Hands-on review KZ ZSN iem’s
Feb 22, 2019 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

8bitfanatic

New Head-Fier
Hands on review KZ ZSN iem

Introduction and conclusion

KZ has released a new set of budget friendly iem’s. Not only are they bang for their buck but they also have a new trick up their sleave. They are nog longer heavily v-shaped, they are rather neutral sounding (sort of). Also they let go the bulky design of the ZS5/ZS6 and chose a more ear-friendly shape.

For the inpatient ones here’s my conclusion.....

The $15-20 you will be spending on this set of IEM’s will be well spend. They sound great, powerful, open en have a slightly addictive boosted bass. Detail is great for the money and, for the ones that care about looks, they look great. Definitely a keeper for me!

Unboxing

KZ isn’t known for its luxurious packaging. Being a relatively cheap set of iem’s the packaging is simple and serves its purpose. A glossy white carbon box which when opened, first only reveals the iem’s by itself. But at this stage the unboxing is fun as the iem’s look really great! The metal back sides are facing so its the only thing you see. Right under it you will find the cables and several tips and different sizes.

Build quality

The iem’s are made out of plastic, in different colors which you can choose from upon ordering. I have the green ones which look pretty much as an expensive product. Instead of being bulky, the shape is rather anatomical. They will fit nicely into your ear shelf and in your ear canal. Once inserted into your ear, you will hardly feel you are wearing them.

The cable has been improved since previous versions. The memory wire it’s very comfortable and there is a firm attachments from cable to IEM.I have one with a microphone and a start and stop button. The 3.5 mm jack plug has a 90 degree bend for easy connecting to a a phone.

Sound quality

This is what we want to know: how does it sound. As mentioned in the introduction it has a more neutral tone setting than for example the KZ6. Mids are for more forward so vocals and (metal)guitars are not longer tucked away.

Directly after unboxing the iem’s disappointed me. The bass was for too pronounced and mids and highs were not that great. After let’s say, 24 hours of burning in, the sound signature was developed enough and more in balance. After that, it only became better and now has a rather addictive taste for me. Bass is still slight forward, but powerful and deep. I can really feel the sub bass kicking in in some songs.

Detail is good but you should not compare it with analytical type of detail. Just enough detail to enjoy music, not analyse it. It’s a fun set of iem’s in which music is projected powerfully and big so to speak. It’s a great addition to my collection.

And don’t forget, if you loose them, roughly less than 20 bucks is the only damage taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back