Hansotek’s FocusPad-A Mod
Dec 30, 2014 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hansotek

These waters flow with our liquid mids.
BACKGROUND:
This mod came about because I could never quite find a happy medium with the sound and comfort of the HE500. Various pad swaps resulted in hot treble, anemic bass, muddy instrument separation, shrunken soundstage, etc. You’d fix one problem with a pad swap, but a whole new one would show up.

After lots of experimenting (and many ruined pads) I devised this mod, which I feel offers the best sound with the fewest compromises. Also, I would be remiss if I didn’t give due credit Jerg and all of his wonderful research from the Jergpad thread. His contribution can’t be overstated.

SOUND:
Relative to the FocusPad-A, you get a larger soundstage with slightly better separation and equal imaging capability. Frequency-wise, you can expect equal bass, slightly softer treble (still very detailed but with ZERO sibilance) and a less shouty sounding/very pleasant midrange.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
-FocusPad-A
-The foam spacer rings from the HiFiMan Leather Pads
-#2 Pencil
-Xacto Knife

Optional:
-Double sided tape
-Sticky tabs (for back venting)

TUTORIAL:
Step 1: Remove the foam spacer ring from the leather pads.

Step 2: Use the pencil to poke 10-12 equally spaced holes through the center of the foam spacer ring.  You’ll notice the holes close when you pull out the pencil. Use the Xacto knife to open up the holes further so they are about pencil width.

Step 3: Insert the foam spacer ring underneath the plastic attachment ring on the underside of the FocusPad-A. It might take a little pushing and stretching, but the inner circumference of the spacer should match that of the plastic attachment ring.

Optional steps:

Step 4: Back venting: Cut 4 plastic sticky tabs (2 per side) and stick them on either side of the attachment tab on the THICK side of the FocusPad-A. (This side of the pad should be toward the back of your head once it is attached.)

Step 5: Pad seal: Trim double sided tape and place on the front half of the pad. When you attach the pad, press down firmly after clipping it on so the tape seals the pad to the headphone. This helps improve sub bass response. There should be just enough room to clip the last plastic clip between the back vent spacers.

That's it! I hope you enjoy this mod as much as I do. I'll do my best to answer any questions.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 5
Might try this simple mod when I get the Focus-A's in! Cheers

Nice! Please post your impressions... I'd love for others to weigh in. :beerchug:

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 5
I just did this mod, using Brainwavz thick angled pleather pads, on my HE400i.

The sound is much improved to my ears.  It has better bass and sub-bass response.
The sparkle on the highs is now lowered a little more.  The mids are nice and rich.
The sound stage is extended a bit further now.  There is more detail now.

It might be a little darker and warmer, but it is a a nice improvement.

Now to go do the fuzor mod, and make some new grills. :)

Thank you for posting this mod.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 5
Awesome dude! Thanks for your impressions. I'm still loving this mod. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back