Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Oct 15, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #3,991 of 4,588
Anyone have a good recommendation for a solid state amp to pair with the Mimby? I have a Magni 3, but haven't loved the pairing (probably an unpopular opinion here) and find myself preferring the LCX with SDAC combo I have at work. Any suggestions to upgrade my home system?

you probably saw this coming but a lot of people love the mimby+jot pairing.

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #3,992 of 4,588
Oct 15, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #3,993 of 4,588
From what I gather they pair together quite well and the Mimby helps the Jot become a little more well rounded (it's a bit bright on it's own), so they can work with most any headphones that aren't already overly bright (HD700, looking at you) and really shine with those that are a little veiled/dark/warm, like the HD650

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #3,994 of 4,588
From what I gather they pair together quite well and the Mimby helps the Jot become a little more well rounded (it's a bit bright on it's own), so they can work with most any headphones that aren't already overly bright (HD700, looking at you) and really shine with those that are a little veiled/dark/warm, like the HD650

I’m not sure the jot is the best recommendation since he did not like the magni 3 with the mimby to begin with. To my knowledge the magni 3 is warmer than the jot and unless he is after a really bright amp the jot seems a bad choice. He’d probably like the asgard 2 or something more neutral like a Jds labs el amp if he wanted less of a treble grain.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #3,995 of 4,588
Cavalli audio is a thought. Especially with the deals on massdrop , and in the for sale forums on here.
Liquid carbon X , or if you're not afraid of hybrids, the MCTH.
From my experience with schiit amps, they're very transparent and some consider them bright.
Cavalli is definitely a warmer fatter note type sound.
Just my .02
Cheers

Edit: sorry i overlooked the fact that you mentioned that you have a LCX. Which you already prefer over the magni 3.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #3,999 of 4,588
Anybody know if the modi multibit is worth the extra $150 than the modi3???

That depends mostly on you, but one thing is only take opinions seriously if they come from people who have listened to both units and made a real comparison. I've never heard the modi 3, but like my modi multibit.

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #4,000 of 4,588
That depends mostly on you, but one thing is only take opinions seriously if they come from people who have listened to both units and made a real comparison. I've never heard the modi 3, but like my modi multibit.
Schiit says on their website, that they think the Modi multi is better than the Modi 3.

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #4,004 of 4,588

Funny you should say that.

Been awhile since I posted on here. I just got back into headphone sound. I ordered the magni 3 and modi 3 originally just a week or so ago. I really loved the sound. Very clean, wide soundatage a bit bright maybe with massdrop hd 58x jubilee's (outer foam mod making it sound like hd 660s) but I really liked it.

Afterwards, I read the mimby was at a different level... Well naturally I had buyers remorse. I really wanted to hear difference and so I ordered it a week after modi 3. And here we are, I have modi 3 sitting at desk unplugged which has an rma number and scheduled to be dropped off at ups soon for return.

The $150 is definitely worth it. Hard to explain better than already stated. After leaving modi multibit on for over 24 hours there is definitely more depth and seperation in instruments, it sounds smoother. I felt the music more. Live recordings sound amazing. Maybe you could say it sounds darker? It's just better.

Late here or I'd add more, enjoy the dac. I'm wow'd by sound.

Using through usb to pc and tidal hifi and masters.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #4,005 of 4,588
Funny you should say that.

Been awhile since I posted on here. I just got back into headphone sound. I ordered the magni 3 and modi 3 originally just a week or so ago. I really loved the sound. Very clean, wide soundatage a bit bright maybe with massdrop hd 58x jubilee's (outer foam mod making it sound like hd 660s) but I really liked it.

Afterwards, I read the mimby was at a different level... Well naturally I had buyers remorse. I really wanted to hear difference and so I ordered it a week after modi 3. And here we are, I have modi 3 sitting at desk unplugged which has an rma number and scheduled to be dropped off at ups soon for return.

The $150 is definitely worth it. Hard to explain better than already stated. After leaving modi multibit on for over 24 hours there is definitely more depth and seperation in instruments, it sounds smoother. I felt the music more. Live recordings sound amazing.

Late here or I'd add more, enjoy the dac. I'm wow'd by sound.

Using through usb btw to pc and tidal hifi and masters.

Glad you like the mimby! Welcome to the club! I’m happy as a pig in schiit right now listening to my mimby and asgard 2 stack. Love it. Smooth, detailed, transparent and pushed back sound stage with great space and depth and never becomes fatigued. I’m listening to some relaxing classical with my Audeze lcd2c. This combo is already my fav out of the 3 other rigs i own. Also listening to tidal atm. great service. Has almost made pandora obsolete for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back