Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Oct 30, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #4,006 of 4,588
Interesting... I don’t know why but I just compared the multibit and the modi3 and the modi3 sounded better to my ears with the hd6xx and pairing of the magni3 amp. I felt like I did something wrong? This was through the usb input when trying out both dacs.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #4,008 of 4,588
Interesting... I don’t know why but I just compared the multibit and the modi3 and the modi3 sounded better to my ears with the hd6xx and pairing of the magni3 amp. I felt like I did something wrong? This was through the usb input when trying out both dacs.

You might just prefer it, that's all. Nothing wrong with that. Its all about what kind of sound signatures you find appealing. Everyone has different ears and preferences, and while you might be able to get an idea of what will sound good to you based on majority opinion, its not always a sure thing. I've tried pairings that reviewers raved about only to be severely disappointed, and then put together a pairing that many said would sound bad and loved it. Go Figure? Does it make my ears wrong? Who knows? At the end of the days its up to you to decide. Enjoy the modi 3! Glad to hear you like it, especially since its cheaper. Better all around for you :)

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #4,009 of 4,588
You might just prefer it, that's all. Nothing wrong with that. Its all about what kind of sound signatures you find appealing. Everyone has different ears and preferences, and while you might be able to get an idea of what will sound good to you based on majority opinion, its not always a sure thing. I've tried pairings that reviewers raved about only to be severely disappointed, and then put together a pairing that many said would sound bad and loved it. Go Figure? Does it make my ears wrong? Who knows? At the end of the days its up to you to decide. Enjoy the modi 3! Glad to hear you like it, especially since its cheaper. Better all around for you :)

Indeed, audio is very subjective. My Grace Design S DAC with same amp, then swapping it for Mimby, Mimby was much better. I still think Modi 3 is the best thing since sliced bread though, really I don't see any DAC's noticeably sounding better outside of Chord DAC's, but those are super super expensive. So yeah.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #4,010 of 4,588

Alright thnx for your response... I wasn’t expecting to have the multibit sound worse than the modi3... That’s all. Still wondering why it sounds worse. Lol.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #4,011 of 4,588
Alright thnx for your response... I wasn’t expecting to have the multibit sound worse than the modi3... That’s all. Still wondering why it sounds worse. Lol.

No problem! If you think its possibly something wrong with the multibit you could send it in to schiit for a repair if you are willing to eat the return shipping costs in the event they find nothing wrong with it. I did this with my magni 3 since I really did not like the stock sound of it and it also happened to have a bad volume pot. Schiit fixed the volume pot so i was off the hook there, but the sound was normal I was told, so it was just my preferences that were not matching.

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #4,012 of 4,588
Anyone have a good recommendation for a solid state amp to pair with the Mimby? I have a Magni 3, but haven't loved the pairing (probably an unpopular opinion here) and find myself preferring the LCX with SDAC combo I have at work. Any suggestions to upgrade my home system?

My garage1217 project polaris with my mimby/hd600 is absolutely wonderful. Fully recommended, and won't break the bank. For what it's worth the aluminum option is definitely worth it.

Nov 13, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #4,013 of 4,588
Ahh, I had to post this up. I've been under the impression for a while that there was some magic that was happening between my mimby, Asgard 2, and Audeze LCD2C that was going to be really hard to beat for similar money. Well, I've now found the better pairing for just a tick more. The Massdrop THX AAA 789 is phenomenal. Its got this smoothness to it that outdoes the asgard, while being even more transparent and revealing. You get everything there is to get out of the mimby. Its made me honestly extremely impressed with the mimby. I've always been skeptical of dacs making much of a difference, and out of all of my dacs there really is not that much of a difference between them besides the mimby.

For my taste its just on a different level. The sound stage the little box i capable of presenting and the sheer resolution you get with voices and precise imaging is really something the guys at schiit can be proud of. I'm not a fan of everything schiit does, for instance the magni 3 which I'm not really a fan of, but the asgard 2 and the mimby are very nice audio equipment. I'm now probably going to look at getting either a Gungir or Yggdrasill for my next multibit dac. This little mimby has made me a believer. But If I try them and the are not much better than the mimby, I'll just get another mimby for my other rigs. I'm that impressed. Thanks to Schiit for making a very nice dac for a very reasonable price.

Nov 13, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #4,014 of 4,588
Ahh, I had to post this up. I've been under the impression for a while that there was some magic that was happening between my mimby, Asgard 2, and Audeze LCD2C that was going to be really hard to beat for similar money. Well, I've now found the better pairing for just a tick more. The Massdrop THX AAA 789 is phenomenal. Its got this smoothness to it that outdoes the asgard, while being even more transparent and revealing. You get everything there is to get out of the mimby. Its made me honestly extremely impressed with the mimby. I've always been skeptical of dacs making much of a difference, and out of all of my dacs there really is not that much of a difference between them besides the mimby.

