Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Sep 1, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #931 of 4,588
  These are my first Schiit purchases, very unhappy with this brand, Modi Multibit REV A is obviously a public beta...

Should have waited for REV B...

In balance the Magni 2 Uber Amp is excellent (REV B)...

Also no reply from Nick....

I don't get what you mean by Rev A and Rev B. And what exactly are you unhappy about?

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #932 of 4,588
Schiit Audio doesn't do business that way, if the product wasn't ready to go and perform as advertised it would never hit the market. That isn't to say something can't be wrong with a particular unit as anything can happen during shipping or a part could go bad, but they wouldn't use their customers as unknowing beta testers. 

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #933 of 4,588

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed your steps and located CMAUCWO.inf

But when opening it I get the error message "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware". I read this thread some more and found this in post #61:

Does the above have a bearing on why clicking on CMAUCWO.inf didn't work for me?

I have used this method for both Win7 and Win10 without hiccups. I don't have a XP machine to try it out.

The method i described, I used it after the installer did not work for me (for the same reason it happened to you, no device found).

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #934 of 4,588

Hah, so it does make a difference sometimes, even if that's harmful.

That said, Rob Watts quite liked the effect that it had on the eyebleedingly pricey Chord DAVE:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/3435#post_12681548

Oh, but oh why do people insist in using laptops as digital audio sources for high-end DACs? Laptops are designed for low-power computation, not for high-quality, low-noise digital audio output. Since I've been playing in the digital audio domain, and knowing a bit about hardware and software from many years of experience at my day job, I've been repeatedly baffled by the bull-headedness and aggressive ignorance of those who insist in using basically unsuitable sources to feed their prized audio systems, just because they somehow believe in the label "general-purpose" in "general-purpose computer." They may be general-purpose for munging bits (and not even that, but that's a whole different story), but that says nothing about their fitness for controlling delicate digital-and-analog circuitry. You don't use a backhoe for brain surgery.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #935 of 4,588
  These are my first Schiit purchases, very unhappy with this brand, Modi Multibit REV A is obviously a public beta...

Looks like you may have a faulty Modi Multibit. These things happen (albeit rare) and that's why there is a manufacturer's warranty to back you up. In that regard, Schitt stands behind their warranty and I'm sure they will take care of you.

I don't think it's fair to label Rev A as a public beta.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #936 of 4,588

I have used this method for both Win7 and Win10 without hiccups. I don't have a XP machine to try it out.

The method i described, I used it after the installer did not work for me (for the same reason it happened to you, no device found).

I'm puzzled why your method doesn't work in XP.

Anyway, I managed to resolve it by getting Windows to search for the driver and it found it. Now my Mimby is working and shows up in the device manager.

I'm now just curious if the driver that Windows found is the latest one (same as in Schiit's 1.16 package).

Secondly, the driver supplied by Schiit - does it come with any control panel or special controls for the Mimby?

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #937 of 4,588

I'm puzzled why your method doesn't work in XP.

Anyway, I managed to resolve it by getting Windows to search for the driver and it found it. Now my Mimby is working and shows up in the device manager.

I'm now just curious if the driver that Windows found is the latest one (same as in Schiit's 1.16 package).

Secondly, the driver supplied by Schiit - does it come with any control panel or special controls for the Mimby?

Nope.
the manual update of USB 2 driver does not come with any kinds of User Interface.
If one is able to run the installer, I'm not sure if that'll come with some panel/control widget.

After you let windows auto install drivers(which are probably windows ones) are you able to select select wasapi output devices in your audio player?

Sep 2, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #938 of 4,588

It does sound like it's possible that you have a DOA unit- not impossible given that they sell a lot of kit. However, it does rather sound like you're ranting just a little about how 2+2=5 at this point, not very rational. There is a difference between an unfinished design and a production fault- might I suggest that you take a deep breath, and calm down?

It's a shame that your unit is potentially faulty, and somewhat lame that they haven't got back to you, but you do seem to be going somewhat off-piste right now.

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #939 of 4,588
After you let windows auto install drivers(which are probably windows ones) are you able to select select wasapi output devices in your audio player?

I use foobar2000 and these are the output options I get. Which one would be the wasapi output device (if there is one)?

Update: did some reading. Seems that XP does not support wasapi (Vista and above only).

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #940 of 4,588
Sep 2, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #941 of 4,588
  Oh, but oh why do people insist in using laptops as digital audio sources for high-end DACs? Laptops are designed for low-power computation, not for high-quality, low-noise digital audio output. Since I've been playing in the digital audio domain, and knowing a bit about hardware and software from many years of experience at my day job, I've been repeatedly baffled by the bull-headedness and aggressive ignorance of those who insist in using basically unsuitable sources to feed their prized audio systems, just because they somehow believe in the label "general-purpose" in "general-purpose computer." They may be general-purpose for munging bits (and not even that, but that's a whole different story), but that says nothing about their fitness for controlling delicate digital-and-analog circuitry. You don't use a backhoe for brain surgery.

Sigh.

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #943 of 4,588

Update: did some reading. Seems that XP does not support wasapi (Vista and above only).

Although it's not as good an option as WASAPI, you can do direct bit-exact audio over USB under XP using the "kernel streaming" output component in Foobar:

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_ks

That should work reasonably well for you, HTH!

That said, you really shouldn't be using Windows XP at all any more- especially on a machine with any sort of network connection. It isn't getting regular security patches any more, and is unsupported as of 2014.

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #945 of 4,588

Ordered the Mimby/Valhalla 2 and had been previously using nothing but USB for my hi-fi audio previously.

I added an Uptone Regen to the USB chain and that improved things. I was happy as a hog in Schiit. Until on a hunch, I pulled out a Sony DVDs player I had laying around and plugged in the digital coax to the Mimby. Now, I'd heard people bitch about USB audio before, and declare the superiority of SPDIF, but I ignored it. USB to SPDIF converters were too expensive and I loved the convenience and compartmentalization of computer based audio. I even got excellent results going from foobar to JRiver and finally to Bughead Emperor, the best computer audio program I'd ever heard, by a country mile.

But that Sony dvd player with digital coax into the Mimby smoked them all. I really didn't know just how good my equipment was until I popped in a CD and used digital coax from a CD player. I immediately sold my Regen and USB cable and have ditched computer audio entirely. Compared to coax, USB was was noisy, grainy, and veiled. Of course I wouldn't have said that when I was happily using USB but I didn't know what I was missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back