwoofer cables there too. Recommended :)

Mar 7, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #4,088 of 4,588
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #4,089 of 4,588
It's a shame that the EITR isn't selling well. It provides a discernable improvement vs direct USB connection between computer and DAC.

I agree with this comment, although mine was built-in as Gen5 USB inside my Gumby.
Made a very nice difference in stability + SQ :)

Mar 11, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #4,090 of 4,588
New Schiit delivered today. The cost-saving measures are clearly evident :)

New Schiit.JPG

Mar 12, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #4,091 of 4,588
Much better unboxed and connected with the Schiit PYST cables.
The rig is driving my HD800 quite well - !
The gear has a nice, full, rich SQ to it. Do y'all leave the Modi MB powered on all the time?

Glencairn glass provided for gear perspective and added listening pleasure LOL.

IMG_1348.JPG IMG_1349.JPG
:)

Mar 12, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #4,093 of 4,588
I own both a Modi 2U, Modi Multibit and Modi 3. I couldn't really hear the differencce between the Mimby and Modi 3. But I realize that my pairing them with the Magni 3 may be limiting my ability to discern the difference this the Magni 3 introduces it's own sound signature over both dacs.
When you guys hear the Mimby from the Modi 3, what differences are you hearing?

Also I see that many of you have decided to get the Eitr to pair your Modi with. Which is interesting, because I also wanted to move away from USB, but I decided to just buy a sound card (HT Omega Fenix PCIe) with a digital coax output. Do you think a USB to Coax converter box with perform better than a direct coax connection? I assume no, but so many people are choosing the Eitr.

Mar 12, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #4,094 of 4,588
I have a similar setup with my Vali 2. I leave Mimby on all the time.

Thanks. I assume, like all Schiit MB DACs, that the Modi MB improves with age.
Is that your experience :)

Mar 12, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #4,095 of 4,588
I own both a Modi 2U, Modi Multibit and Modi 3. I couldn't really hear the differencce between the Mimby and Modi 3. But I realize that my pairing them with the Magni 3 may be limiting my ability to discern the difference this the Magni 3 introduces it's own sound signature over both dacs.
When you guys hear the Mimby from the Modi 3, what differences are you hearing?

Also I see that many of you have decided to get the Eitr to pair your Modi with. Which is interesting, because I also wanted to move away from USB, but I decided to just buy a sound card (HT Omega Fenix PCIe) with a digital coax output. Do you think a USB to Coax converter box with perform better than a direct coax connection? I assume no, but so many people are choosing the Eitr.

I'm comparing the rig pictured to my experience with Gen5/Gumby/A2. No experience with the other products you mentioned, sorry.
The Modi MB has very decent instrument definition / clarity, out of the box.
That was my goal with this purchase (for my son-in-law). He will love it (compared to an iPod).

Since USB will be the source for this rig, I went with an Eitr as well ... it greatly improves the stability of the overall rig IMO.
On my Gumby rig, I had went to optical vs. the old Gen2 USB, which sucked.
When I got the Gen5 USB, I went back to USB. It beats optical SQ. YMMV.
:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back