For my taste its just on a different level. The sound stage the little box i capable of presenting and the sheer resolution you get with voices and precise imaging is really something the guys at schiit can be proud of. I'm not a fan of everything schiit does, for instance the magni 3 which I'm not really a fan of, but the asgard 2 and the mimby are very nice audio equipment. I'm now probably going to look at getting either a Gungir or Yggdrasill for my next multibit dac. This little mimby has made me a believer. But If I try them and the are not much better than the mimby, I'll just get another mimby for my other rigs. I'm that impressed. Thanks to Schiit for making a very nice dac for a very reasonable price.
I agree also I didn't think I'd hear much of a difference but the mimby really sounds nice especially through the Basx A-100 and my MCTH from massdrop a great pairing.

Dec 19, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #4,017 of 4,588

Yep, that little Schiit is their 'gateway DAC' that'll suck you in quick. And before you know it, you're doing things (and selling things) you thought you never would just to feed your new addiction! :money_mouth:

Dec 19, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #4,018 of 4,588
Yep, that little Schiit is their 'gateway DAC' that'll suck you in quick. And before you know it, you're doing things (and selling things) you thought you never would just to feed your new addiction! :money_mouth:
Hehe, yeah the mimby is very nice. Regardless of how it measures on test benches, the sound it puts out is very pleasing and I could care less about how accurate it is if its sound is in my strike zone. Its got a very nice sense of spaciousness and seperation to it while also not being overly edgy with treble. I've found it to be incredibly good paired with the EITR. That stack along with my THX AAA 789 amp and Audeze LCD2C is a setup I feel that is impossible to beat for the price at this time in the market.

Dec 29, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #4,019 of 4,588
I read through this entire thread before purchasing the Modi Multibit and I’m very happy. I was running the Geshelli Labs ENOG2 PRO, which sounds great, but isn’t the Mimby. I’m running Utopias with them (I know...I’ll get better DACs and amps next year sometime).

I’m not great at describing sound, but the Mimby sounds like I’m listening to vinyl, but without the drawbacks of vinyl (pops, clicks, hiss). It’s the best of both worlds. I love vinyl, but ever since my toddler daughter destroyed my turntable, I decided to put that hobby aside. With this Mimby, I’m not sure I’ll be returning. There is an authenticity to the sound that I don’t get from the AKM dac module on the Jotunheim or the ENOG2 PRO. With this DAC, I get a natural, authentic presentation of musical performance. It doesn’t feel processed. I’m especially impressed listening to classical recordings and movie soundtracks. There details and articulations I never previously heard. It shoots well above it’s modest price point.

I’ve been running this computer=>Eitr=>Mimby=>Jot=>Utopia (or Elex since lending my Utopia to Zeos).

Without the Eitr I get digital artifacts when I move the mouse around. Little blips. Very weird.

I’m sold on Multibit. I see a Gumby or perhaps Yggy in my near future. I get the feeling my Utopia isn’t being pushed to its full potential.

Dec 29, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #4,020 of 4,588
I read through this entire thread before purchasing the Modi Multibit and I’m very happy. I was running the Geshelli Labs ENOG2 PRO, which sounds great, but isn’t the Mimby. I’m running Utopias with them (I know...I’ll get better DACs and amps next year sometime).

I’m not great at describing sound, but the Mimby sounds like I’m listening to vinyl, but without the drawbacks of vinyl (pops, clicks, hiss). It’s the best of both worlds. I love vinyl, but ever since my toddler daughter destroyed my turntable, I decided to put that hobby aside. With this Mimby, I’m not sure I’ll be returning. There is an authenticity to the sound that I don’t get from the AKM dac module on the Jotunheim or the ENOG2 PRO. With this DAC, I get a natural, authentic presentation of musical performance. It doesn’t feel processed. I’m especially impressed listening to classical recordings and movie soundtracks. There details and articulations I never previously heard. It shoots well above it’s modest price point.

I’ve been running this computer=>Eitr=>Mimby=>Jot=>Utopia (or Elex since lending my Utopia to Zeos).

Without the Eitr I get digital artifacts when I move the mouse around. Little blips. Very weird.

I’m sold on Multibit. I see a Gumby or perhaps Yggy in my near future. I get the feeling my Utopia isn’t being pushed to its full potential.

I keep swaying back and fourth between getting the Gumby or the RME ADI 2 dac to replace the mimby, but I'm honestly so pleased with the mimby and eitr that I have not really felt a strong motivation to pull the trigger yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back