Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 19, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #1,216 of 4,588
Mimby was much less bright/harsh for my T90 which has worse treble than HD800.

I stand corrected! Good to hear. More than likely still going to do the cork mod on them, but I'll take whatever treble smoothing I can get. Currently I am not 100% set on keeping them.

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #1,217 of 4,588
Mullard Blackburn 4108/E88CC/6922 goldpins. Codes are important with these tubes. The second/bottom half of the code will begin with a "B". Anything with an "R" , is from Mitcham plant. They don't sound anywhere close to the Blackburns. I spent quite some time rolling tubes with the Lyr. Had every tube imaginable. Pm me if your curious about any other presentation regarding tubes. Sorry for the thread derail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391553401194
Any ideas what those sub-strong tubes might be?

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #1,218 of 4,588
I have been searching for tubes to pair with Sennheiser HD 605 driven by a Mjolnir 2 and Beyerdynamic T90 driven by a Valhalla 2.

6N23P an 6N3P-E (with adapter) are doing a fine job with the HD 650.

Still looking for the T90 paring.  Looking for bass and reduced treble, several have come close ( PCC88 SEL Lorenz - Falcon Logo - NOS 1969?, various years of 6N1P-EV Anode and various Amperex ), yet I feel better is available.  Hoping to try some Mullards.

r2

EDIT -
Multibit for all amps.
Vali 2 with adapters and 6SN7GTA or B nails it, now to find something close for the Valhalla 2.

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,219 of 4,588
I have a Vali 2 and a bunch of NOS 6SN7s. Where can I get an adapter???????

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #1,221 of 4,588
This is the modibit thread. Let's keep it that way. Check the Vali 2 thread. I'm sure they can help.

Thank you for policing this thread. I am a Modibit owner, but also the owner of two Schiit Stacks, and any part of a Stack seems to be fair game. I just wanted a bit of important info. Sorry

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #1,223 of 4,588
I just received my Modi Multibit today

I upgraded from a cheap but good Sabre ES9023 DAC and from my first impressions, the difference is absolutely noticeable. The Sabre DAC sounded congested with poor imaging and an unnatural digital sound. The Mimby is just smooth, natural, musical and the imaging is so precise. For 279€, this thing is incredible for its price! Now I just need to let it burn in for the night.

Btw, I read that the Mimby measures better using the coaxial input than the USB input. Does it sound really better through the coax input?

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #1,224 of 4,588
I just received my Modi Multibit today

I upgraded from a cheap but good Sabre ES9023 DAC and from my first impressions, the difference is absolutely noticeable. The Sabre DAC sounded congested with poor imaging and an unnatural digital sound. The Mimby is just smooth, natural, musical and the imaging is so precise. For 279€, this thing is incredible for its price! Now I just need to let it burn in for the night.

Btw, I read that the Mimby measures better using the coaxial input than the USB input. Does it sound really better through the coax input?

I was using the Mimby with USB and was quite happy with the sound.

On a lark I tried the coax from a CD player and the difference (in my system at least) was striking. Everything was subtlely but powerfully improved. I no longer use USB/computer audio and have gone back to CDs. Which I quite enjoy because it feels more authentic for lack of a better term.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #1,225 of 4,588
I was using the Mimby with USB and was quite happy with the sound.

On a lark I tried the coax from a CD player and the difference (in my system at least) was striking. Everything was subtlely but powerfully improved. I no longer use USB/computer audio and have gone back to CDs. Which I quite enjoy because it feels more authentic for lack of a better term.

So if I want to use it to its full potential, I need to buy a USB to SPDIF converter then. Are they different from one brand to another or are they relatively similar?

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #1,226 of 4,588
So if I want to use it to its full potential, I need to buy a USB to SPDIF converter then. Are they different from one brand to another or are they relatively similar?

Someone on a forum did a USB/SPDIF converter shootout but I can't remember which. What I do remember is that the cheaper converters were not worth the money, but you'll have to look into it further. You could always burn your digital music to CDs and get a CD player/coax cable.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #1,227 of 4,588

There's no guarantee that an external USB to SPDIF converter will be better (or worse) than the built-in USB; you'll need to do research on specific models.

(Sorry, I don't have recommendations, I stick with USB for convenience, as it sounds quite good to me)

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #1,229 of 4,588
Someone on a forum did a USB/SPDIF converter shootout but I can't remember which. What I do remember is that the cheaper converters were not worth the money, but you'll have to look into it further. You could always burn your digital music to CDs and get a CD player/coax cable.

There's no guarantee that an external USB to SPDIF converter will be better (or worse) than the built-in USB; you'll need to do research on specific models.

(Sorry, I don't have recommendations, I stick with USB for convenience, as it sounds quite good to me)

I had an idea of building a Raspberry Pi 3 with a Hifiberry Digi+ SPDIF output board as my music player but I don't know if its worth the hassle.

Through USB it already sounds mighty good so I might just stick with that for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back