hands up who uses the search button before posting
Nov 1, 2008 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

qusp

Member of the Trade: Twisted Cables
Hi all
L3000.gif
every day i'm dumbfounded by the amount of 'which IEM under $200' and 'which portable amp' threads that are posted.
confused_face(1).gif

how many people here use the search button?? I mean I know that most of these can be accounted for by new members and I guess we cant be too hard on them, but there is a search function on almost every website, so thats not really an excuse. there are many great and comprehensive threads on these subjects and almost none of the new threads offer anything different from the average request.

BTW how do I set up a poll? just wondering if there is anything that we can do about this problem; and exactly how many people use the button when trying to find something. Because with each new thread on the same subject, the search function becomes less useful, because if you search a myriad of different threads with the same basic subject matter come up.

Is there something we can do about this???

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 94
Short of getting out the gun, no. It's a problem in all forums. I fanatically write up FAQs and the like, sticky useful threads and plaster links to them in prominent places all over my forum where possible and it works to a degree. People are lazy (and inconsiderate) and just want someone else to think for them. The other problem is, searching is a skill, not helped by people using abbreviations all over head-fi. To make it worse, some words are simply un-searchable, "zero" for example (try it). You have to use Google, but how many people know how to use site:head-fi.org in Google?

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 94
yeah I know
frown.gif
people will be people I guess. probably not a lot can be done, but it just blows me away how somebody can post a new thread directly under a thread that contains the info that they are after. thats beyond lazy its something else altogether and I don't think I need to use that word.
\
and before anyone says it; I realize i'm making that search harder by starting a thread that really doesn't answer any questions. I love irony
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Short of getting out the gun, no. It's a problem in all forums. I fanatically write up FAQs and the like, sticky useful threads and plaster links to them in prominent places all over my forum where possible and it works to a degree. People are lazy (and inconsiderate) and just want someone else to think for them. The other problem is, searching is a skill, not helped by people using abbreviations all over head-fi. To make it worse, some words are simply un-searchable, "zero" for example (try it). You have to use Google, but how many people know how to use site:head-fi.org in Google?

^
Hey i don't know how to use that but i do this ( what i want head-fi ) instead
tongue.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 94
My seaches are like this for example:

'site:head-fi.org beyer dt880 -2005 -2006'

the '-' sign tells Google to exclude any entries that include that phase, this example being '2006' and '2005', which is good if you want to exclude old posts and view modern options of a thing.

I use 'site:head-fi.org' all the time :p

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 94
I haven't knew that this "site:head-fi.org beyer dt880 -2005" works. pretty cool, thanks for that hint.

I have used the search alot but I still thought that I haven't got all the information I've wanted so I started a new thread... but well, this is how boards work, especially such big ones like head-fi

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 94
Most people find alt+d tab s down enter whatyouwanttofind enter is a lot easier than reaching for that bloody mouse, scrolling up, clicking search, clicking on the google custom search, and then getting modified search results that don't match what you would get using the site:head-fi.org method.

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #13 of 94
For those who are really lazy about the 'site:head-fi.org' thingy, I just created a custom browser plug-in with google engine which will automatically insert the 'site:head-fi.org' for you and limits your search w/i head-fi.org.

You can find it at Mozdev.org's Mycroft Project page, under the name ['Google Head-Fi' by ClieOS].

Same info here.

Nov 2, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #14 of 94
I'm a member of a few torrent sites on which if you ask something that's searchable, your posts get trashed right away. I jsut started here, but I'm on a lot of forums all the time.

I know I created a new IEM thread because of questions I thought would be specific to myself. I do agree with you though.

The search button is your friend, one you should use on the regular. Like that friend that's over 21. Or is gullible and has a sweet car.. use them often...

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #15 of 94
cool
biggrin.gif
great to know that at least some people do
biggrin.gif
and I got a few search tips to boot. some good info in there guys, but only of help to those who already do it; those who cant be bothered using a SIMPLE search tool certainly wont go that deep unfortunately.

kaldaim: I knew there would be one post at least like yours
tongue.gif
I was waiting for it, thus my comment on irony.

naes41091: hey man its cool, if you really didn't think your questions could be answered in the other threads and you had your own angle then thats fine; I just hate it when I see the same thread day after day, maybe with the only variation being in what type of music they like to listen to.

but is there any reason you didn't just post your variation/question in one of the pre-existing threads? I mean I myself try and pop my head into them every few days and try and give a little, but I just couldn't be bothered looking at all of them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back