Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 10, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #3,767 of 4,588
It's a surprisingly good combo- the Jot is a bit forward, the Mimby isn't. Just make sure you feed the Mimby from good S/PDIF. The onboard USB isn't great. The S/PDIF PLLs against the signal, so it's at the mercy of its source. Given the low price of the DAC, it's folly to spend a fortune on anything too outrageous, but Schiit's Eitr will give you both electrical isolation and solid clocks free of phase noise. With that, the Mimby gains way better transients and separation due to lack of smeary sideband frequencies characteristic of jitter- you'll get to hear what it's actually capable of.

Actually, what it's capable of is pretty impressive, for the price.

Agreed, the EITR was one of the most important components in my stack. Actually I'd say it was the most noticable addition. I was feeding the stack from USB off my laptop. Then I tried a SPDIF based feed from a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro equipped Raspberry Pi. The difference was night n' day. The Pi was intended for a different listening station. So I purchaed the EITR to fill the void and haven't looked back. Super happy with it.

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #3,768 of 4,588
Agreed, the EITR was one of the most important components in my stack. Actually I'd say it was the most noticable addition. I was feeding the stack from USB off my laptop. Then I tried a SPDIF based feed from a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro equipped Raspberry Pi. The difference was night n' day. The Pi was intended for a different listening station. So I purchaed the EITR to fill the void and haven't looked back. Super happy with it.
I'm in the same boat but haven't added an EITR yet. My Hifiberry Digi+ Pro coax to my Mimby the Jot is very clean and my preferred way to listen.

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #3,770 of 4,588
My 2 Mimby's each run at about 33.5 degrees celcius. They sit freely (without anything on top of them). My much larger Bimby registers at a cooler 26.0 degrees celcius, however it does have a Jotunheim sitting on top of it. I leave all of my DAC's continuously powered up, occasionally powering them off and back on again to ensure that everything internally is working optimally.

The Bimby is probably cooler because it has a much larger enclosure. I typically don't leave the Jot powered up, only turning it on when I plan to listen to it. After the Jot has been turned on for 30 minutes or so and is fully heated up the Bimby temperature increases to 30.5 degrees celcius.

I have noticed that all of these Multibit DACs sound very similar however they tend to sound best when they are warmer in temperature. I find the Mimby's to be more susceptible to temperature change. They sound much better when they are warm so during the current winter months I place a thin paper back novel on top of them prior to a listening session in order to maintain a consistent warmer temperature.

My Modi Multibit runs almost 10° hotter than yours (without anything on top of it). I wonder if it’s because of a higher ambient temperature (around 30°)

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #3,771 of 4,588
So after several days of being powered on, getting warm and processing music, I thought I should report back on my (subjective) findings. Again, I'm no professional, nor would I call my ears trained. I suspect I'm like most of the average joe's on this forum who know what they like and maybe not know as much about the how's and why's. I had said earlier that the Mimby was a subtle improvement over the Modi 2 Uber (when paired with the Magni 2 Uber). I compared this improvement to a really good wine opening up with some air time to become even better, nuanced. To that end, I'd say the Modi 2 Uber is a really good DAC in this anology. But the Mimby is that little bit better, that wine that has opened up. It was not as big of a difference as I was expecting when I first turned it on. But now that it's had time to warm-up and error correct, it's gotten just a bit better. There is more extension is all directions. Bass is deeper, treble is more expressive, mids are more airy. After an extended listening session I just found myself wanting to hear music via the Mimby instead of the Uber...almost like the extended listen was a better test than a quick A/B.

I'm looking forward to revisiting this test when my Cavalli amps show up. The CTH is supposed to ship at the end of this month...but I have to wait until May before I get my Liquid Carbon X (I missed the non-SDAC group buy, cuz I was an idiot). Maybe these will show even more differences? Also, based on this testing I may replace the Modi 2 Uber attached to my other listening station with a Mimby. Perhaps then I can use the Sys to A/B a "warmed up Mimby" against one freshly turned on? I think that could be fun.

My final thoughts....if you're in the market for a reasonably priced DAC that punches above its weight, the Mimby should be on the top of your list. I think it could be an end game DAC for some. For me, it's worth the stretch over the Modi 2 Uber. That being said, there are a fair number used Modi 2 Ubers out there. They are still worthy contenders for those looking for a budget friendly way to get into the hobby.

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #3,772 of 4,588
You definitely should set up an A/B test of a cold versus a warm Mimby. I’m curious to hear what you think of the difference side by side. So many people talk of hearing huge differences after warming up but I haven’t seen any true side by side comparisons.

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #3,774 of 4,588
You definitely should set up an A/B test of a cold versus a warm Mimby. I’m curious to hear what you think of the difference side by side. So many people talk of hearing huge differences after warming up but I haven’t seen any true side by side comparisons.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I need to get my hands on a second one. This test needs to happen.

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3,775 of 4,588
Until they hear the Gumby/Yggy. :)
I was thinking more about budget. Which is why I've only listened to a Bifrost so far. That is attainable for me. But there may be a listening session in the not too distant future that could include a Gumby. I fear it'll ruin me. :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #3,777 of 4,588
That assertion is almost completely meaningless, you seem to be somewhat bewildered about how it all works. I don't intend to pick a fight with you, lest it cause you further distress. I hope that you agree, even if you clearly don't understand.

You do sound like you know something. Please, do enlighten us what this all means, if this is not reclocking at the DAC past DSP:

2018-02-11 21_10_42-Happy as a Pig in Schiit_ Introducing Modi Multibit _ Page 152 _ Head-Fi.org.png

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #3,779 of 4,588
Unless you need above 48kHz/16bit don't bother with the Modi, from my experience fwiw. Even then the Modi is just 16 bits. Depending on your source you may get good improvement from a SPDIF reclocker with the Adcom, such as the iFi SPDIF iPurifier or the like. Use a quality Coax interconnect. If using with computer get a quality DDC and skip the reclocker in this case. Keep the Adcom, it's one of the better DACs in its league ever made and it will hold its own when compared with modern tech.
Funny you say that. I have 2 of the original Audio Alchemy DTI units, one with an upgraded power supply and extra large heat sink on he inside. Not he cutting edge in jitter reduction, but it does improve the optical out of my sacd player and portable cd player. That I may upgrade and get the Schiit Eitr. I also have a PSAUDIO Link Dac III, it has USB input but only up to 44k.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #3,780 of 4,588
Funny you say that. I have 2 of the original Audio Alchemy DTI units, one with an upgraded power supply and extra large heat sink on he inside. Not he cutting edge in jitter reduction, but it does improve the optical out of my sacd player and portable cd player. That I may upgrade and get the Schiit Eitr. I also have a PSAUDIO Link Dac III, it has USB input but only up to 44k.

Is there a dis- or agreement? All I was saying a reclocker is likely going to help with a vintage Adcom DAC, sounds like you say the same? As for a DDC, one that also have a I2S output can be more future proof than the Eitr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back