You want great powered monitors? Look at these:

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/m200mkiii

They are way better than the A5+.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #3,062 of 4,588
Or the Equator D5s 
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #3,063 of 4,588
Apr 11, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #3,064 of 4,588
How does it sound with the D5+'s? I'm looking into getting speakers and I'm considering the D5+ with a Modi Multibit. Another option I'm considering is LSR305's connected to Modi Multibit either via a SYS or a dbx goRack. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be interested in hearing them. Thanks!

AviP,

I've only had the Schiit pieces since last Thursday (I think it was), but I've spent some hours with both games and music flowing through them and the A5+ and am *really* pleased with the sound.  The A5+ has a volume control on the front, I really didn't need the SYS, but my speakers are set back a bit behind the monitor and having the SYS's volume up front is just convenience.  But again, I find the sound of the combination to be *very* nice!

pat----

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #3,066 of 4,588
How does it sound with the D5+'s? I'm looking into getting speakers and I'm considering the D5+ with a Modi Multibit. Another option I'm considering is LSR305's connected to Modi Multibit either via a SYS or a dbx goRack. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be interested in hearing them. Thanks!

Check out the R-15M or PM from Klipsch.
I also heard Swan M50 is good.

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #3,067 of 4,588
Greetings:

Re:  Looking for some help in choosing an external DAC that might help with brightness because of an unfortunate and negative hearing condition I've developed:  hyperacusis.

I'm looking to add an external DAC to my simple 2 channel amp system which includes: 
1 - Speakers:  Monitor Audio Bronze 2.  I purchased these because of their "sweet" sounding tweeter.
2 - Integrated Amplifier:  Cambridge CXA 60 which is a little on the bright side with its onboard DAC > 192kHz/24-bit Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC.
3 - Source:  Marantz CD 6400 which has a 24-bit Wolfson WM8740 DAC.

I'm listening to the Marantz's DAC now as it is a little warmer and fuller to me as compared to the Cambridge's thinner; brighter and a bit harsher presentation.

I was looking at the Schitt Modi Multibit for price and also the feedback that I had been hearing.  But, someone a few pages back described it's sound signature as bright or harsh in the highs if I remember correctly which makes me wonder if the Mimby is ideal for me.  Also, I live outside of the USA and to audition and send it back is not cost desirable.

So, if anyone has any suggestions, questions or helps in any way shape or form that they could offer me through their experience, I would be ever so grateful.  I find that I have to now listen at a low volume level which is not the greatest because I've experienced that equipment sounds incrementally better as volume increases - to a point.

Thanks so much fellas,

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #3,068 of 4,588
  I was looking at the Schitt Modi Multibit for price and also the feedback that I had been hearing.  But, someone a few pages back described it's sound signature as bright or harsh in the highs if I remember correctly which makes me wonder if the Mimby is ideal for me.  Also, I live outside of the USA and to audition and send it back is not cost desirable.

I can't speak how well it will suit you, but I can share my experience. I'm very sensitive to bright treble and I really enjoy the Modi Multibit in my 2-channel system and the Bifrost Multibit in my headphone rig. The Schiit Multibit DACs have great bass, very good sense of space and very 'real' sounding presentation of human voices, IMHO.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #3,069 of 4,588
  Greetings:

Re:  Looking for some help in choosing an external DAC that might help with brightness because of an unfortunate and negative hearing condition I've developed:  hyperacusis.

To my ears Wolfson-based Arcam rDac is noticeably warmer and softer than the Modi Multibit. You may want to look into NOS DACs, if your material is up to 16bit/96kHz have a look at TDA1543 based DACs, they are relatively inexpensive.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #3,070 of 4,588
To my ears Wolfson-based Arcam rDac is noticeably warmer and softer than the Modi Multibit. You may want to look into NOS DACs, if your material is up to 16bit/96kHz have a look at TDA1543 based DACs, they are relatively inexpensive.

What about ifi's burr brown in micro idsd? I find mimby a little bright too...

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #3,071 of 4,588

I can't speak how well it will suit you, but I can share my experience. I'm very sensitive to bright treble and I really enjoy the Modi Multibit in my 2-channel system and the Bifrost Multibit in my headphone rig. The Schiit Multibit DACs have great bass, very good sense of space and very 'real' sounding presentation of human voices, IMHO.

Thanks Odin:

Would you say that both your amp and speakers are on the warm side and so if the Mimby is a bit bright as a DAC, your other two components would be softening the resulting sound?

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #3,072 of 4,588

Thanks gvl:

I'm a bit of a novice.  Could you explain when you say, "if your material is up to 16bit/96kHz..."?  How does one tell if their source material is at that rate?  Also, if it is not, then I won't be able to use the TDA1543 based DACs?

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #3,074 of 4,588

Thanks Odin:

Would you say that both your amp and speakers are on the warm side and so if the Mimby is a bit bright as a DAC, your other two components would be softening the resulting sound?

​Good point, and the answer is probably yes, they would soften the sound. My amp is an Audioengine N22, which is definitely warm sounding with a slightly rolled-off treble. My speakers are Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend, which aren't particularly warm sounding, but they are also not bright.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #3,075 of 4,588
It's very interesting to jump from an entry level analytic dac to the Mimby.

It's been two days that i try to figure out the sound of it. At first i was puzzled, disapointed, it just didn't have the sparkling effect of my previous Hifmediy 90k2m, it sounded a little bit veiled to my ears, the first couple of days i was telling myself i wanted to sold it.

The psychoacoustic is something very interesting to think about in this hobby, because it took me two days to step bak a little bit from the search of the tiny lost details in the music, to step back from my analytic (disapointed) mind. I got relaxed and only then i realized th magical effect of the r2r dac, it's all about the absolute natural flow of music, cohesivevness and simple enjoyment.

Only once i putted aside my analytic mind, i was able to have this realisation.

I guess this is one of the reason why we like this hobby beyond the enjoymend of the music, it forces to rewires our brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back