Handel's Messiah
Mar 26, 2010 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

greatgoat

New Head-Fier
Hi folk, not made many postings on the forum but been lurking for a while.

Just curious to know peoples favourite recording of Handel's Messiah and if anyone can recommend me a version, prefrably an older recording I might find on vinyl.

Mar 26, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 16
I'm a fan of Christopher Hogwood's recording, mostly because of Emma Kirkby, and a really lovely boys choir.

Mar 26, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 16
I have owned many versions. My favorite so far has been the John Eliot Gardiner, played with period instruments. Highly recommended.
Also, next time you go to London, a trip to the British Library (St Pancras exit-subway) look for the original manuscript signed by Handel himself. They also have the original manuscript the soloists used in the Dublin premiere.
Some of the more modern recordings have used huge orchestras and choirs (a la Mormon Tabernacle), unlike the original performance.
And of course, don't forget to pay your respect at his burial place at Westminster's Abby.

Mar 26, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 16
William Christie (Harmonia Mundi) and Trevor Pinnock (Archiv)

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 16
For Messiah I prefer the older versions that are so terrible not Historically Informed. They are adulterated, sometimes bizarre, and they don't do it like that anymore. They are also thrilling, magical, and exciting -- over orchestration and all. So, look for the old recording by Sir Thomas Beecham on LP -- heady stuff.

Mar 27, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 16
Thanks everyone, I shall be spending the day trawling charity (thrift) shops and second hand record dealers armed with your advice. I know there is a a VG condition John Eliot Gardiner box set at a local store, if I can barter them down enough I will try a couple of other recordings.

Thanks for the info about the British Library gilency, I will pop in for a look next time I am there.

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 16
I hope is still there. There was a room with original manuscripts including some from Chopin and Bach. Next to them there were some original Beatles works, a Magna Carta, and several ancient Torahs, Quorans and Bibles. It was the highlight of my visit to London, just 2 weeks before the subway bombings.

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned many versions. My favorite so far has been the John Eliot Gardiner, played with period instruments. Highly recommended.

This is the version that I have also, and recommend it.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #12 of 16
I have both the Gardiner recording and the Christophers (with the Sixteen). Overall I prefer the latter, with the intimacy of a 19 voice choir, although there are a couple of choruses I prefer in the former.

My idea of hell is a massed choir singing the Hallelujah, heaven a small choir and the Amen....

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #13 of 16
LOL. I wholeheartedly agree with you!
I dislike huge masses of singers which sound like a blur without clarity like the Tabernacle Choir.
That's why I like Baroque music played with small groups playing instruments of the period.
Bu again, we may be in the minority.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 16
I really like the recording on Naxos conducted by Higginbottom (The Academy of Ancient Music and Choir of New College Oxford). They use all trebles instead of sopranos, the solos too! It's a nice change from the standard version, apparently Handel himself used this setup in a 1751 performance in Dublin.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #15 of 16
Does anyone have a recording of the Mozart arrangement? I've performed it, but only have our dodgy recording of it. The arrangements are generally more lush than the original, but "Trumpet Shall Sound" played by the horn instead tends to put people off somewhat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back