hand washing
Jun 16, 2002 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
In the interest of totally random "let's get to know each other" BSing in the general forum, how many of you guys wash your hands after you use a public bathroom?

Feel free to post your reasons for or against or just vote and remain anonymous if you're embarassed about your position on the issue.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 84
I always wash not only to get rid of my germs, but because when I grab the lever to flush the toilet, the previous users germs will be on there. Oh and I don't get why people don't use public bathrooms, if I need to go, I go. Phobic people are weird.

Jun 16, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 84
After I wash I use the paper towel to open the door. SInce only 50% of people wash there hands you don't have to think very hard to imagine what is on the door handle.

A general rule of thumb when eating out. Th cleaner the toilet the better chance you have that the kitchen is clean as well. While Im on it never take unwrapped mints at the door. Hands go into those as well.

Jun 16, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 84
Why haven't bathroom designers figured out that the main bathroom door exit should be a push-open, not pull-open door. Some of us wash our hands... but many others do not.

Everyone has to touch the same door handle when they leave, yanno... ewwwww!

Jun 16, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 84
FYI a recent study of germs in the workplace demonstrated that the germiest place is the desk, well ahead of the toilet seat...I suppose that at your own desk, the germs will be yours, whereas in public restrooms the germs are from all and sundry, so hand-washing is a good idea.

Jun 16, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 84
Always, and not just at public restrooms either. Former Surgeon General Satcher prached that frequent hand is the number one thing the public could to do improve the public's health!

I don't care for getting sick and I certainly don't like to be the one that gives it to everyone.

I suppose that one could argue that germs are natural and being sick is natural too. For the response to that I say we bring back smallpox and throw away the vaccine becuase, after all, smallpox virus is natural!

Jun 16, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 84
Reminds me of a Farside where a guy came out of the bathroom and a large sign saying "Didn't Wash His Hands" flashed.
Always!
md

Jun 16, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 84
Feel free to post your own stance any time, kelly.
wink.gif

I wash my hands after using public restrooms (which I try not to do very often... the general public seems to have bad, uh, aim). Only use soap and/or use a paper towel to open the door if the place is really dirty.

Jun 16, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 84
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Feel free to post your own stance any time, kelly.
wink.gif

I wash my hands after using public restrooms. Only use soap and/or use a paper towel to open the door if the place is really dirty.

dhw
Well, you know the sooner I post my point of view, the sooner somebody whines that it was offensive and the thread gets closed so I'll just kick back for now and read. I've not even voted.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's cool to be getting replies, though.

Jun 16, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 84
Well kelly, you gotta admit... this would be a great thread for somebody to crap in. Might as well be the thread-starter.
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 84
I don't see what the big deal about germs is.. I don't wash my hands too often, and I've never gotten sick from it.. All this bad talk about germs is just hype from the soap companies.. I think that overcleanliness causes more harm than good in the long run. If you've been free of germs all your life, and one day you forget to wash, you are at much higher risk of getting sick.

Jun 17, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 84
Well I seem to be zack's antithesis. I tend to wash my hands not only after going to the washroom (public or otherwise), but several times a day for no apparent reason, especially in the summer time when the hands are kinda sweaty and sticky. In fact, I think I'll go wash them again now... You can never be too clean, right? I don't use soap that often though. I find cold water does the job just fine.

Jun 17, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #14 of 84
i generally always wash my hands, public or non-public bathroom. i also wash my hands randomly, and often find myself going to the bathroom JUST to watch my hands because they feel dirty and i like feeling clean. no i'm not a germophobe or twisted psycho, i just like feeling clean and smelling nice. that bath & body works soap is the best too! my theory is that if every public bathroom had that kind of soap in it, the whole country would be a much cleaner place..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back