Hand held retro gaming emulation!
May 9, 2019 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
As a collector/ fan of retro gaming. I have discovered some new devices that have caught my fancy. Playing emulators on my LG Android phone has been ok but now I am seeing dedicated handhelds pop up on Aliexpress with the sole idea of having your gaming on the go. This thread I want to start is for the game hobbyist that like them some gadgetry. Some Geekery,

To be honest kinda cool devises you can sneak a game of mario during lunch and a lot more. This thread is for retro emulation.

Video-Game-Console-New-BittBoy-Version3-Retro-Game-Handheld-Games-Console-Player-Progress-Save-Load-MicroSD.jpg

Bittboy

OPENDINGUX-OPEN-SOURCE-CONSOLE-LDK-game-2-6inch-Screen-16G-Mini-Handheld-Children-and-Family-Retro.jpg_640x640.jpg

LDK handheld
coolbaby-RS-97-RETRO-Handheld-Game-Console-electronic-games-for-children-retro-video-emulator-retro-mini.jpg

RS-97 AKA Retogame.
Newest-Original-GPD-XD-Plus-5-Inch-Android-7-0-system-4-GB-32-GB-MTK.jpg_640x640.jpg

GPD XD plus

May 9, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 22
I currently own all 4 of these devices and if I was to rate them in order I would say
GPD XD plus, LDK, bitboy and RS-97. Though all of them do the one thing that is the reason for this thread. They all can emulate your favorite retro consoles. I figure there has to be some entusiasts here that like to sneak in a quick game of Resident Evil 2 on the go on their bitboy. Lol. I will post some links to the newest updated firmwares for the devices and will most definitely encourage trying out one of these devices for the love of all things Retro gaming.

Showed a coworker my LDK running wipeout XL for Playstation one emulation and he just about freaked. Very geeky but very cool!.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 22
So I just got the newest bittboy V3 today. Got 2 LDKs and 2 bittboys. I am loading custom firmware onto my newest bittboy V3. All the newest bittboys are all gonna be V3. Improved from V2 is that it now has a tempered glass. They fixed a minor issue with ghosting in version V2 otherwise pretty much the same thing.

Bitboys costing $35. Bang for buck but no shoulder buttons. Does affect some games. Some aren't playable due to this device not having any shoulder buttons. But it is pretty cool playing Road Rash 3D on a tiny screen.

May 11, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 22
Haven't tried rooting mine but I am happy with the PSP and PS one emulation and everything under that. Got a few Saturn and Dreamcast games running. I read the GPD runs much better when rooted. Rooting looks a bit complicated. Don't want to brick my machine. Definitely happy with what it can do.

GC emulation I can run a few 2D games but 3D stuff is not good. Got a DOOM.WAD launcher I recently loaded on it and plays the old DOOM games amazing. Might try to install DOOM 3 launcher and try that.

May 12, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 22
It is strange as most games I tried using Yaba Sanshiro run sketchy but runs Panzer Dragoon Zwei pretty good. Haven't tried saving anything but I read save states work as well as in game. It is playable actually. I saw a youtube vid of some guy saying his rooted GPD runs Saturn emulation much better.

I am running the paid version of the .EMU emulators on my GPD. Have a 128 gig external card completely maxed out with games. Thinking about migrating the roms onto a 256 for more actually.

PPSSPP gold has been running really well on my GPD. Most of my PSP games runs great using that.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 22
I made myself a DMG Game Boy Zero. It's not the easiest thing to carry around. I'm hoping that with the next version of the PocketGo (or an update) they fix issues with running SNES games. That thing would be great to carry around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back