Handmade electronics: BEWARE
Oct 29, 2004 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Zemo

500+ Head-Fier
I had some experiences with handmade....needless to say they won't get my business again.

I placed an order, the email I got back:

"Your credit card was declined 3 times in two days."

That was it...no info about resubmitting, no contact phone number, nothing. After a couple emails back in forth, I resolved to get on their website, place something into my shopping cart so I could log in, look up my old order, and give the dude a call. He then proceeded to give me a lecture about how he can't ship to a different address than the billing address, yata yata yata, despite there being a seperate billing and shipping address area. All of my cards are registered at my permanent address, not the address where I currently am, so NONE of my cards would allow him to ship to me...I asked about paypal, but since none of these cards are registered at this address, I can't confirm my address with paypal, and subsequentally, he can't ship to me.

After trying to reason with him for a while (other companies ship to me with no problems, etc etc etc), I gave up and said "fine, cancel my order"

His response? The A-hole hung up on me! He freakin' HUNG UP on me....What a person. He's never getting my business again.

I'm sure Pete has something he'd like to add.

-Z

Oct 29, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 17
Other people have had problems with this dude before...search the forums
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 17
Dealings with this company aside, I suggest you set up your current address as an authorized alternate shipping address with your credit cards (or at least one of them). I did that for my work address with one of mine and I now never have that problem.

Oct 29, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 17
Shipping to non-validated address is prime scam avenue. Business owners have a right to protect themselves from fraudulent chargebacks. It's not hard at all to register a 2nd shipping address with most credit card companies.

Oct 29, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboo
Shipping to non-validated address is prime scam avenue. Business owners have a right to protect themselves from fraudulent chargebacks. It's not hard at all to register a 2nd shipping address with most credit card companies.

The OP did not say anything about non-validated addresses. He said HME won't allow it at all.

Oct 29, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

It's not hard at all to register a 2nd shipping address with most credit card companies.

I've done that. They asked me the standard questions to verify who I was, and then they took the second address with no more questions. No difficulty at all.

Oct 29, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 17
so don't give em business. its YOUR money.
he won't go out of business without your purchase, you won't lose anything without purchasing anything from him.

just hope he keeps it up and then he can go out of business.

Oct 29, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dokebi
Zemo, if you dont mind, out of curiousity what did you order? If no details what was the total amount of your order?

About $20 worth of wire is all.

-Z

Oct 31, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 17
Hmm. I have ordered several times from Handmade without problems, everything shipped same day, came next day...

Although when I did call him once he didn't seem like he was in the best of moods, he did answer everything and settled everything for me, even going beyond his "normal rules" of sale. (I cancelled an entire PayPal order, which is
explicitly said on his website as final.)

Nov 1, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 17
A mood is something that should be left at home. I went to test some speakers once and the guy was in a bit of a "mood". Anyway he said something and i quietly left with my $3000 for some other shop. Even though the Audio Vector M3 signatures were nice, I'm not helping someone who is rude to me make money.

B&W 705s are now on the cards and I'm not going back into his store!

Nov 1, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
Hmm. I have ordered several times from Handmade without problems, everything shipped same day, came next day...

Although when I did call him once he didn't seem like he was in the best of moods, he did answer everything and settled everything for me, even going beyond his "normal rules" of sale. (I cancelled an entire PayPal order, which is
explicitly said on his website as final.)

Same thing for me.
The one time HE messed up my order and I called him he was pretty... not nice but I dunno if I would call it rude...... but we managed to sort it all out.

Z.
Did you use your normal personality when you talked to him or was you...?

I can almost see it now.
One "you suck" or "boy you are a smart one" and he hangs up on you.
biggrin.gif

(kidding of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back